How to update Q 9c to WM 6.1 w/o warranty

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Kahale, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Kahale

Kahale New Member

How to update Q 9c to WM 6.1 w/o warranty

Is it possible for my Q 9c to get the WM 6.1 update without warranty. I tried using the motorolla update tool but I can't get it past step 2. It appears my Q 9c is out of the warranty period it and it stops the update from preceding. I'm I out of luck or is their still hope?
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

if it's sprint of verizon you could try giving it a date within the past year, or search for a monster flash file and use RSD lite
  3. Kahale

Kahale New Member

It's a Sprint phone. Give date? If your talking about the motorolla update tool it doesn't let you input any of those options. It seems to check only the imen (serial) number for manufacturer's warranty status.
  4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

ok, like I said try looking for a monster flash file. there should be one somewhere, since the update's been out for about 9 months
  5. Kahale

Kahale New Member

Ok thanks I try that.
  6. gnath9

gnath9 New Member

7. Kahale

Kahale New Member

You don't have to put in a date to dl the file. It checks the serial number of the phone to see whether its covered under warranty which is bs. If your phone is passed the warranty period (1 yr) it wont let you continue with the update. I found a wm 6.1 rom for q 9c but its says its for verizon q9c. is it compatible with sprint q 9c phone.
  8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

not completely, let me check around once I get back to a pc and see what I can find for you
  9. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

I'm "almost" positive that I've seen a Sprint WM 6.1 Monster Flash but I've checked my "stuff" and don't have it. I'll check for you too. Stay tuned . . . ;) -Q
  10. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

11. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

12. Kahale

Kahale New Member

the update flashed ok but no data access. so i took it to sprint and they said i flashed it wrong. the program that allows sprint to program the phone was deleted. i used rsd lite 4.2 to flash. will flashing again fix the problem?
  13. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

it can't hurt
  14. Kahale

Kahale New Member

i use data a lot. so it does hurt. :frown:
  15. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Sprint has some really propiatary messaging settings and they have been posted somewhere, I think here, but I can't find them. I'd bet the farm that I've even used them for friends too. Can someone please point Kahale to them, if y'all know. I'll keep looking too . . . might have them in my notes. A few registry edits is all it takes. If anyone on Sprint here could kindly post all the relative registry entries, THAT would be the BEES KNEES !!!! TIA to any and all. :) -Q
  16. Kahale

Kahale New Member

thanks man i appreciate it. hopefully i can get my phone running normally again. if all it takes is a few registry entries that would be great.
  17. mrcrash

mrcrash New Member

18. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

You really shouldn't dive right into things like flashing without doing some research first.

You should always back up your service programming before you flash so that it can restore all your carrier specific settings after flashing, unless you are only flashing an upgrade file, which will preserve those during the flash.

In the specific case of Sprint, which uses a unique 6 digit Service Programming Code for every handset, you need to get that SPC before you can back up the service programming with QPST. They also use a rather complicated data authentication protocol that uses two MIP profiles, each with it's own set of shared secrets for hardware authentication of phone, and protected by the SPC for both OTA and manual programming.

You must back up these critical components before you do anything or you will end up exactly where you are now...and Sprint may not be able to help you recover data services because it seems their techs are not well versed enough in how to reset those authentication components properly.

A friend of mine just went through all of this with a Sprint Q9c which he flashed without backing up first and they couldn't fix it and ended up replacing the phone.

Sorry, that's not what you want to hear but it is unfortunately the truth.
  19. Kahale

Kahale New Member

if i knew i had to backup those things i would've done so. so i guess i just get a replacement from sprint $50. it's silly that sprint can't re-program their own phones or is that they can but don't want the hassle.
  20. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

I really don't know...I'm not a Sprint customer and it certainly makes no sense to me but that's what happened. I then took his replacement phone and flashed it to VZW and then back to Sprint with all data services working on both carriers, just to prove that the hardware itself was identical, for the VZW GPS work that I've been doing.

If you do it right it's fairly simple but you have to have the SPC first, which can be read in the NVM in seem 2786 record 0001 length E using RadioComm or other programs with direct access to the NVM.

[​IMG]