HTC OZONE & GPS Problem

Discussion in 'HTC Snap | Ozone' started by rampart51, Nov 9, 2009.

1. rampart51

rampart51 New Member

HTC OZONE & GPS Problem

New guy here so go easy on me please.:dft012:wink

I've downloaded GoogleMaps and installed it ok.

I cannot connect to a satellite. It just keeps searching and never finds one. I've tried outside away from buildings/trees. It never connects.

I've clicked on the "use GPS" option and under OPTIONS, GPS SETTINGS, I have "managed by windows" clicked on.

I've never used the Verizon "quick gps" application. My understanding is that the GPS will work without that. Is that correct?

Thx...
  2. Richie Rich

Richie Rich New Member

I had that problem when I first got my Ozone and tried to use GPS. Two suggestions:

1. Settings->Phone->Location settings. Make sure Location is on (not just 911).
    2. Run the Quick GPS app and set it to automatically update. Apparently (I don't know GPS physics) it downloads from the internet satellite locations and allows you to lock in a lot quicker.

Once I did these, when I ran GoogleMaps again it worked. I somehow think I had to soft reset once or twice, maybe between steps 1 and 2, so play around a bit.

Once you get GPS working, it's really sweet.
  3. rampart51

rampart51 New Member

WOW....I gotta tell ya....I researched the crap out of this before I posted. Could not find an answer anywhere.

YOU ARE DA MAN!

This worked as described. I could not believe how fast it connected!

THANK YOU!
  4. Richie Rich

Richie Rich New Member

Glad to help.
  5. mrv

mrv New Member

I wouldn't suggest to set QuickGPS to update automatically - if you don't use data much, it's gonna bug you. It's supposed to update your GPS location every 2 weeks, and if the data is not on all the time, you'll get a frequent annoying message in the middle of everything you're doing, informing you that your GPS needs to be updated. This message can be turned off, but only after you update GPS. I turned my automatic update off, now it still updates every 2 weeks, but only when I turn GPS on. It takes a little bit more time to connect to satellites, but not much more, maybe 5-10 seconds.
  6. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

is quick gps like tgps?
    does it work on the Q or just the htc phones?

tgps hasnt been playing nice lately

thanks...

-Sent from my Q9n
  7. Richie Rich

Richie Rich New Member

I'm not familiar with tgps. I never saw either one of these on my original Q or Q9c (although admittedly, I used BT GPS device). With it running (I travel a lot), it locks in on a signal in new airport within SECONDS, rather than searching forever like a far-moved GPS device did (both with my Garmin and BT GPS). I don't know for sure how it works, but can attest that it does.