Icons at top of home screen

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by jherm, Jan 12, 2007.

1. jherm

jherm New Member

Icons at top of home screen

I want to get rid of some of the shortcut icons that are appearing at the top of my homescreen. even when i kill the process in task manager the shortcut still appears and i want to get rid of it. how can i do that?
  2. scottjb

scottjb New Member

It sounds like you're referring to the MRU (most recently used) plug-in. You would have to remove it from your home screen xml to get it off of the home screen.
  3. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

MRU List

I think Scott is correct. The MRU list just shows you the programs that you've run most recently, which provides a shortcut to opening them again (instead of going into the Start menu).

Why do you want to get rid of some of them? As you run other programs, the ones used longest ago will eventually disappear. So if you really want to get rid of some of the icons, run several other programs.

In the Pocket PC (at least before WM 5), I knew a registry hack to reset the MRU list, but I couldn't find a similar place on the Q. (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Shell\StartMRU has an InitialOrder value, but I think that only applies after a Master Reset. I assume that you don't want to do that. :wink:)

Steve
  4. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Maybe he wants to remove the voicemail and missed call indicators etc. Editing the XML would do that too.
  5. tilley

tilley New Member

- where this xml file is? With what tool/app you use to edit that? thanks.
  6. scottjb

scottjb New Member

The xml home screen files are located in \Application Data\Home. I edit them right on the mobile using Orneta Notepad, or copy them to my PC via ActiveSync, then use a text editor.
  7. jherm

jherm New Member

if you turn the phone off and then turn it back on, does the MRU list start over? would there be fewer programs there?
  8. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

MRU Icons

Come on, you could turn your phone off and find out yourself. :wink: However, the list shouldn't clear.

Why are you trying to do this? Are you trying to get rid of some specific program?

Steve
  9. gmardre

gmardre New Member

NO, he is prob like me, I installed some programs to try, uninstalled them, and now we have these shortcuts up there that do not lead to anything.

How to get them removed? Who knows?
  10. qwho

qwho New Member

try opening other applications until the old apps are no longer on the list? I don't understand the problem you are having... did you know that the list is finite, and that when you open more applications it pushes the old outs out?
  11. gmardre

gmardre New Member

Gonna do that...one of the earlier posts mentioned that his kept coming around. But, you are right...it's not that big a deal.