How to ICS vua Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by jpwoof, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jpwoof

jpwoof New Member

How to ICS vua Bluetooth?

Hello experts!

Just wondering about the procedures on how I can connect to the internet via bluetooth through my Q9 on my laptop?

Thanks!
  2. dwboston

dwboston New Member

Dial-up networking via Bluetooth works for me on AT&T's network. Create a bluetooth connection from the phone to your PC then use XP or Vista's Bluetooth Dial-up setup in the "Bluetooth Devices" section in the Control Panel. Enter the number and username and password for your wireless provider in the dialog box.

Internet connection via Bluetooth Personal Area Networking doesn't appear to work - at least I haven't seen anyone that has it working yet.
  3. LuvrGirl

LuvrGirl Member

So what really is the difference between Bluetooth DUN and Bluetooth PAN? Are there speed differences?

~maria
  4. dwboston

dwboston New Member

In practice there is no difference. People interested in PAN appear to think that AT&T can't tell you are tethering while connected via PAN. I have no idea if that's true or not. I got pretty good speeds while connected via Bluetooth DUN - averaging around 650 kbps down and 350 kbps up. I won't use it except in an emergency or if my cable modem goes out and I have to get online.

That said, there must be a way to enable internet access via PAN. I'm sure AT&T locked it out somehow.
  5. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

PAN has an advantage I believe in that it doesn't need to worry about the dial up string, which also means you can make use of the device's built-in WIFI connectivity if that's avaialble.

To do ICS via PAN, just make sure the following procedures are follow;

1. Pair your laptop with your Q9h
    2. Start ICS in your Q9h, select "Bluetooth PAN" as the PC connection
    3. Then execute "Connect" in ICS (the left softkey)
    4. Go to your Laptop, you should have a bluetooth icon on your system track, Right click on it to select 'Join a Personal Area Network'.
    5. Select Q9h and click 'Connect'.

Viola!
  6. dwboston

dwboston New Member

We've tried this and it doesn't work with the Q9h. Only DUN works right now.

You can connect the Q9h and the laptop via PAN, but you can't connect to the Web on the laptop using the Q9h's data connection via PAN.
  7. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

then this is strange, it works for me, in fact, I'm posting this on my laptop via my Q9h data plan.
  8. dwboston

dwboston New Member

Do you have an AT&T Q9h? I think thats the issue here - us folks with AT&T Q Globals are having this problem. There is no "Bluetooth PAN" option in ICS, only "USB".
  9. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

this is interesting.

No, I don't have AT&T Q9h (thank godness or what? But at least you get a GPS chip), so that might answer the mystery.

Then again, the availability of Bluetooth PAN profile, is based on the Bluetooth stack drivers, so I imagine the situation is the bluetooth stack available in AT&T Q9h is older and thus needs to be updated.

sorry I can't be of any more help than this.

Here's what I found out on the pros of using ICS over DUN

10. dwboston

dwboston New Member

Well....

(1) Not an issue since you only have to enter the connection string *99# the very first time you set up the DUN link in Windows. After that it's just hitting the connect button each time you want to start DUN.

(2) I don't think this is an issue since AT&T's 3G (UMTS/WCDMA) network handles simultaneous voice & data.

(3) I don't think this is an issue based on (2).

(4) Nothing to really comment on here.

(5) Not sure about this one.

From reading other posts on other forums about this, I don't think there is a practical difference between PAN and DUN in terms of connecting to the internet, connection speeds, simultaneous voice/data, etc. I think the attraction is that people believe that AT&T doesn't know you are tethering when connected via PAN. I don't know if this is true or not, but it would seem they might be able to tell it was tethering by patterns of data usage and amounts. I don't think the fact that Bluetooth PAN is missing from ICS is a Bluetooth stack issue. I'd bet that AT&T disabled the option somehow specifically to cut down on tethering.
  11. zmenchhofer

zmenchhofer New Member

the only option i have for PC Connection is USB... i dont see bluetooh... i have the BT PAN connected.. anyone know how to get the BT PAN in the list?

THanks
  12. chuckh1958

chuckh1958 New Member

To use bluetooth DUN with At&T Q9h, is there anything on the Q that needs to be running first? I cant get it to work. The Q9h has been paired and I can use ActiveSync over bt. I had it connecting to the net over the q via bt DUN yesterday but today it doesn't work. On the laptop when I select the Q9 DUN I get "error 692: there was a hardware failure in the modem".