ICS/Tethering Problem with SCH-i770(VZW)

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by venom89, Jan 11, 2010.

1. venom89

venom89 New Member

ICS/Tethering Problem with SCH-i770(VZW)

After many hours tinkering around with my i770 I cannot get it to tether with my laptop for the world. I would like to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) in order to tether, and at first just use USB. At a later point I might use wifirouter, but I'm first focused on getting the USB to work. So I grabbed the .cab and installed fine onto the device. When I run it, there is a dropdown box with "Network Connection:", but there is no options to select, regardless if my broadband connect (#777) is connected or not. I looked through the registry a little bit, but couldn't find any subdirectory for connection sharing, or any significant values to change. All other threads I've read say there is no other adjustments required, just to install the missing cab, run, and connect. I've also tried using PDAnet to no avail, it gave me a standard issue connection failed error, can't remember verbatim what it was at the time though, would have to go back and look.

Any idea's?
  2. txter

txter New Member

when you plug into your pc make sure you stop all syncs. it won't work if the phone is doing something else
  3. venom89

venom89 New Member

How might I go about stopping the syncs? I've tried killing activesync on the phone via task manager. I think the problem arises before I even plug in though, as there is no network to select to share.
  4. txter

txter New Member

first in your start menu ..do you have a program that says Intent Sharing? you need that. it is free so go get it. 2nd, on your pc in your task bar click on the Active Sync program and hit sop all syncs.
  5. venom89

venom89 New Member

Internet Sharing is installed on my Saga. Abbreviated IntShrUI in the program menu. I'm running Vista so ActiveSync is definitely not running. I've tried disabling the activesync replacement WMDC though, to no avail. I have no problem connecting the saga to the laptop, its just in Internet Sharing on the phone theres no connection to "share". I literally can't hit connect, its greyed out.
  6. txter

txter New Member

ya... i meant WMDC. make sure your phones internet is closed..(pie, opera, etc) check in settings/connections/usb to pc and see if its checked or unchecked. mine is checked.
    did Internet Sharing come installed or did you DL it? try to uninstall and reinstall.
    something is connecting somewhere and thats whats stopping it from working.

you can try to DL this. its the same thing as you have but mabey reinstalling it will fix the prob. just a guess.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=321393
  7. venom89

venom89 New Member

USB to PC is checked.

Internet Sharing was not installed (WM6.1), I tried the .exe/.dll given in your link. Same thing, just no network connections to connect to in the drop-down box.

One thing I noticed is that it adds InternetPPP (#777) under "My ISP" connections in Network Management and the default selection is "Auto-Pick". Not sure if this means anything.

I've tried using the Internet Sharing app connected to broadband access, disconnected to broadband access, as well as having activesync killed on the phone. Not sure what to do :dft006:unhappy
  8. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

You have some goofed up settings. A master reset is in your future to get it going. There's nothing in Activesync that needs messing with.

Install icsinstall.cab after the reset and you will be good to go.
  9. venom89

venom89 New Member

Hard Reset = Phone > Right Soft Key > Options > Security > Reset?

If so, I've done that, a few times now actually :016:upset
  10. txter

txter New Member

settings
    system
    hard reset
  11. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Have you installed any other tethering apps simultaneously or tried to use the Moden Link? I have found they often conflict and mess each other up.

The cab that works for me is this http://67.122.16.97/lars/misc/smartphone/saga/ICSInstall.zip
  12. txter

txter New Member

look at this...
    settings/system/data connection/
    it should be set to the top one...internal data call
  13. venom89

venom89 New Member

Under settings/system, I do not see anything relative to "connection"/"data connection"
  14. venom89

venom89 New Member

Still looking for some help on this one.
  15. phkc070408

phkc070408 New Member

Have you figured this out yet? I'm having the same problem.