I have a damn Virus!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by n99hockey, Feb 22, 2009.

1. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

How do I do that? Do I do that after I setup the network on the other latops? I have 3 more I have to setup and two desktops.

Where can i locate the MAC address of the computers in my house?
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

whatever the free trial version download link was on the left hand side of the website
  3. cbusguy23

cbusguy23 New Member

I'm using Ver. 1.34 not sure why its not working for you, it ran for me first try to problem on my xp sp3
  4. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

I Found a Virus - 0-26-09

Carzy thing is TrendMIcr didnt detect it. "Windos Malicious Software Tool" did.

MALWARE:
    "Backdoor:Win32/Rbot.Jr"

RESULTS:
    "partially Removed"

WHat do I do?
  5. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Also

"fdgdfgdfg" has stopped working and Windows Explorer Restarts.
  6. sherri

sherri Active Member

Do you have the Malwarebytes installed? That's what Microsoft told me to use for the win32 whatever....
  7. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Just used CCleaner and it cleaned up almost a hundred bad registyry entries. Running Malwarebytes now. Has turned up anything yet.

I have TrendMicro Internet security Suite installed and it didnt find anything. I need to renew it. it runs out on Monday. when i got it two yrs ago the guy at Best buy said it wa better than McAffee and Norton put together. it did the samething as both but used up less resources.

Just turned off System Restore. I have back ups of my system running to my 2nd 320 GB HDD. I think I'm gonna delete that entire drive and and then run Norton Ghost to an external drive.
  8. sherri

sherri Active Member

I lost you after the first paragraph...lol! I am the least techy person here...
  9. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Mac Address Filtering is a function of the router. Set up all PC's / laptops for the new network / router, then start to batten down the hatches.

Go into your router setup and enter the MAC address of your PC's in your house and only those should now be able to connect. You can read about this feature in your manual and Linksys typically has some pretty good help pages available on their website.

As far as finding out the MAC address, you can do it through IPCONFIG or WINIPCFG (not all versions of Windows have this) or the GETMAC command.

IPCONFIG is a DOS command run in a CMD window. Start, Run, CMD, Enter, then IPCONFIG /ALL and copy down MAC address.
    or
    Start, Run, CMD, Enter, GETMAC and copy down MAC address

Be aware that laptops will typically show 2, one for the Wired connection and one for the wireless connection.
  10. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Remember that CCleaner is an interative process. Even if you got 100 reg entries the first time around, you should run it again and again, until you hit 0. Some "issues" don't pop up until you delete other keys, henve the iteration need.
  11. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Lol. I appreciate your help either way.

Malwarebytes has been runnning for a hour and hasnt found anything
  12. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Something to think about for backing up and doing it to external drives. Do you really want to back up the ENTIRE drive or the JUST files? And do you want them STRAIGHT, or ENCRYPTED/COMPRESSED?

*FOR*ME*, I want the data and I want it straight, for the following reasons:

1) If I have to do something as major as reformatting, I don't want to take it back to my last GHOST or bit image backup. I want it fresh out of the box install.
    2) It's Windows--while bit image backups work, restores of directories, trying to get back a program, etc, often fail. There's no protected core, so files are everywhere and if you don't have the right stuff, you're screwed and you have to reinstall anyhow.
    3) If my data is encrypted or compressed, I can't get to it right away, I have to go find a PC that either has that program on it, or install it, then configure it to see my backup, etc.
    4) If I copy my data straight, no compression, etc..I can take my USB drive to *any* computer, slip it in, and in 10 seconds I'm back to working on what I need.

So...I use an external USB drive, copy my data only and copy it straight and use the XP PowerToy SynchToy to accomplish the copies. The first time through it of course copies everything, every subsequent time it copies only what has changed. Set it up in task scheduler for 2AM or whatever, and voila....you are backed up every night, without fail, and you're *immediately* viable on another PC...and the chances of carrying a virus with you are small because you're only copying data files which is not what most malware and virii target these days.

/My 0.02
    /YMMV
  13. 22NikNak

22NikNak New Member

wow u know lots bout the computer lol!
  14. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I'll assume you are talking about me since you posted right below me. That's not always a safe assumption however <G>.

I started with TRS-80's in high school. Been working with them ever since. I've designed computer labs, networks, revamped networks, wrote specifications for new networking equipment for Cisco, sold spreadsheet applications commercially, wired my own house (network), taught basic communications, and have accomplished a bunch of "firsts". And you know what...I know 1/1000th of what there is to know in computers. I can't program to save my soul, and every day I learn something new. Today I learned how to do sharing / joint editing on OneNote2007. And styles in 2007 continually throw me for a loop. It's a grand world out there and it's fun. But nobody knows it all. Don't ever listen to anyone who's deluded enought to think they do.:2cool:
  15. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Downloaded and ran CCLeaner 3 times. Gonna run it again after Malwarebytes stops.

I gotta renew TrenMicro. Do you think it a good program? And since it has a Firewall, do I need another Firewall lke Zone Alarm?
  16. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I don't have a lot of experience with it. I hae always used Norton. Virus removal programs are somewhat of a religious war type of topic...everyone has their favorites and swears theirs is the best, but they can't really tell you why. <G>

I put Norton on everything I own, but I don't enable all of their stuff, like CleanSweep, which is crap, and the Internet Firewall, which is convoluted and writes it's own rules. McAfee in my opinion is even worse. AVG is nice and clean, at least in the free version I've seen. F-Prot was always a fantastic anti-virus program when I used it.

I prefer a stand-alone Zone Alarm type of firewall so I can have full control over programmatic access, look at alerts, etc. It has always seemed to me to be difficult to get to that weath of information in other products. They hide it, assuming you are stupid and they should just make the decisons for you. I really don't like that.

If Trend Micro has been working for you, no reason to stop using it. might want to consider a stand-alone and theoretically more acessible and understandable firewall, but you'll have to tanslate all of that to what your personal needs might be.
  17. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Oh..and don't run 2 firewalls. That tends to cause problems, they conflict, etc....just like 2 anti-virus programs will. And then solving where the problem actually is, is a major PITA.
  18. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

I back up all my data daily to my external HDD's. Never have anything on my PC but programs. But its a PIA to reinstall everything. I would like to be able to do full cleaning and restores at least once a month. I download alot. So maybe ZoneAlarm is a good option. TrendMicro hasnt seemed to fail me yet
  19. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

im still trying to figure out what the hells wong with my computer. I can run the internet sucessfully except when i install ANY virus protection. After that, the only thing I can do is play MTGO (online card game). Im still running around with no virus protection on my computer since the only 3 things I do are MTGO, Myspace, and Facebook.
  20. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

gotta get some protection, bro. No matter what these days.