How to flash to the Generic/USCC combination firmware with working MMS and data

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by Conquistador, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Conquistador

Conquistador New Member

How to flash to the Generic/USCC combination firmware with working MMS and data

As may know, we're getting a lot closer to fixing the GPS on the Q9c/m. It seems to be in the final stages. Thanks to wnrussel who started the new GPS thread and project, to CellZealot for his experience and determination, and to all the rest of the crew for their help and efforts.

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN CREATED FOR THE PURPOSE OF HELPING EVERYONE THROUGH THE PROCESS OF FLASHING TO A FIRMWARE WITH THE GENERIC GPS STACK AND AN OPEN PROFILE FOR GETTING EVERYTHING TO WORK ON ANY CARRIER. USCC CUSTOMERS MAY NOT HAVE TO CHANGE FIRMWARE. ANY QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED HERE RATHER THAN THE GPS THREAD.

Thanks to DoctorQ for discoverng the Generic/USCC combination. As always, do this at your own risk...

This is the what you need to get ready for the final product. This first link is a package that contains the following items: The Generic monster for the first flash, my modified DEBRANDED USCC Upgrade file (The boot image has been changed to the standard Motorola logo boot image) for the second flash, the cab file that removes the powering down USCC logo and installs the MMS settings (I only provided the VZW MMS settings, other carriers can change the settings manually... you'll still have to change over to the VZW profile from within the MMS settings), and I threw in RSD Lite for the complete package. The Link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/234859843/Q9C_GPS.rar

The package is about 100 MB, so if you already have some of what you need, here are links to individual files:

Generic Monster:

http://rapidshare.com/files/235243407/FlashGENERIC_N_C_02.05.00I_01.01.00R_MONSTER_01.rar

Debranded USCC Upgrade:

http://rapidshare.com/files/235232365/Debranded_USCC_P3_NN_C_02.0A.01I_UPGRADE_FILE_01.sbf.zip

Cab file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/235257129/USCC-VZW-Debrand-MMS-Dialpad.CAB

RSD Lite:

http://rapidshare.com/files/235256763/RSDLite_4.5.3.zip
  2. Conquistador

Conquistador New Member

Some were having problems flashing with this version of RSD Lite. If you do, search for and download an earlier version... like 4.2.

For this, you'll also need QPST and HW Virtual Serial Port. A guide for setting it up can be found here:

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/moto-q-9c/q9c-alltel-data-and-mms-not-working-29854.html

FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

1) Deactivate phone (Change service to another phone).

2) Connect QPST using HW Virtual Serial Port according to the guide in the link above.

3) Click "Read from Phone" at the bottom.

4) Click "Save to File" at the bottom and save your backup file.

5) Connect to RSD Lite.

6) Flash with generic sbf file.

7) Flash with debranded USCC upgrade file.

8) Reconnect QPST as before.

9) Click "Load from File" at the bottom and find your saved backup file.

10) Click "Write to Phone" at the bottom.

11) Reactivate phone (Switch service back to your Q9c/m).

It should fully work with your carrier. You should have full data. If you install the cab for VZW MMS remember to switch profiles in your MMS settings to continue to get your MMS.

Feel free to ask questions.
  3. manbat

manbat Active Member

RapidShare says"you are already Downloading"

Almost every time I try to D/L from Rapid share it says"you are already Downloading". It will not let me continue. Any Hints?
  4. manbat

manbat Active Member

Switched to my wife's laptop....

Switched to my wife's laptop....everthing went fine. Now my computer says I have to wait 10 minutes to D/L. Strange...lol
  5. Q9Nap

Q9Nap Member

I've had this happen before too, using the Opera browser i believe...had to uninstall Opera to get rid of this message from showing, even when using other browsers.
  6. manbat

manbat Active Member

I do have Opera installed on my desktop...hmmm?
  7. Conquistador

Conquistador New Member

Were you able to download everything? I can post links for the files on another site if need be. Let me know....
  8. manbat

manbat Active Member

I got it all......

I got it all......Now I'm looking for an "eBay Mule" to try this on!! lol Would you suggest a real Verizon phone or can I get a Sprint or Alltel and flash it with the Verizon WM6.1 Q9c Rom? Then activate and backup with QPST? And then Flash Generic. The green Alltel is kind of interesting.
  9. Conquistador

Conquistador New Member

I don't know. Verizon has been getting a little cranky about using phones from other carriers. I have a Sprint Q9c that I flashed over to the generic monster and used it for many months on Verizon. I switched to my Verizon Q9c and when I went to switch back, they said that it wouldn't work. They wanted me to send it in to get it flashed by them to be able to use it. So using a phone from a different carrier may be a huge pain for you.
  10. manbat

manbat Active Member

Yeah...Getting a Verizon would remove some steps....

Yeah...Getting a Verizon would remove some steps....and Activation wouldn't be an issue.
  11. Q9Nap

Q9Nap Member

I'd be willing to part with my Q9m (with lime green housing) as soon as my Nap can be activated, hopefully very soon. You'll probably find one on eBay before then, but just throwing that out there :smile:
  12. benfoster1977

benfoster1977 New Member

Dialing *228 to update roaming capabilities...

Dialing *228 and updating your roaming capabilities will not alter any of the programing correct? I do not want to reflash everything again. I do want most current tower locations, but don't want verizon to program my phone obviously.
    Thanks
  13. Conquistador

Conquistador New Member

I don't think that would affect it at all. Supposedly it's only updating your roaming capabilities. I've updated and had no problems.
  14. Q9Nap

Q9Nap Member

Just had the txt messages app freeze up on me and had to pull the battery. This is the second time it's happened. The first time was while receiving a message and this time was while sending. Anyone else had this happen?
  15. quadkidd02

quadkidd02 New Member

Ok, posted this somewhere else with no luck or help.

I flashed to the generic/uscc setup, and when I run any gps software my phone sits there for a few seconds then restarts. I've tried reflashing everything again, still does it. Yes the data is working, since that was the only question I was asked the last time I asked for help.
  16. lespaulplayer

lespaulplayer New Member

This is probably a dumb question as I haven't looked into this flash very much, but will it enable GPS use on US Cellular?
  17. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

Nope. See the GPS thread. It's not just for Verizon anymore.

18. Conquistador

Conquistador New Member

This is just the first steps. There is more to be done. When it's finally all figured out, it should work with USCC, too.
  19. JHoleskibum

JHoleskibum New Member

Has anyone done this with a Vista 32bit pc? Any specific issues?

Also, does anyone know if anything weird will happen with MMS since my phone and service are originally alltel which has been recently changed to verizon in my area?
  20. hthomas

hthomas New Member

What is the next step?