I awoke Q-less (Africa ready and Brick in Hand)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by DrQ, Mar 3, 2008.

1. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I awoke Q-less (Africa ready and Brick in Hand)

Plugged it in last night. It beeped and I made sure the charger icon appeared. I awoke to a blank screen a half an hour after my Q9c was supposed to wake me. No matter what I do it just won't turn on, so I put the battery that came with it back in and trudged to Sprint.

They agreed it just doesn't work, so they've ordered a replacement. A few bits of good news; after a flash screen replacement last May, I opted for the $4 repair insurance, so cost is $0 and I backed it up with Sprite last Saturday.

The backup was in preparation to leave y'all DrQ-less for three months while I circumnavigate Africa. I keep a 4gb card in for normal usage but had a couple of old 2gb cards and thought I would prepare them for my trip. After the backup, I copied all my install, program and system files on the storage card to my PC, then copied them to the other two cards. I will be taking my travel laptop on the ship and will leave the phone off in the Wireless Manager while gone, but my tether my Q via Activesync and use the ship's WiFi to update as needed. On my 4gb card I keep 900 songs, on the one 2gb card some movies and the other 2gb card is extra with only a few SciFi books I found on "Baen Free Library".

I know I've combined an Q9c topic with an Off Topic but wanted to share this AM's experience combined with how I've set myself up for traveling to an area where I will still use the Q9c without a radio connection. I feel a little lost not being able to look at my Home Screen for what's next on my schedule or tasks and hope by Thursday to be back to normal.

As always, I hope those reading my babbling's might find something to lookup, search or read and further their Q experience. I'm trying not to let the occasional broken Q get in the way of an extremely customizable and handy device.

There are no perfect solutions only a multitude of possibilities.
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Good luck on your trip, see you again soon.
  3. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

good call on the insurance.

Will be neat to read your review of the trip.
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

take care Dr-Q.... and enjoy the trip.

potQ.
  5. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Your leaving? Already? It's time?
    We'll miss your charm, your wit, and your good looks.
    Take care of yourself and come back to your EQ family happy and healthy.
    bYe
  6. jinro

jinro New Member

Have a good trip, not that you'll use your internet overseas, but I noticed with Sprite, anytime I got a new Q or Q9c, the backup from the previous phone would not allow internet connection on the new phone. I think there is something that is copied over from the old phone and I could never figure out how to get the internet to work w/ the backup installed. (as mentioned this is only if you install your Sprite Backup to a new Q or Q9c).
  7. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Thanks, I hope I can get it to work and will report back. As a belt and suspenders guy, I have all my CABs on my card, EXE's in one directory on my PC and a current Activesync to Outlook 2003 if I have to reinstall. Don't really want to as I have a couple of hack and would have to setup email and program tweeks and favorites.
  8. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Green with Envy!

Well, DrQ the title says it all!! :tounge:

Have a safe trip and looking forward to tales of your grand adventure. I am sure you will have plenty of pictures to share with us upon your return.

Sorry to hear about your Q but at least it happened before you left rather than after. Then you would have really been lost.

Again be safe and careful.

Natalie
  9. cheri

cheri Active Member

Have a good trip!! See ya when u get back. Watch out for the cougars! lol

Try to behave! jk
  10. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I always behave....sometimes I behave well and sometimes I behave badly...lol
  11. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

I can see it now, DrQ's adventures...tales of dirty dancing with gannny :)

*posted on youtube of course*

anyways, have a good trip - tips hat-
  12. cheri

cheri Active Member

touche DrQ lol
  13. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

shame it happened so close to your trip

good luck, be safe and take lots of pictures...(so you can show all of us jealous members)

take care and see ya soon!
  14. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

It'd be nice if we could get random updates from our globetrotting Dr.

Enjoy the trip, and I hope the new Q functions properly on the ride!
  15. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Thanks to all for the well wishes. I will try to get off some updates during my trip.

Got my replacement yesterday and as previously reported the Sprite backup went perfectly except for killing the data connection. The Sprite site says to update the Vision Profile but that wouldn't connect for me so I spent last night on a reinstall. I just didn't want to put the time in on getting the backup to work correctly.

@DerAlta: I've been using your Superman with the Screen saver for the last month and love it . The only thing I miss is being able to glance at the first screen and see if I have messages. Could you possibly edit the xml to add the grouping for messages on the bottom left of the HS to the top left of the screen saver screen. I would be grateful. I looked it over but haven't got into XML editing and was afraid to mess around with it.
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

good to here it went without huge major issues, the swap...

have a good trip.

potQ.
  17. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

<~~~~still very super jealous!
  18. UPdownLoAD

UPdownLoAD New Member

OK, serious question for you-

Sprint's Service & Repair policy is if your phone is DOA, that they swap in-house instead of ordering one for you. Why did this not happen?

You need to take this up the chain. That's BS that you had to wait for a few days with a DOA phone. BS!
  19. DrQ

DrQ New Member

You're probably right but I do know the Q is one not listed on the "repair On Site" list for the shops around here.

Didn't bother me too much as it cost $56 last spring so I've been carrying the insurance and this didn't cost anything. I also had my wife's Razr to use.

Thanks for the comment but can't take the time out to worry or complain with my trip preparations and all.
  20. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Yeah I'm even jealous of me!

A favor if you please. Could you send me your email to DrewOnTwo@aol.com and I will forward some trip reports to add to this post as some seem interested.

I know it's a bit to ask but I would appreciate the conduit as I try to keep my ship's satellite minutes down. Composing off line and sending in batch form is best for my limited pocketbook.