how to speed up gps locks?

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by blackmeto, Jun 25, 2009.

1. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

how to speed up gps locks?

im just trying to get the discussion going. This morning I tried to install quickgps and for something that looks like it might be exactly what i was looking for it failed miserably. To the point where i just hard reset because google maps would search for sats for a coupla seconds before hanging on 0 sats like before.
    Guessing the omnia tweaks dont apply here, but still I search
  2. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I was driving down the road and checking it at stop lights, and after the 4th one, it (Google Maps) still hadn't acquired any sats. I turned mine (GPS location on) off.
  3. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

lol i hear ya but google maps was locking for me
    now i dont know what's happening, Gpstest moves every once in awhile but so far it looks like my gps is hosed

Dont try quickgps
  4. EQBob

EQBob New Member

No problem, but thanks for the warning. I asked earlier in some other thread what GPSTEST was, cuz I don't know... Is that something we need to get the GPS going?
  5. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

it looks like it just monitors the phones sending and receiving of gps data

bob did you set com port 9
    and the 9600 baudrate?
  6. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

I cant even reflash the phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

Have you tried a format?

With the power off press and hold the mouse button. While still holding down the mouse button power on the phone. The phone will ask if you want to format, press yes.

This will bring your phone back to factory settings. The new ROM (if installed) will still be installed but all settings will return to default and any programs installed will be removed. This procedure will not touch your storage card (at least it didn't touch mine).

Good luck
  8. EQBob

EQBob New Member

no. I was using 4800, which was the default. I saw several posts that stated that, not that I think anyone really knows <G>.

I'll try 9600 and see if that makes any difference.
  9. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

i couldnt connect until i changed to that
  10. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

I am using 9600 with no issues
  11. EQBob

EQBob New Member

you connect indoors, outdoors? what app, etc?
  12. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

well i guess i didnt completely wipe it out maybe because now my sat search actually goes into the whole numbers (meaning the single digits) up to 7 while i was just on the roof but it never connects and i end up getting the google maps time out message about my gps chip being wack.................or something like that

* at this point gpstest is busier, at some point or another every bar goes up and down as opposed to all of them just staying at the bottom
  13. EQBob

EQBob New Member

THUD! You went up on the roof to get better connections for sats??????
    Dude....either you're REALLY hardcore...or you REALLY need a different hobby <VBG>
  14. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

Outdoors, I don't think the GPS chip in our phones is strong enough to pick up sat signals indoors. Even outdoors the phone only picks up 4 or 5 sats while my bluetooth gps receiver picks up 11 or 12.

I use Google Maps and Garmin mobile
  15. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

lol nah cleaning gutters

it's forever seeking but never connecting
  16. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

And you made sure location is set to on vs 911 only?

That was the only system change I needed to make in order to get mine working.
  17. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

yeah but i may have killed it trying to speed up the locks
  18. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yeah...it is a bit slow but fires up in a minute inside on a rainy day...at the longest two. here's a ss of gpsVP with quite a few sats but it bounces from alot (not strong) to a couple (strong), occasionally losing lock. the track (pink) is me just sitting at my desk but it at least did put me in the correct house! it seems really slow as well. i walked to the corner and back and after a couple minutes my cursor caught up to me. that might be gpsVP not liking internal though. i sure cant see using the internal for driving...and i doubt ill use it for geocaching. but ill try live search next!

Attached Files:

19. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

I have a question.

I have a bluetooth GPS reciever that I used on my MotoQ with great success. I paired it with my new Saga but how can I tell what com port it's on? It used to be 9 but now the internal GPS is com9.

Do I have to turn off my internal GPS for it to work?
  20. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

FROG what was in the cache in your sig?
    i want to get into geocaching but havent yet