i was worried about the battery life

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by guitarwiz, Apr 28, 2008.

1. guitarwiz

guitarwiz New Member

i was worried about the battery life

but so far its been great

on the standard battery (i havent needed or wanted to try the extended yet)
    i can last with 2 hours approx of music about 100-300 txts a day and maybe about an hour and a half to 2 hours of calls
    and still have 3 almost down to 2 bars left

i canrt believe i even worried
  2. guitarwiz

guitarwiz New Member

on a side note though, i had it off while i was at school (8 am to 3 pm)
    that probably ssaved alot
  3. mexiken

mexiken New Member

We told ya :wink:

Motorola battery life is pretty good with AT&T phones. Same goes for signal on the network too.
  4. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Yeah, I generally get very good battery life and I use the extended large capacity battery and I use it often. I have had it go up to 3 days with full usage and still hang in there. Signal on At&t is good too but when the power is low, the signal suffers too.
  5. Valid point.

Not many remember this when they complain about battery life.
  6. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Thanks, I appreciate that. I find myself telling people every chance I get because I had friends coming to me and say, see see the signal is dropping and its not as strong as it was yesterday at your pad, and I point to the battery display and say, what does that say right there with one bar left.

They didn't believe it had anything to do with it for a long time until they tried over and over to prove me wrong and it process ended up proving the point and learning from it. Like any radio, a cell phone is receiving and broadcasting and needs power to do it. The better the power supply, the more reliable and consistent it will be.
  7. mmagot

mmagot New Member

yeah i love the battery on the Q. Ive had such back luck with batteries on phones, especially when i had the tilt for two days. Never again will i buy the tilt. An hour of calls and boom 50 % battery gone. :( but the Q is amazing
  8. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Yeah the Q is awesome and the fact that it comes with the slim battery and the extended battery both is just awesome, you can always have one on reserve for when you are on a long trip and might not have a chance to charge up.

On a side note, my previous device was a HP iPAQ 6515 and it was also very awesome, the battery life on that was absolutely amazing, I used to go whole week without charge sometimes and it would still play along nicely. Loved it.

9. the 9m didn't come with extended battery :(
  10. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I am sorry. I didn't know it doesn't come with all models. :(

I got my Q9h direct from Motorola and when it came, it had a slim batter which will keep the phone nice and thin. It also comes with the extended battery which makes the phone "less" thin by giving it a nice little bulge but heck its good for a week with that thing, small price.

I thought it was standard with every one of the models of the next generation Q, I didn't know I was one of the luckier ones. :whistling
  11. They just know that the 9m is a better device than other 9 models....:)
  12. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

:laugh: I'll take your word on that one. :w00t:
  13. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

if you're worried about the battery life....charge it.
  14. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Well all the Q9h's, or those from AT&T, also come with 2 batteries.

And a week ???? Wow, lucky you. Even with the extended battery, I can't last more than a day and a half :embarassed:
  15. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Yeah, I figured at least the At&t ones like mine have to come with 2, it would be odd for them not to do that for everyone.

Yeah luck with the battery life but in all honesty the week is if I use it average to maybe a little more. More like 3, say 4 days if I use it heavily which I do pretty often.

Also, I practice good battery etiquette, I let it drain fairly low before charging it back up. I always do a slow charge and until full. I don't fast charge with car charger and then for a few minutes and then stop and then do it again. It has served me well.
  16. spec7

spec7 New Member

for me, im on palringo all the time at school and work. wake up at 8, ill have to charge it by 2pm (standard battery)
    extended would last me till 5 or 6pm befor a charge.

with the extended it seems like the first bar last along time, once the 2nd shows up, the 3rd bar will be there within 30-1hr of use.

does anyone know if its bad to charge the battery when it has 2 bars left?

because i charge it at work when it has 2 bars left so the rest of my day i wont have a chance to since ill be out and about.
  17. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

some tips for better battery life

It has been my experience that when you charge a battery that is not quite dead yet and/or you charge it with the "quick" charge method, you lower the battery life, how long it holds a charge and also how long it will be before it just dies on you.

I have always charged my battery when it comes down to the last bar and at least several hours into that last bar. I NEVER use the car charger unless an absolute emergency as it uses the quick charge method. I always charge it FULLY before use again, so usually at night, I will plug it into the wall charger and let it sit there until the next morning when I am leaving the house.

This has served me well, that way the battery doesn't develop the "memory" that 2 bars is low and 3 bars is full. This makes the range narrower and narrower until it just can't hold a charge for squat. So as long as you are diligent in doing it right and taking care of it, you will be fine, standard battery or not.
  18. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

That's prety much sound advice. Lithium based batteries don't suffer from the memory effect like nickel based batteries do. But they still are designed for a certain number of charge cycles (around 500 usually). If you use more of the battery between charges it will (in general) take longer to expend the useable life of the battery.
  19. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Thanks Paco and you are right, there is no memory issues with Lithium and that's why I put it in "quotes" because there is no hard memory but it does carry a charge memory in the sense that the material will hold the charge differently when confused and exposed to too much chaotic behavior.

Bingo with the charge cycle and that's why I try to maximize how much of each charge I use before recharging. Although unfortunately the fact that now they are USB powered, when I connect it to the computer for sync, it charges the phone as well but the only way I can counter that is to set the USB charge mode to SLOW charge to minimize the damage.

Anyway, good times.
  20. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Was just about to say the same thing....now I'm a slight bit confused....