Imap Gmail sending issues

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by kuluminati, Jul 7, 2008.

1. photoblogger

photoblogger New Member

It sure is. I've not gone back to refine my steps or make them clearer, but whatever I wrote up there worked and is working.

Remember, in recreating your gmail acct per gmail instructions (that's linked somewhere above), be sure to uncheck Save Sent Messages. These don't make it to your external storage even with the registry hack!!
  2. sprintadv

sprintadv New Member

Congrats & thanks for the explanation addition.

It seemed from reading your procedure that it's an authentication issue on some server on google's or carrier's side - so why would "uncheck Save Sent Messages" have to do with anything?

& if I can summarize your steps as follows:

1. Open pocket outlook mail options for Gmail Acct
    2. First password entry is actual for incoming mail
    3. 2nd pw entry is 'fake' - no pw memorized
    4. Test send
    5. Enter real pw in 2nd pw section under outgoing settings - pw memorized
    6. Test send again
  3. photoblogger

photoblogger New Member

My thoughts and threads were crossed-- I was thinking about gmail setup/recreation! :O (still worth repeating, all the same)
  4. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Imap set up for Gmail
    enter g@g for address
    next
    do not do automatic settings
    server is imap.gmail.com
    choose imap4
    next
    username and password fill inn check save
    next
    server is smtp.gmail.com
    check both boxes
    go to advanced check both boxes
    done
    next
    set up your options
    next
    set more settings
    finished

these directions are right from gmail and work fine every time.
  5. photoblogger

photoblogger New Member

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just collecting more stats. This weekend, my gmail send failed again, so I tried my trick (reset password), and it didn't work until I deleted my drafts/outbox messages. Once deleted, my password reset must have done the trick.
    Perhaps some authentication or bugginess becomes part of the message somehow? or the phone's internal the db sync'ing it is "tainted" on initial failure?
  6. PhL0aTeR

PhL0aTeR New Member

Beat away.... ive been having this problem for roughly 48 hours and i didnt want to delete the account and recreate due to about 20 e-mails in my outbox waiting to be sent..... finally went ahead and just deleted all of them out of my outbox (waiting to be sent) and went ahead and took one out of the drafts folder as well..... sent a test message to my yahoo address and it went through flawlessly...... no recreating, no changing passwords, etc... just deleting outbox...... pretty whack fix if you ask me, i guess i need to start hitting send/rcv after every mail to make sure i dont build up a ton of emails that i waste by deleting....
  7. photoblogger

photoblogger New Member

That's great news. I've not been so fortunate. I am stuck in no-send funk. Is there a google group dedicated to WM6 imap gmail issues? I'd like to scientifically dissect the issue: when it happens, is it just me or everyone? Everyone on moto-Q or WM6?

Some theories I've not really tested yet:
    - Is it when I have opened an attachment that I can "no longer send?"
    - Is it that Send is issued during an automated trolling of the account?
    - What affects this? (does power cycling improve anything, what about TaskMan killing other processes)

Here is something I am thinking of setting up: have my gmail used just as gmail, but then have another gmail that I use for "must compose" that doesn't actually go out and sync any folders: this I would use for composing a msg or sending pics to my photo blog. Would this reduce the occurrence of clogged/broken send in some way? Would both imap "accounts" be broken at the same time every time?

Is it really my job to fix this? :)
  8. PhL0aTeR

PhL0aTeR New Member

FWIW it just happened to me again, funny thing is, same address i tried to send to..... i tried to manually snd.rcv and got the error, went to the outbox, deleted the e-mail and sent myself a test message and got it just fine, sent, no prob..... went back to re-compose the e-mail and got the error message. also might bear to mention that i was replying to a message, not sure if it will be the same if i send a cold e-mail to the same address.

OK, just fired off a fresh e-mail to the problem address and it went through fine....... crazy....

findings so far is that its just a problem with this address, but the address is correct, as proven by the fresh, seems to just be a problem when replyiong, as come to think about it, ive only tried to reply to this person twice, and had failures both times....
  9. photoblogger

photoblogger New Member

good sleuthing!
    Unfortunately for me (and for anyone else following along with this unfolding drama), however, I don't get the same treatment: I've been unable to send for a few days now (only from gmail/imap) and have tried replies, compositions to new addresses, etc. Nada.

I wonder, did you set up your gmail imap per their instructions (not storing a Sent msg, etc)?

btw, dig your avatar ;)
  10. PhL0aTeR

PhL0aTeR New Member

Well, i did set up the gmail via IMAP per gmails instructions for WM5, but i just looked through it and there is no option for storing any sent messages in the setup, furthermore, when i do send a message, it is not stored on my phone at all, my sent folder is empty.

And thanks, although i cant take credit for it, i saw it on the index of a webpage and curiously clicked on it and dug it as well... lol
  11. glorify

glorify Member

I have just resorted to not having an email account at all and manually going thru gmail in the browser. Really blows. Email is one of the main importances of a phone like this.
  12. PhL0aTeR

PhL0aTeR New Member

I agree....

Well, it happened to me again, same address, i was replying, like i had before, and had an error sending.... i delete the message that failed, start a new message, re-type the same body, and it goes through fine.... next time i reply to this person i will change the subject field, see if that helps.
  13. photoblogger

photoblogger New Member

keep the tests coming.. for lack of a better place to log and keyword stuff windows mobile 6 sending gmail over imap problems, we may find a solution yet :)

Myself, I'm still stuck in "can't send mode". Period.
  14. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Im sure you guys tried, but I set it up as per the instructions on the gmail site. not one problem in 3 months.
  15. photoblogger

photoblogger New Member

Also, for what it's worth, I tried unchecking "same log on info for send/receive" and duplicated my user/pass to no avail. Nothing in my Outbox, nothing in Drafts, I compose a new msg, and I get the Error Sending message.
  16. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

did you set it up for imap4?
  17. photoblogger

photoblogger New Member

yes
    (and yes, I too had no problems following and using gmail's recommended setup for imap on WM6.. it just surfaces now and again, and this time seems to have stuck)
  18. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

strange. Knock on wood, never had a problem. what happens if you delete the account and start over?
  19. photoblogger

photoblogger New Member

As mentioned at the start of this thread, deleting the account and reestablishing it, historically, works like a charm. But I'm hoping to diagnose and solve this issue, b/c it's really irksome and shouldn't be.
  20. PhL0aTeR

PhL0aTeR New Member

agreed, but if all else fails you have to have a starting point.... do you have anything in your outbox? drafts? if not, it blows my theories out of the water for a standard fix, but for some reason im able to pinpoint mine and avoid it for the time being...