How to flash your I910

Discussion in 'Samsung Omnia' started by blackmeto, Oct 20, 2009.

1. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

How to flash your I910

I put this together to provide a step by step for omnia users that may have any questions or fears about flashing. First, lemme say that flashing is a simple process but nobody wants to be responsible in the off chance that you do brick your phone. Look at it this way if u paid for the insurance like i did and u do happen to brick ur phone its on asurion and verizon for giving us a phone that needed to be flashed before we could unlock its TRUE potential.
    (Those are MY words not yours DO NOT tell VZW that you flashed to a different rom)There is no reason to be afraid though, this ENTIRE process IS reversible should you ever need to send the phone into Verizon afterwards.
    (We'll get to that in a minute)

Lemme explain roms real quick
    A rom is your omnia's operating system, without one your phone cannot do anything. Not even make phone calls. (WHEW! that was alot to type)
    Since we are all in America and on VZW we all have the omnia i910. The overseas version is the i900. Be sure that the rom that you find and like is made for the i910 and NOT THE i900. If you install a i900 rom on your i910 your phone WILL BE BRICKED. No if's, and's or buts about it. Once you download a rom you will notice that it came down in a .zip or .rar open that and extract the .bin to your desktop. The .bin is the custom rom

How to find custom roms for the i910

http://tinyurl.com/yh9eros
    Google is always a good way but to go deeper check out places like

http://omniarom.com/forum/index.php
    the 6th and 7th section down are nothing but custom roms. Once again be sure to get a omnia I910 rom . The 6th section is for new chefs so tread with caution. The 7th section is for the more established chefs so they will always be a safe place to look.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83
    there some great chefs here but there is no way to tell the difference between a helpful chef and a pain in the "Omnia" chef so just use trial and error

There are many more places to get them from than just that so explore/look around and if you do find a place i dont know about PLEASE lemme know about it too

now for the biggie:

if you do flash a rom and something is wrong with it or you dont like it for WHATEVER reason, just flash to another one. ANY other i910 rom that you like.
    If you need to give your omnia back to verizon just flash back to the official rom here

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa...557&PROD_SUB_ID=561&PROD_ID=1360&AT_ID=157996

First things first you must have the CF03 update already on your phone. You can check to see by going to Settings>System>Version.
    if it says S:i910.10 V.CF03 then you are ready to go, if not go here
    http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa...557&PROD_SUB_ID=561&PROD_ID=1360&AT_ID=157996

Once you are sure that you have the correct software version you will need this UMDL from here
    http://www.4shared.com/file/142222320/7d3a4dbb/omnia_umdl.html
    the UMDL is basically a program that acts a launcher for the rom update.(The bridge to get the rom from your computer to your Omnia, if you will)

The instructions are written for Windows XP but are the exact same for Vista and Windows 7 as well, it's just that the way that the phone connects to the pc is different on each version of Windows. Flashing is VERY easy and once you've flashed one, you can flash all of them with no issues at all... that's why most of us become flashaholics.
    We all have our favorite chef's and most of them are very good, it's just a matter of if you like one chef's tweaks and additions vs. another chef's rom.
    Thats the beauty of it, It's your phone.You decide how it operates, NOT THE CORPORATION.

Now let's begin:
    Since this is the first time you have flashed your phone, you need to download the UMDL software i linked to earlier in the post. In case you missed it,
    http://www.4shared.com/file/142222320/7d3a4dbb/omnia_umdl.html

Be advised that flashing a ROM will erase most things which aren’t on your storage card (contacts, programs, system settings, etc.). I backup all of my contacts and appointments using Microsoft Myphone but please understand that Myphone is not the only way to backup contacts. With that being said a total phone backup is not the way to go as you will be restoring your backup to a COMPLETELY new operating system (and then good buddy your just asking for it). Follow these steps using a Windows XP computer which has ActiveSync installed:

1. Rightclick on ActiveSync and go to connection settings and change it to “not allow USB connections” on your computer.

2. Open the UMDL program you downloaded earlier on your pc

3. Select PDA on the left column and search for the custom ROM you downloaded earlier.

4. Turn off your phone

5. Select “Detect” in the lower left part of the UMDL program, and then turn your phone on.

6. connect your phone to the pc using the usb cable and THEN power it on

Most likely this will fail the first time as umdl will be configuring the drivers, if it fails for you, once the phone boots to your today screen disconnect the phone from the pc , close the UMDL and start over again from step 2

7. A dialog box in the bottom left should say that a PDA device was detected. The ROM will automatically be uploaded to the phone (DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS), and upon finishing, the Omnia will restart. Don’t bother restoring your system preferences at this point.

8. Before reconfiguring your phone’s settings, go to Start -> Settings -> Personal -> Phone -> Services Tab -> Highlight GPS and click “Change Settings” -> Toggle “Location On”
    The OK button to leave this screen will not and does not work in any of the custom roms so being the smart guys that they are your menu button's short press (the one on the top right with the square with the dots in it) will most likely be mapped to ok so just press it to exit this screen. (if its not go to Start -> Settings -> Personal ->Buttons and map the menu key to ok and then go back and change your gps to location on)

9. Next, dial *228 and hit option 1. This will reprogram the phone. Then dial *228 again and hit option 2 to update the preferred roaming list.

Thats it! you are done and the phone now operates like a completely new device
    Reinstall whatever apps and make any tweaks that werent included in the new rom that you want. MAKE SURE THAT THE APP THAT YOU WANT IS NOT ALREADY INSTALLED OR ELSE YOU WILL JUST BE WASTING SPACE WITH A APP THAT IS INSTALLED TWICE.

If you did like me and backed up using microsoft myphone and its not already installed in the new rom find the cab for it here
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=45cd0b4e-cb8c-460c-8f62-b27758721aa8
    MAKE SURE YOU GET THE TOUCHSCREEN VERSION!

install it, press sync, and walaah! whatever you told it to sync the last time you synced will be right back on your phone.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

--thread has become a sticky thread--
  3. sulster

sulster Active Member

Sweet!

blackmeto, I am one of the hesitant ones. Thanks for the handy step-by-step. I really might do it now! :)
  4. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

yeah theres really nothing to worry about.
    the first flash will take a moment because ull be reading my post step by step but after that the flash only takes 10-15 seconds, literally.
    yes it will take longer to find a rom to flash to then to actually flash it.
  5. sulster

sulster Active Member

What's a good "beginning" custom ROM to flash to?
  6. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

you can do it suls! =)
  7. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

8. sulster

sulster Active Member

9. sulster

sulster Active Member

Did it! Thanks :)
  10. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

any first impressions?
  11. sulster

sulster Active Member

Still getting used to it... The homescreen kinda reminds me of Sliding Screen on the Q a little bit... :)

I don't think I could flash very often b/c having to enter all these Activation Codes is killing me!! :)
  12. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

U can still use MS3, in place of that there is the neo theme and a new plugin called jml today that adds a kind of shell function to titanium, its pretty cool but i hadnt had time to play with it yet

and yeah thats the one bad thing about constantly flashing but we're close to a solution
  13. sulster

sulster Active Member

blackmeto-
    am gonna take my discussion of the ROM over to that thread. THANKS for your help!!
  14. Robertjm

Robertjm New Member

First off, let me give a BIG Thank You to the original poster. This thread made my flashing of my phone virtually painless. The only hiccup I had was the step telling me to not allow USB connections. It is different in WMDC. I am posting the step for WMDC below and would suggest the original post be edited by the author for future readers.

FOR ACTIVE SYNC:
    1. Rightclick on ActiveSync and go to connection settings and change it to “not allow USB connections” on your computer.

FOR WINDOWS MOBILE DEVICE CENTER:
    1a. Disconnect phone, if not already disconnected.
    1b. Click on Mobile Device Settings
    1c. Click on Connection Settings
    1d. Deselect "Allow USB Settings" and "Allow Connections to one of the Following"

Also, "..., and then turn your phone on." needs to be deleted from Step 5 as the phone needs to be connected to the pc first while it is still off (which is in Step 6 of the HOWTO: already)

BTW: UMDL didn't fail on me. In fact, I was shocked when the whole process started immediately as I turned the device on, which I wasn't quite ready for. :D

Thanks again!!
  15. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

thats great, welcome to eWM!!!
  16. Smee342

Smee342 New Member

to Blackmeto, i wish i would have come across you thread when i first starting reading about flashing, i made the stupid mistake of flashing my omnia with a i900 yea it is a stupid mistake, umm if there is any new info on how i can get stock rom back i would greatly appricate that info.

Smee