How to Configure the Q9h for Tmobile USA

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by adamb78, Jul 30, 2007.

1. adamb78

adamb78 New Member

How to Configure the Q9h for Tmobile USA

I just got my Q9h and went through the process of setting it up. This same process may be the same for any Windows Mobile 6.0 device on Tmobile.

When your phone first starts up it may ask you to select a network or something. Choose UK, then Vodaphone.

Next, you need to go to Start, Settings, More, Connections. Then go down to GPRS. Click on Contract Internet and choose Edit.

Fill in the following values:
    Connects to: The Internet
    Access point: internet2.voicestream.com
    No username or password. Authentication type is None.
    Primary DNS: 216.155.165.50
    Secondary DNS: You can put the same although I'm not 100% certain that is necessary. The Q9h nicely remembers that long number so you don't have to re-type it.
    IP Address: leave blank.

Next, edit the Contract MMS entry with the following settings:
    Connects to: WAP Network
    Access point: wap.voicestream.com
    No username or password. Authentication type none. No primary dns, secondary dns, or IP.

Delete the entries for Contract WAP and Email.

Now you need to configure MMS. Go to Messaging, then MMS. Click on Menu then on MMS Settings, then MMSC Settings. Click Menu, then Add with the following settings:
    Profile Name: Tmobile (doesn't really matter)
    MMSC: http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
    Data Connections: WAP Network
    Gateway: WAP 2.0 Gateway
    IP Address: 216.155.165.50
    Port: 8080
    Encoding: Binary

If there are multiple entries under MMS settings, make sure Tmobile has a check by it (click Menu, then Select).

Next, go to Connections, Proxy and Delete the entry there.

In Opera go to Options, Tools, Settings, Connection, Select Network, "The Internet."

Then go to Start, Settings, Connections, Default Internet Account and choose Bypass proxy.

Hope that helps.

You may ask...why did you get a Q9h if you can't use UMTS on the Tmobile network? Well I bought it on ebay and didn't know at the time that it only did 2100 umts (which no one in the states has). So it was a mistake.

But I have the Verizon Q now and it is annoying the hell out of me with its crashing and slowness. Plus I couldn't add my second exchange account as an IMAP or POP account without getting send/receive errors.

I did an internet speed test on the Verizon Q and it was only 63kbit/sec (yuck!)...not faster than Edge theoretically. I just ran the speed test on the Q9h and it came up at 36 kbit/sec (ah well). Anyway I really like Windows Mobile 6.0. It's much snappier. I'll probably get the Verizon Q9 or ATT Q9 when it comes out and use this for travelling purposes.
  2. babylavender

babylavender New Member

I tried. :-(

hey I just got my Q9H and I tried configuring my phone with your instructions and nothing works..internet or mms. Please help...I have Tmobile.
  3. dmicci

dmicci New Member

Does text messaging work?

I've been on T-Mobile (FlexPay plan) for about month now. I brought my Q9 from Europe where it came from Vodaphone (but I used it with a TIM SIM card). On T-Mobile everything works EXCEPT for sending SMSs. In general, it does not work at all and for every attempt I get a msg saying "Your text message cannot be sent".

I called T-Mobile support many times, once they did something over the air which made it work for about a day or two, then back to same...receive ok, but no sending.

Last time I called the guy basically gave up on me and told me to try to call Motorola support.

Anyone experiencing the same problem (among the 5 of us with a Q9 on T-Mobile?).

DMB
  4. travis.garrison

travis.garrison New Member

I have this same exact problem with the Moto Q8. I have been on the line with T-Mobile for the last 3 days. They believe that the problem is caused by the phone trying to send SMS messages over GPRS, and their network only supports them over GSM.

I called Motorola this morning and they wouldn't support it at all. They told me that the phone was manufactured for a certain carrier (but they couldn't tell me who), and that the only setting available was the Text Message Service Center Number, but that number is correct as I can receive SMS just fine.

What I think might fix the problem is the Network Wizard tool under accessories. It allows me to "select preferred operator", but it only gives me European countries and operators to choose from. Does anyone know a way to add to the available operators?
  5. sgoldwa

sgoldwa New Member

An idea...

Have you tried using the bandselect.exe program? You can navigate to it using the File Manager. Look under the \Windows directory. (I even created a Speed Dial to make it easier to use.)

Choose whatever frequency T-Mobile supports ... I believe there is a strictly GSM option (850/1900 I think). Switch to that, and try sending your text message. I would love to know if this works, so please let me know!

Steve

P.S. Sometimes, when I click on bandselect.exe, I initially get an error message, but if I click a second time, it works.
  6. travis.garrison

I don't seem to have this file on my device. Is there any chance you could send it to me? travis.garrison_at_uscm.org
  7. travis.garrison

Did you find a solution to this problem yet? I have a Ticket open with T-Mobile's Advanced Technical support, but they haven't resolved the problem yet. Are you able to send SMS messages using AT&T wireless? It works on my Q8 with them, but not T-Mobile.
  8. Meg214Lee

Meg214Lee New Member

I have an unlocked AT&T Q9H and I cannot find these settings. I have been searching for the settings I need to be able to send and receive picture messages thru MMS. Someone please help me out!! Thanks
  9. kngoworld

kngoworld New Member

T-mobile Q9H

Is there anything new on this front? I have an unlocked Q9H from Rogers ATT. I would love to be able to configure the phone with my Tmobile sim card. I have tried all the above setting changes and have all the same problems as other users. I have heard others talk about a file (.cab maybe?) that can be uploaded to the phone that might make it work. Does anyone know anything?
  10. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

Has anyone been able to figure this out yet? I MAY be getting a Q9h thats unlocked from AT&T...but if I cant get it set up to send SMS and MMS and do the T-Zones proxy hack...then it will be useless to me.
  11. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

Anyone?? I need to know by Friday :(
  12. Raderick

Raderick New Member

Doesn't seem to work for me.
  13. fenjen

fenjen New Member

Can u maybe find the mms settings for T-Mobile NL??
  14. emmielynch

emmielynch New Member

problems with internet, sms, mms

I have followed all of the settings and spent between 6-8 hours with T-Mobile's tier 3 tech support but still haven't gotten anywhere. I had MMS working last weekend but did a master reset and now I can't get the settings to work. When I go to MMSC Settings, I get an error that says "Error: No profiles available". Can't figure out how to fix any of these issues (internet, sms, mms). Can someone please help me? Thanks a million!

**********update - I got MMS working but still can't send text messages or get on the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  15. dstn8r

dstn8r New Member

I'm also trying to get everything working. I found this idunno if anyone has used it
    http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase/root/public/tm21625.htm
  16. emmielynch

emmielynch New Member

SMS (text messaging) fix - kinda

I tried that but only has success with MMS (I think???). The got MMS working but the SMS (text messaging) was a little trickier. The problem does seem to lie in the fact that the Q tries to use GPRS to send text messages and T-Mobile uses GSM. I found a little piece of software called CTScheduler that works like a charm. Just install it on your phone then set up the "Turn GPRS Off" function. Sometimes I have to turn it off a few times a day, but sometimes it goes a few days without having to turn GPRS off again. Basically you have to turn it off everytime it accesses (or in my case, tries) to access the internet because the internet turns GPRS back on. If you are a text messaging fiend like me, it is totally worth it. Just do a search for "CT Scheduler" and you should be able to find it.

Still haven't got internet working, so if anyone has any new insight on that, I would love to know.
  17. Treivir

Treivir New Member

okay well i got mms working but i can't turn off the gprs or gpsr whatever cuz it's lock and now everytime i send a picture message it restarts my phone and i loose any recent texts...
  18. daveasinme0978

daveasinme0978 New Member

a step people need to know

after you do all your settings that the first poster has, you need to google the T-Mobile Wireless Data Configurator and sent the internet settings to your phone :dft010:big_smile

And also, thank you so much for posting the instructions!!! it beats calling customer care!!! Thank you again