I have a damn Virus!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by n99hockey, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

I agree...but I mean if I cant do any work from home I end up in trouble...SUCKS! lol How you been havent seen you in a minute!
  2. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

I'm good, bro. I'm usually lurking around here everyday. How bout yourself?
  3. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Virus found and deleted!

Malwarebytes jsut finish and I have the Vundu crap Scott had too. gonna run the programs again just to make sure I'm clean now
  4. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Lots of viruses aim to shut down installation or web page browsing of any kind and everything after that goes to either one site or everything aborts, etc. AV360 is a well-known example. Makes everything look like you have a horrible virus infestation, rediredcts on google, filehippo, download.com and hundreds of others. Sounds like something similar.

Suggest you use another computer, get a flash drive, download malwarebytes, or something similar, and save to flash drive then install to the "sick" PC. If it wont', reboot into safe mode with no networking (F8 choice menu upon boot-up) and try installation then. If that doens't work, end task everything you can / know what it is in task manager to clear out unnecessary items running to see if you can get an install going.
  5. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

how did it turn out after you ran the app again?
    are you all clear?
  6. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

i had that vundu trojan on a new laptop i got from work. symantec has a free tool just for that to remove...although it took many tries...many reboots...and the key is to make sure to turn off windows backup for it to work. that and windows defender is of course killer...and free!
  7. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Yep...system restore gets more people reinfected than anything else it *might* do that is remotely beneficial.
  8. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

Im great! been busy this last few months with work but overall everythings going well thank you :)

I would agree with you fully however, my computer is not the only one that it happens to. What I mean simply is this: I was having this very issue with my computer. I called a friend to come over to look at my computer. (Before she did, we were at Books A million and we were on the internet using her computer searching for something for her oldest son) When she logged into my network her internet wouldnt pull up either. At all.
    Another reason I dont think its tht is because I performed a partition clean as well as a memory erase and reboot. This still did nothing to help my poor computer from acessing the internet. It just seems that everytime I install a virus ware weither it be Norton, AVG or any other my computer will refuse to access the internet.
  9. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Are you behind a router? If so, I wonder if the AV program is detecting the 'net path as a problem and locking it down. If so, what happens if you bypass the router and connect staright to the PC and install an AV prog?
  10. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

When I connect directly via ethernet cable it works fine. -posted via Q-
  11. EQBob

EQBob New Member

ok...so to recap.
    AV installed, direct Ethernet to PC, internet works
    AV installed, behind router, internet no worky.

How are you connecting to your router? Wired or wireless? Have you checked in your Control Panel, Network Connections and made sure that the connection is not disabled when you're connected behind the router?

If not, then it would seem likely that the AV product is seeing your NAT (Network Address Translation) route as being a "problem". You're going to have to poke around in the "rules" that it sets up and find the ones that pertain to (192.168.10.x, assuming you haven't changed off the default most everyone ships with) and see if that has blocks on it. If so, remove. You might also try searching the support websites at your AV product. While I haven't heard of this, it seems like it could be a common problem and therefore written up with instructions what to do.
  12. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

Im connecting via router (wirelessly) to my computer. I dont know if this helps but I have a belkin N1 router. The only rules that i have changed is that that i have open some ports. Checking to see if the changes I have made behind the router is something I am not familier with.
  13. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Well, the fact that you're doing a wireless to the router and a wired without complicates things because you're using 2 different interfaces. It would be helpful if you could test a wired port off the Belkin and see if you still have problems with an AV pckg installed.

If you do *not*, then it's not the AV, it is something in the wireless config.
    If you *do*, then it's something in the AV config/router config.
  14. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

how would I perform this?
  15. EQBob

EQBob New Member

ok. You said you connected your PC direct to the Internet and with the AV package installed, it went through, no stoppages. I'm *assuming* that means you unplugged the DSL or cable connection that goes into your Belkin and plugged it directly into your PC. Yes?

If so, *and* your Belkin has wired ports as well as wireless access, then take another Ethernet cable and connect from one of the wired ports to the PC again. Is AV installed? Does Internet work?

If so, then the router isn't stopping it which means the problem would appear to be in the wireless config or setup. Did you check Control Panel to see if the wireless adapter gets disabled when AV is installed?

If not, then the router is stopping it, which means anytime it is in the loop with the AV installed, it is getting blocked, which points to a rules/setup issue on the AV / firewall side of things.
  16. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

1) yes I unplugged the connection and plugged it directly into my computer
    2) I only have 1 ethernet port on my laptop
    3) will have to check out tomorrow or when I get free to look at it
  17. EQBob

EQBob New Member

In #1 you said computer and #2 you said laptop. Are we talking about one machine or are we talking about 2 different machines?

S'ok if you only have one port. In the test, your modem (DSL or cable) will go to your router and your wired route connection will go to the Ethernet port on your machine.
  18. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

lol sorry when I refer to my laptop or my computer I am talking about one machine which is a laptop.