how to speed up gps locks?

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by blackmeto, Jun 25, 2009.

1. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

a bunch of goodies!

you should.....great fun!
  2. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

Can you PM with instructions on how to download maps for gpsVP? I downloaded and installed but am having a hard time trying to figure out how to get maps on the bad boy.
  3. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Well, hope it was a nice day for that wherever you are. Here in Texas, it wasn't bad...only triple digits <G>
  4. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

Im in GA bob and all we've been getting down here is HOT HOT HOT WET HOT HOT CLOUDY today's temp feels pretty good though

O i just left my phone outside for five minutes and gps test said that the gps was running as opposed to just saying gps is starting forever so im gonna put it out there again to make sure it wasnt a fluke. It connects again and i can be done with this hard reset loop and focus on finding something else to test

* as soon as i stepped off the last step it locked, time to see if gmm does the same

I can now say that i am getting locks all across the board in 15 secs or less. The only thing different between now and when i first flash is that ALL gps software is installed on the phone and not the sd card.

Trial and error brought the gps back and i think installing to phone speeds up ttfl tremendously
  5. EQBob

EQBob New Member

installing what to phone? Google Maps?
  6. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

yes whatever gps soft you use. In my case i have gmm ,gpstest and ndrive installed to device memory.
    They all wont stay there though im just gonna have ndrive on the device and whatever else goes back on sd
  7. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

Not sure if I agree with that. I have Garmin, Google Maps, Live and a few other gps software installed on the card and it works great and lock quick. Take a look at this article, it was posted in a different thread but it does a good job explaining why it takes a long time to lock on

http://www.zenyee.com/2008/04/19/agps-not-a-real-gps-myth-or-fact/
  8. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

yeah i saw that article may just be because i was happy to have gps back and figured that was the reason for quicker locks. oh well whichever way works

what we need is something that caches sat data like quickgps does on htc and treo but obviously that will work on the Saga.
  9. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

10. EQBob

EQBob New Member

11. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

The WM version.

WM = Windows Mobile
  12. EQBob

EQBob New Member

ok...thanks never saw that one down there...I just picked the Samsung and tried a BlackJack2
  13. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

sorry bob i selected the samsung i780
  14. EQBob

EQBob New Member

well, i went back and selected the WM6 one, installed and now the sat never movess off of red.
  15. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

nah dont use that one go back to the one you had at first if it was working with no problems
    or try the one i had it worked fine
  16. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Guys...
    Go to here... http://www.smartphone-freeware.com/download-microsoft-gpsid.html
    Download the Microsoft GPSID tool, set the Program port to COM3, Hardware port to None and the Baud rate to 9600 or above.

Go into Google Maps or LiveSearch/Bing, GPS settings, select manual settings and set it to Com3 and the same Baud rate as in the GPSID tool.

Using this method, I can lock on to over 5 satellites in my living room in under 10 seconds. Hope it works for you all.
  17. pump146

pump146 New Member

So which 1 is the good one then? I got lost
  18. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

that one worked for me i picked it because we have the i770 so i stayed in family
    bob says the blackjack2 works so i guess either of those
  19. EQBob

EQBob New Member

no offense, but why....what does this do? or purport to do? How does this affect other programs? how does this affect a use the next time you go to use a program?

I'm only asking because it seems like everyone has some fave GPS tool or program, I've heard multiple sets of settings, and there's no clear direction (that I've seen) as to what is fact, what is fiction, and what's personal best guess in between.

Kjack...not directed at you...didn't mean to come across wrong...just a little "frustration" in all the levels of information out here with no way to discern what is accurate and what is not. Sorry if that came across in my post on your quote...was not meant personally.
  20. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I rebooted my phone, pointed it upside down at a window, it aquired 6 sats in GMM in seconds, started amaze, it acquired sats, how many i don't know, it doesn't tell you, and both nailed my location.

My observation is this sh*t is HIGHLY HIGHLY variable in obtaining consistent results.