How To: COX POP3 Email Setup for Sprint

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Sloonz, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Sloonz

Sloonz New Member

How To: COX POP3 Email Setup for Sprint

Problem: Email via Cox Communications/POP3 will receive email but an error occurs when attempting to SEND email. Emails will not send at all.

After scouring these forums as well as the internet I was unable to find a fix for my particular problem. Not until I contacted Cox Communications and spent almost an hour on the phone with Sprint tech support was I able to resolve my issue. I thought I'd share my fix here since this forum has been a wealth of info for me in the past. I think this fix applies to many other personal POP3 accounts but have not tried it yet.

Summary: Able to receive POP3 email but not send email. Email must be setup to use your POP3 settings for incomming email but use Sprint's (or you carrier's) SMTP settings for outgoing email. Your email recipiant will still be able to automatically reply to your POP3 email and not your Sprint email. Your sent email should say somethig like: your sprint email address on behalf of your POP3 email address (i.e. johndoe@sprintpcs.com on behalf of john.doe@cox.net)

Fix:
    1. Set up your Cox email using "Automatic Setup". Use your COX/POP3 User name and Password. Make sure you select the Save Password check box.
    2. In the Outgoing Server field manually input smtp.sprintpcs.com.
    3. Select(check) the Outgoing server requires authentication check box.
    4. In Outgoing Server Settings screen select(check) Use different user name for outgoing sever check box.
    5. Input your SPRINT User Name and Password. Make sure you select the Save Password check box. Leave Require SSL connection check box blank/unchecked.
    If this is able to help at least one person then it was worth my time to post it...
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

thanks for sharing... this might very well help some folks out.
  3. kslacker

kslacker New Member

Thanks

Well, you helped me, so it's worth it!:smile:
  4. MattB

MattB New Member

Thats pretty crazy, sprint is actually blocking ports?
  5. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

not sprint, Cox doesn't allow email to be sent through their servers from IP adresses that aren't theirs.
  6. MattB

MattB New Member

My Cox account works fine on my Verizon Q.
  7. Somecomic

Somecomic New Member

Sprint and emails

Not sure if this is related or not bu I had a very similar experience with Sprint and Comcast. I could receive, but not send. I had to go in and remove a digit that was in the settings. It worked fine after that.

Peace, Mark
  8. cjoneill2

cjoneill2 New Member

Same problem but I am with Verizon. Wondering if the same solution will work? I have spent a couple hours on the phone and haven't had any success.

9. GldnBear

GldnBear New Member

Most cable companies (I'm with Time-Warner) will not allow you to send e-mail using their smtp server unless you are connected to your cable modem. This should work. The e-mail goes out with your Cox e-mail address as the sender. You just need to find the settings for Verizon. I'm with Sprint. I called customer service. Someone had me going in two minutes. Otherwise, search the forum for Verizon's SMTP settings. I've got to believe there are multiple threads with the settings.
  10. cagster

cagster New Member

With Sprint PCS Mail Going down What Now?

I have tried the steps above and still wont send email on secondary accounts for Comcast. Primary Account works fine. Any Ideas??

Cagster
  11. dogkrazy

dogkrazy New Member

I have the solution!!

I struggld with this on my old rant..just got a new sprint Moment and was determined to have email ability.

go online to sprint and sign into your sprint account. from there click on "my online tools" and then put in a password, write down your password and the user info they give you.

go back to your phone and on outgoing messages click that you want to sign in and then fill in blanks with your log in info sprint just gave you and use your password you had put in. for the smtp use the original posters info of the smtp.sprintpcs.com and then send a test message and see how you do. for the first time ever I have finally been able to send a message!!! YEAH!!! Hope that helps someone