How to use Motorola Q9c as modem for laptop

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by claypool1705, Sep 18, 2008.

1. thesailor

thesailor New Member

I hooked up my sprint q9c to my desktop last week and was able to surf the net for a short period of time. the connection quit working, however, and i've had the same problem trying again ever since: when I connect in ICS, active sync automatically disconnects. I can't seem to run both connections at the same time. Having ICS connected w/o active sync running shows me a 404 message. Boooooo!
    Any help? I'll break down and buy PDA net if I have to but it seems others here have found a way to make phone as modem work for free. I have unlimited dat, vision plan, etc....
  2. BrianFX

BrianFX New Member

ActiveSync disconnecting when ICS connects is not an error, that happens for me as well. I still use ICS with no reg hacks and everything works fine. I used to use PDAnet but ICS is just easier.
  3. bigkev890

bigkev890 New Member

You can not be connected to sync when you are running ics. Every once in a while my phone will not connect with ics, and I have to turn the phone off. When its back up and running it should connect.

What I usually do to make it work after restarting the phone, let the phone sync, then once synced start ics. it will disconnect from sync and start the ics connection. I noticed that if i just connect the phone and start ics, a lot of the times it wont connect and stays at "waiting for network" or "check usb cable". but after syncing is complete I usually conect right away.
  4. Tyler Lillie

Tyler Lillie New Member

Internet Connection Sharing on Verizon Q9c

I was able to install PDANet successfully in Windows Mobile 6.0 but discovered when I upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.1, it quit working properly (the proxy settings became problematic). I started investigating Internet Connection Sharing and came up with the following:

1. Your desktop/laptop must be synchronized using ActiveSynch before connecting to ICS

2. File manager must be set to see "System Files" (Menu->Options)

3. ICS is enabled by running one of four files from the Windows subdirectory:

· IntShr.exe
    · IntShrUI.exe
    · InternetConnectionSharing.lnk
    · IntShrUI.lnk

Scrolling down the Windows directory is tedious and you can simplify access to the executable file by creating a shortcut in the root directory (in the Windows directory, highlight the exe file, go to Menu->File->Create Shortcut and select “\”). If you have Resco Explorer, you can put it in your Start menu (in the Windows directory, highlight the exe file, go to Menu->Send To and select “Start Menu As Shortcut“)

4. In the ICS screen, set PC Connection to "USB" and Network Connection to "Broadband Access"

My impression is that this works in WM 6.0 but since I've upgraded to 6.1, I can't say for sure. It may also work for Sprint, AT&T, etc. It may run with Bluetooth but I don't have it on my laptop to try.

Attached Files:

5. Que

Que New Member

Before upgrading my Sprint Q9c to WM 6.1, I successully used PDANet for occasional web browsing (on a full size screen) when away from home.

After updating to WM 6.1, I had seen the icon for Internet Sharing, but had never tried it before.
    I followed your tips, and it worked liked a charm - Thanks!

The only differences I noted were that rather than having to create a shortcut or search for the file name, I found an "Internet Sharing" shortcut icon already in the Start menu, and when configuring the Network Connection, "Broadband" was not an option - only "Cellular" or "Sprint Network", and I chose "Cellular".
  6. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Sprint Network is the the equivalent to Broadband Access. I use it when I'm in airports and the like, since most Wifi is pay-to-use.
  7. Que

Que New Member

I just assumed that "Sprint Network" meant no roaming off of Sprint, and "Cellular" would allow you to connect while roaming - but that is a total guess.

FWIW, I ran a connection speed test using the "Cellular" setting and clocked in at 500k.
  8. iscott

iscott New Member

so when using the q9c as a modem, does it matter which connection setting is selected. sprint network or cellular?
  9. Tyler Lillie

Tyler Lillie New Member

I remembered that I have a ROM dump of the Verizon Q9c with Windows Mobile 6.0. I checked and the files needed for ICS are native to that version.
  10. Tyler Lillie

Tyler Lillie New Member

Internet Connection Sharing with multiple PCs

I've discovered that with Windows Mobile 6.1 on my Verizon Q9c that I cannot use Internet Connection Sharing with more than one computer without having to master reset each time I change computers. Anyone else experience that problem?

See http://www.windowsmobiletraining.com/Connection/forums/p/1718/9237.aspx.

I've just finished a test that confirms that ICS w/ WM 6.1 only works with one computer.

1. I did master reset on the Q, re-installed all programs and backed up the installation before connecting to ICS using laptop #1.

2. I ran ICS on laptop #1 and it worked.

3. I connected to laptop #2, tried to connect with ICS and it failed.

4. I restored the backup from step 1 to the Q but was unable to connect to laptop 2 with ICS.

5. I did a master reset on the Q, ran ICS on laptop #2 and the connection worked.

6. I restored the backup to the Q from step 1 and tried connection to laptop #2 and it worked.

Conclusion: Running ICS writes something to the Q system that prevents using ICS with another computer, is not wiped out by system restore and can only be removed by master reset. Worth noting is that throughout the test, I never set up a "partnership" with either laptop (I chose the "cancel" option in the ActiveSync Setup Wizard window).
  11. JMak

JMak New Member

I'm on Sprint and have the same problem...that's why I searched for this thread today...to carp about it.

However...Up until a month ago I used ICS on my work PC. I was then able to use ICS on my home laptop, but no longer could at work. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling activesync over and over on my work PC and fiddled with all of the settings to no avail.

While I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this...it's disappointing as hell.
  12. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

by chance is one of the computers vista and the other XP?
  13. Tyler Lillie

Tyler Lillie New Member

I left out of my description of my problem that there was a connection with my desktop in the process that may have contributed to the problem (I'm not sure, but I may have allowed it to create a partnership). I have since tested ICS using a "clean" Q9c install switching between two laptops and have not had a problem. I'm suspicious that connecting to the desktop could cause the issue to re-surface - although I can't imagine how a hardware configuration would cause it. It may have been a partnership that triggered a change in the Q's register (I now religiously bypass setting up the partnership when I load ActiveSync by hitting cancel at the prompt since I don't need the Outlook synch).

I am going on the road for 10 days. I will see if I can replicate the problem by connecting to my desktop when I return and will report back.

You might try to master reset your Q, re-install WM and try going back and forth without setting up a partnership. The problem with no partnering is that you cannot share contacts, e-mail & calendar between the Q and Outlook. You can exchange files between the Q and computer as well as do ICS without the partnership.

Postscript: I use Windows XP (SP3) on all of the computers.
  14. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Off the top of my head, There is a setting to allow a "pass through" connection which might negate any of the problems you describe. Are you aware, have you tried this? :) -Q
  15. Dan'l

Dan'l New Member

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you are referring to the "Advanced Network Functionality" setting? <start, internet sharing, menu, connection settings, USB to PC>

I've found that at times, toggling this setting will cure a connection problem.

Also, a soft reset is needed after using phone's Iris or SkyFire browsers, before ICS.
  16. H2342

H2342 New Member

I am using Alltel and have an unlimited data plan. I read somewhere that even if I have an unlimited data plan, I will be charged something like 30 bucks a month to use the internet sharing.

What's the deal?
  17. northeastsurfing

northeastsurfing New Member

Connecting phone to use as a modem?

Below is a posting I was writing when sprint emailed me. I do not understand why they want to charge me 30.00 for a vision plan that I pay only 15.00 for now, for the same thing. Then an extra 15.00 for the Use your phone as a modem. Please read..

posting: I have the Sprint Vision Plan for around 15.00 a month extra. I can use the web on my phones internet unlimited for one set price. I do have the Moto Q9c. I wanted to connect my phone to my laptop and use the phones web that way.

I got it to work fine with the Internet Sharing option. My question is does anyone know if Sprint will charge me more money to do this. Do I have to get another plan, or can I keep connecting to the web through my phone with no extra charges. Please help.

I do have the sprint unlimited vision pack

UPDATE EMAIL FROM SPRINT.
    If you want to use phone as modem service, you need to activate $30.00
    Vision and Power Vision PRO Pack and $15.00 Palm pack.

I would like to inform you that the $30.00 Power Vision Pro Pack does
    not include a phone as a modem option, the Phone As a Modem option for
    $15.00 is required to be added. I would like to mention that the Phone
    As a Modem option for $15.00 cannot be added separately. It has to be
    combined with the $30.00 Power Vision Pro Pack. You will be required to
    pay $45.00 extra if want to use the Phone As a Modem.
  18. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Already answered this in your other post. There's no need to post it twice
  19. unknownmember

unknownmember New Member

Ok, I am using my Internet Sharing option on my Moto Q9C on ALLTEL (i dont care about the other networks, ALTELL) and i have a smartphone Unlimited Data Plan, will i still be charged extra for using this service on my laptop. Please, this is only for alltel users not other networks? is it worth the useing it if they charge more, please, someone with answers tell me

Thank You:foot:...:smile:
  20. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

it's roughly the same for all carriers that offer tethering plans. If you're using ICS without the tethering (phone as modem) plan they generally won't notice, unless you use it a lot. But if you do use it quite often then it definitely can be worth the money