HTC Ozone Hacks Thread

Discussion in 'HTC Snap | Ozone' started by TheMadJester, Jul 14, 2009.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Ozone came with WM6.1, see here
    you can update to WM6.5, see here
  2. libby777

libby777 New Member

Thank you, I managed to update the phone this evening to WM6.5!
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

awesome!!
    enjoy and welcome to eWM!!
  4. l3iohazard

l3iohazard New Member

anyone else have difficulty getting your phone to recognize your storage card after the update. i have an 8g made by kingston
  5. cbreze

cbreze New Member

Is everybody generally pleased with the update to 6.5? I'm new to the ozone, but have used the 6.5 on many pro devices, which also allow you the option of going back to 6.1 which I have done many times. Since this downgrading is not possible with the ozone I'd hate to not be happy with the upgrade. So just looking for any input on the 6.5 over the 6.1. Any pluses/minuses.
    TIA for any responses,

James
  6. l3iohazard

l3iohazard New Member

if i had to do it all over again i wouldn't i am having so much trouble hacks not working and so forth.
  7. cbreze

cbreze New Member

Thanks for your input. I decided to go ahead and upgrade as I knew I would probably want to at some point, so thought it better to get it done before I get this pup loaded with everything I like then have to re-do.
    Seems fine so far. I notice contacts don't work by typing the first letter or two unless I missed a setting someplace. The 6.1 did. Not a big deal for me tho. I like agenda one and didn't know that they had a standard version. Sweet. I heard someplace that the panals could be moved around. That'd be cool. Haven't found that option tho. Just did it a couple hours ago tho. Also, so far, and this is a biggie for me, but the ringtones, voice,and all sounds sem clearer and generally better since the upgrade. Also the 3G icon is now up there. Small stuff, but I prefer it. So far I'm ok with it, but haven't tried any hacks yet either.
  8. mking8288

mking8288 Member

For contacts, find & check your "Assisted Dialing" Settings & "Enable" it and also check your "Voice Command" Settings - my Jabra Bluetooth headset will work doing voice dialing when "tapped" but not on my "Motorola" BT headsets, for whatever seasons - some of the fine tuning to be done in Comm Manager under the Bluetooth submenu. Customize/personalized MP3's and "trimmed" to under 30 seconds can be easily selected as ringtones.

HTC Home Screen panel can be customized, just launch it within the Start Menu - the weather & 5 day forecast among my favorite - for a quick glance at localized time & temperatue view, set to auto refresh. To stretch battery life, fine tune various timeout & display settings along with frequency or intervals for checking emails.

For hacks, PHM Registry Editor and Total Commander are my preferred apps to do the "work", and there are links in this forum for them. It took me several days to fully explore all the menu & submenu items & tried out different settings on what best work my needs - coming from the Moto Q family of smartphones. Some of the generic "edits" for WM6.x will work on this phone but others won't work - a Master Reset will restore everything to the factory original state easily as long as your own settings, files, contacts, emails, etc. are saved using the pre-installed MS Myphone or via Active Sync 4.5.

Have fun with it.
  9. cbreze

cbreze New Member

Thanks mking for the useful info. I now have my contacts working and am checking your other suggestions.
    I am starting to like this device alot.
  10. ebpda9

ebpda9 New Member

i used SKTools to enable the SMS Sent notification. You get an extra beep when the message is sent but the HTC sent message notification times out after 5 seconds. Now if i could find where the setting for sent notification is so i can reduce the timeout to like 2 seconds.
  11. cbreze

cbreze New Member

Is there a way to extend the kb backlite time out? I've tried all the options under power. Do I need a reg edit maybe? It's too, too short for my usage.
    Thanks,
  12. mking8288

mking8288 Member

Backlight & Display time out on the battery/on Charger can be easily changed under Power Management to 1 min/5 min. & 5 min/10 min. or even Never (not good for battery life, as expected) on the Ozone. Isn't that more than enough for most usage, except perhaps for web browsing?

Tried turning OFF "Adjust keypad backlight by light sensor" to see if it will help make any difference? Personally, I find these settings far better & can be easily balanced for ordinary usage than say the Moto Q9c that's no longer use.
  13. cbreze

cbreze New Member

Yeah, thats my issue as I've tried all those options and I still get only about 7 or 8 sec of kb backlite. My screen backlite adjusts to whatever I input. Might be a flaw in my unit.
  14. mking8288

mking8288 Member

Ozone - 1X mode vs. EV-DO (How to) in extending battery life

For those of us in a fringe reception area, as when the Ozone is switching back & forth between EV-DO (default) and 1X reception in CDMA (or Automatic mode) - give this a try as I've done it & it's working for me. OEM battery is lasting much longer & and barely slowing me down in web browsing, email checking still working as configured.

(Press) ##778 and (press SEND key) - it will switch to Mode selection ... (screen - showing View, Edit or Cancel)
    (Press) Edit (key) and it will prompt Unlock (Please Enter Unlock Code:) - for your MLS
    (Press) 000000 and (Enter) - screen will unlock & EPST will now show on upper left screen corner
    (Press) Left Soft (key) to "View info" - scroll down to 6, Modem Settings
    Scroll down to 3rd Row, Preferred Mode - and (Press) Right Soft (key) for Menu, 1 for Edit & change it
    to "CDMA Only" - press OK to exit, then "Center" key - you will be prompted to "Press ok to reset the device"
    Ozone & shutdown, reset & reboot - once restarted, your phone will display 1X (originally default to 3G being displayed on phone's screen) - you are now good to go & enjoy extended battery life, for more talk time and data usage. (Mine is running the newest WM6.5 OS - IE, Google Maps & email are all functioning as usual after making this simple change, your results might vary)

As always, backup & write down/copy any default settings - as you scroll around the EPST screens - before making any changes so that you can restore/go back & change them again if the desired results are not achieved.

There's no registry edits needed for this & it can be reversed, please feel free to share your success in making this change to your Ozone.

BTW, this only affect my CDMA reception as I have solid 3 or 4 signal bars when using my unlocked Ozone in GSM, whether it's on AT&T or T-Mo's network, so I find no reasons in changing anything to boost battery life when switched to GSM mode on this phone.

Have fun !
  15. mking8288

mking8288 Member

Update: Succuess using Ozone in GSM mode while in Canada on Rogers w T-Mo Sim Prepaid

We just spend a week in Vancouver, BC - Canada using our prepaid T-Mo Sim card inserted into the unlocked HTC Ozone from Verzion, making & receiving voice calls - SMS worked as well. Turned off data feature since we're roaming & didn't want to burn up charges for browsing, and we could've used the Ozone's built-in wifi feature if needed.

When we switched from CDMA only - also in roaming mode - to GSM only, there's a short welcome message & warning/alert about roaming charges, etc. etc. It seemed that the Ozone's Data Feature is reset to ON by default among mode switching (Global, CDMA & GSM) so be sure to check & change the setting unless you are prepared for extra charges (and international roaming rates, at whatever $$).
    This T-Mo prepaid SIM is normally used in either the unlocked SE Z750 or Nokia 3555 with the limited T-Zone access enabled, although I didn't check to see if it would worked in BC as we had free HSI at the hotel (besides, it's a vacation & not a business trip).

Our AT&T Gophone Sim (prepaid) didn't work at all (phone showed "no service") when inserted in to the Ozone and I realized/confirmed that roaming is only possible in Mexico (which worked last Spring when we cruise south of the border out of LA to Cabo, etc.)

The Alaska cruise season is just about ready to get underway next week - with this info, have fun & enjoy the scenic beauty (we did ours in 2008) - VZW will work in most US ports of call, AT&T Gophone will work too but T-Mo prepaid had no service - then - and we're using just unlocked "dumbphones".

(BTW, its Richmond airport (YVR) has free wifi for all in all terminals (including US depature wing - plenty of power outlets to save the laptop's battery for those long transcon & oversea flights) - and very fast as a public connection at 5 MB down & 3 MB upload (better than our hotels' freebies))
  16. mrv

mrv New Member

Is there a way to remap keyboard buttons on Ozone? I'd like to remap the last button on the bottom row ("Mute" button)...
  17. g33kcub

g33kcub New Member

Well, this is a first time post for me.
    I tried to overwrite this, but it tells me permission denied. I've tried to change the file permissions from read only to non-read only. Is there some ancient jedi trick I'm missing here?
  18. rentilrebo

rentilrebo New Member

You have to use a registry editor. Try Resco or Total Commander.
  19. tjienan

tjienan New Member

I met a dead end while setting the DUAL NAM in my ozone....
    Found this command :
    Code:
    Make sure your phone can actually switch between NAM1 and NAM2.
    Press the green button to bring up the dialer > goto Menu > Options > Services Tab > and there should be a Switch NAM option. If there isn't, you will need a registry editor in order to goto:
    HKLM>Software>OEM>PhoneSetting>HiddenNAMSelectPage and change it from 1 to 0.

I don't see any Switch NAM Option, and I also don't find such "HKLM>Software>OEM>PhoneSetting>HiddenNAMSelectPage " key...... :(
  20. ownmuhammad

ownmuhammad New Member

hello all,

i have an issue. i am changing incoming call notification widnow's text "Phone - Incoming" by using SetWindowText by calling coredll.dll in c#. it is working fine on windows mobile but it is not working on windows mobile 6.5. i had used Invalidaterect method as well. redrawwindow() and updatewindow() methods as well. but no results. can anyone help me please??
    i had checked the text is changing but notifier window is not updating i mean not showing updated text.