How to get MMS messages on the Moto Q without data plan?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless' started by squale, Jul 19, 2007.

1. squale

squale New Member

How to get MMS messages on the Moto Q without data plan?

I have the Motorola Q, but do NOT have a data plan. In fact I have the internet usage BLOCKED on my account because this phone likes to try and connect to the internet on it's own I see. So I just have an unlimited TXT messaging plan. But now I find out, that I CAN'T send or receive MMS messages on this phone because I need a DATA plan. This is a real problem for me and I think it's very unfair that I need to pay for BOTH a txt messaging plan AND a data plan just in order to get MMS messages like anybody else with a regular txt messaging plan can get. It's like VZW has you in a real catch 22... they don't even offer any feature for people with Moto Q's in which we can say pay like $40 a month for unlimited data, but that will also include unlimited txt messaging. I wouldn't mind paying $40 per month if that were the case, but to pay $40 a month for unlimited data, THEN pay another $20 for unlimited txt messaging, wow, we are talking a lot of money here!

Sprint is starting to look better and better, and before you know it, their network is going to be far superior to VZW, they already have EVDO revision A...
  2. My-Q

My-Q New Member

You can't do MMS with a data block. I feel for you. I am in the same boat. Fortunately, I never need to send anything but Plain Jane txt.
  3. squale

squale New Member

Theres gotta be something Verizon can do for us.. I'm sure there are a lot of people in this same situation as us.. it really sucks.. they have us by the #@$#$#@%

4. 25bbmom

25bbmom New Member

On Sprint's Q you can't send picture mail at all. Sprint disabled it all together on their Q's. To send pictures with a Sprint Q you have to do it through your email account.
  5. My-Q

My-Q New Member

I have been around and around with VZW already over this issue. Unless every customer bows up, VZW will do little.
  6. jayman

jayman New Member

They don't care! ... I don't use the MMS feature much anyway, however even the new iPhone on AT&T doesn't support it. I do however use the data, I just wish that Verizon would lower their rates. For as much as I use the data, it's really not worth the price I am paying.
  7. lance1

lance1 New Member

you could send them by going to vzwpix.com and sign up, you get all your pics there and then you can upload them onto there and send them to any phone number or email, kind of a hassel but thats the only way around it right now.. its really dumb, i did the same thing because i bought my q in april and had data turned on for 3 weeks, and my bill went up to 1200!!! i was very mad and verizon didnt care, i blcoked it like you b/c i dont feel like spending 40 -100 dollars extra a month, i cant wait until (hopefully) they get a cheaper/ better plan!!
  8. ruwiredup

ruwiredup New Member

I was in the same boat as you when I got my q. No data plan and didnt want one. I only needed to send pics via MMS. As of a couple months ago VZW changed the policy and they do not charge you for data sent via MMS messages. It goes as data but you don't get charged for it. I was skeptical at first cause the data was showing up when I looked online at my account but when bill time came there were no charges for THAT data from the MMS.
  9. smokingfretboard

smokingfretboard New Member

There's got to be some sort of a hack that makes your network recognize your q as a regular phone! Or maybe if you programed your q to use a different web browser, say...access web, opera, etc. it wouldn't need the smart phone data plan. To sum up...maybe you could get your Q's internet/MMS features to run just like a regular phone, then you might even be able to deactivate a regular phone (like my LG) and activate the Q in it's place manually, and the network wouldn't know the difference
  10. My-Q

My-Q New Member

I have gone back to my Q. I have the txt/pix plan and no data plan. Or, I should say that my data plan is pay per use. I can send pix that show up as mms and there is NO charge for the amount of data used. On my current bill, I have sent 6 pix and there is no charge.

I would caution, do not set up any type of mail service or any service that will automatically try and connect, such as an instant messenger or fizz. You just have to be careful with the extra stuff you install.
  11. wmscottmc

wmscottmc New Member

I tried this and it worked for 1 month, but on the next bill I was charged about $100, even though I only sent about 10 pix, and never browsed the internet. VW could not figure the charges, but made me pay anyway. Something on the phone was connecting to the internet/using data charges. ** Be CAREFULL** .
  12. Davidae225

Davidae225 New Member

I have the same problem. unlimited texts, no data. but when i recieve a mms message i have to download it and because i have no data, i cant. is there any way that i can get the message off my phone and download it on my computer?
  13. Bozz

Bozz New Member

They have you by the b@lls.... dont think there is anything you can do about it unless you pay Verizon for the least expensive data plan you can get. They lowered the cost of the unlimited to $29.99 and I think they have a $10/5mb plan or something like that... call them.

Bozz
  14. sherri

sherri Active Member

$24.99 for the 5 mb.....better off paying $5.00 more for unlimited......