I used the new Sprint Q9c tonight

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by SprintBoiler, Nov 14, 2007.

1. SprintBoiler

SprintBoiler New Member

I used the new Sprint Q9c tonight

A friend of mine happens to be working for Motorola, and has already got the new Q9c for Sprint. Here is what I can tell you for sure:

This device is coming out soon for sprint.

The device has a 1.3 MPX camera for sure, not a 2.0 MPX camera that has been rumored like on the q9h. The camera comes with a flash.

The phone is freaking awesome looking. Equal to or better than the q9h on ATT (although admittedly without the features). The chrome on the outer edges is damn nice. They definitely did a nice job on this one. Not too much chrome, not too little. Ignore the pics we've seen where this thing looks its got chrome all over. Its just been bad pics. In person, its perfect.

GPS is included on the phone, but that doesn't mean our Google Maps or 3rd party software will work on it, but hopefully it is hackable. The point here is, it needs to be hacked. It isn't going to work out of the box, if at all. Otherwise, pay Sprint for GPS.

The phone I used had a non-protruded regular battery. The Sprint version will also come with an extended battery included for sure with the phone, and an extra extended battery case to fit the battery.

The battery life, like today's Q, is probably an issue. However, they are giving an extended battery to try to help, which is a plus.

I know these aren't exactly new revelations, but after seeing and touching the phone tonight, I can say for sure that the above is true.

Sorry no pictures or info about the MMS (I forgot to ask), but this thing is coming out so soon that it won't matter in a few days. The 23rd - 25th looks good for release.
  2. mariog7

mariog7 New Member

Thanks for sharing. How was performance compared to the standard Q? My biggest problem on my Q is that the keyboard cannot keep up and misses keys. Has this been resolved? Is the phone less sluggish?
  3. SprintBoiler

SprintBoiler New Member

The performance on the device seemed quick. I didn't have any issues with noticeable lag, or missed key presses.

I am coming from a Dell Axim x51v, which has a 600 mHz processor, and I felt the Q was just as fast as that.

The device looked damn cool too, I think that was the biggest thing I remembered from it.
  4. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

It appears from a recent photo that it's a Sprint branded Moto Q 9m, rahter than the Moto Q 9h. Can you confirm?
  5. SprintBoiler

SprintBoiler New Member

Yes, its definitely a Sprint Branded Q9m. Based on the slightly mis-aligned screen orientation, and the number of buttons on the device, it is not the q9h, but rather a sprint rebrand of the q9m.

I'm pretty excited about what I saw, the q9h would be nice, but my big thing with that phone is that it was so much more attractive than the red Q9m on Verizon. I personally think this phone looks BETTER than the q9h on ATT. I would say it is definitely up there in terms of looks with the Blackberry 8830.

One other thing I noticed, and you can kind of tell from the sprint holiday site, is that there appears to be a uniquely colored Win Mo. 6 theme with the device. It still has the look and feel of WM6, but it appears everything is in a gold color. It actually looked pretty classy, and made the device screen look pretty unique. You'll know more about what I mean when the device comes out, but all in all it looks pretty good.
  6. kellybrf

kellybrf New Member

its not really a rebranded q9m, its a q9c. the m is media-centric with the hard button and home screen, the c is the regular version. vzw will also be carrying a q9c with toned down styling.

the color theme is indeed gold/tan and looks good. the hardware, however, is basically the same as the q so dont expect any speed increases. remember, out of the box the q is relatively quick as well.

as for hacking gps, theres really no need. sprint requires you to sign up for the $25 data plan, which includes gps services. for those who later opt for the $15 package or with grandfathered vision a hack would be nice, but the majority of users are probably already paying for the service
  7. SprintBoiler

SprintBoiler New Member

GPS which is free for all software to access takes us one step further, though. Google maps would require this, and even paying the $25 data package won't make google maps work for the device (I don't think).

While the hardware may be the same as the current Q, an updated software set with the right revisions can make any computer run more efficiently. Try comparing Windows ME to Windows 2000 on the same PC. There will definitely be a difference.

Of course, only time spent with the device will actually confirm for us if the speed /sluggishness has improved.
  8. lil_sunshine

lil_sunshine New Member

2.5 mm jack

So, does that mean the Q9C will still have a 2.5 mm jack like the Q9M? Motorola took this out of the Q9H. I've got a Q9M now. I love it, but the battery life does not work for my usage and the music screen is a waist of memory space. I would like to change it out for a Q9C (if Verizon releases this phone any time soon), but I listen to music and podcasts all day at work, and I have to plug my phone in several times a day to meet keep up with my power demands (also do this on roadtrips). I can't use the handfree and the charger at the same time if they share the same jack. Why would Motorola do this?
  9. cool_dude

cool_dude New Member

GPS works with Google maps :)

If you have a data plan, GPS will work darn well with Google maps or Microsoft Live. Just go out in a parking lot and do a "Track Location" in Google maps or select "GPS Intermediate driver" in Windows Live Settings and center on GPS. Works great for me :) Make sure you are outside with clear sky view though...
  10. irfan

irfan New Member

So it will use real GPS and not cellular triangulating GPS? if so thats nice.. if not then you dont need to be outside do u?
  11. cryptk

cryptk New Member

aGPS is not cellular triangulating GPS, that is a huge misconception... Think of it this way, a GPS unit has no idea where it is at, so it looks for every satellite in existence until it figures out where it is, then it gets more and more accurate the more it finds.

aGPS gets information from the cell towers to find it's general area immediately, so it already knows what satellites to look for and it can get a position fix faster.

It is still real GPS using satellites and everything.. and for those techie guys out there, I know this is an extremely over-simplified version of what aGPS is, and that is what it was meant to be, don't jump on me because I left parts out, I know I did and I did it intentionally, lol.
  12. irfan

irfan New Member

ah I see. so if you have network coverage, aGPS is actually better... after some quick reading im under the assumption that agps will track faster and more accurately for emergencies, and better tracking in spotty satellite coverage like big cities.. but: If you are out of network/service will aGPS still link to a satellite? or does it require cell coverage at all times?
  13. cryptk

cryptk New Member

that depends on the carrier, some have their phones set up that they can fall back onto just plain GPS, some don't. It all depends on how that phone is configured. (The vast vast majority of phones can run on GPS with no cell signal though)
  14. nags

nags New Member

So does the C do MMS with Sprint?
  15. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Unless someone finds a hack, you cannot send MMS from the Q9c on Sprint (though MMS's you receive from other carriers - at least picture messages - would show up as a text msg with a link to your picture mail account (assuming you have one set up) - that's what happened with a picture MMS I sent to my Q9c from my Q9m on Verizon)
  16. nags

nags New Member

Damn, was really hoping that'd be possible finally.