How many people use the voice dialing / voice announce calling?

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by EQBob, Apr 4, 2009.

1. EQBob

EQBob New Member

How many people use the voice dialing / voice announce calling?

I find myself using the voice dialing feature a significant amount of the time, especially when wearing the BT headset. I have found that the understanding of the app is absolutely amazing in terms of deciphering the pronounciation of names. I work with folks from Indian, Lebanon, Taiwan, Pakistan, Thailand, etc and it simply does a great job.

I also keep the voice announced call notification on and it plays on top of my ringtone. Quite effective in letting you know of a call, without being obnoxious. That app is also quite stellar at pronouncing thosse same names from above.

I do not find myself using the voice query system to inquire about tasks, time of day, etc on a regular basis. I actually rarely remember the verbal syntax to do that. When i've done it, it has been quite responsive and good, but I just don't find myself doing it consistently.

This was something that i didn't know about the phone prior to purchasing and have found it to be quite a useful tool and a nice discovery. Might help to make a nice "selling point" for those on the ropes.

What are other people's experiences with this?
  2. sherri

sherri Active Member

Don't have the "call announce" on the Q, but I use voice dial all the time...hands free is the law in NY, so with the BT headset on, I use it all the time.

The pronunciation is key, though. Call...Hama Sushi

"Did you say call Honda City?"

If I say Hama Sushi (pronounces like slushee without the "l") it gets it right...
  3. EQBob

EQBob New Member

It'll be nice when all states are hands free. We might save a few more lives then. Absolutely amazing the involvement of cell phones in accidents and erratic maneuvers. The other day I saw a young misfit in the gene pool driving with his knee, while smoking with hand out of the window with one hand and texting with the other....while the knee was driving him forward at 50mph.
  4. sherri

sherri Active Member

EX babysitter used to drive with her knees to text using 2 hands. Had a slight fender-bender with my youngest in the car. EX babysitter!

Also, not to thread hi-jack, but I am in the insurance industry, so I know the damage it does!
  5. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I can well imagine that it would be EX given that situation!

As for a thread hijack, I don't much worry about those things, so talk away.
  6. sherri

sherri Active Member

Time for bed. Have a great night!:laugh2:
  7. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

I have been using MS Voice Command since the Q. Not a big deal that it was included since I have already bought it. I VERY RARELY call without using the Voice Dial, in fact, it is so accurate that I have turned off the verification.

My other FAVORITE feature of MS Voice Command... I can launch items from the Start Menu and my favorites my voice. "Open Live Search"

I can't think of NOT having this app!!!

Jon
  8. DOORZ

DOORZ New Member

I must be doing something wrong here, since I have had horrible results with the voice dialing? It doesn't matter if I use the BT headset or if I try this from the device.

I assume you guys arent using another application for voice dialing? I had a Motorola phone (not a Q) previously and I had no issues using voice dialing.
  9. sherri

sherri Active Member

I'm using the one built into the phone (button looks like pacman)...
  10. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I'm using the built-in application which is Microsoft's inclusion in WinMo.
  11. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

The Saga's voice dial is the very same Windows Voice command that i had such a hard time finding a update for on my q9c after it moved on up to 6.1
    It was a must have on the Q but strangely enough I have yet to use it on the SAGA
  12. DOORZ

DOORZ New Member

I don't have an issue activating voice dialing, i just have a hard time getting it to properly recognize commands.
  13. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

did i say activating?
    my bad i meant finding the correct version for wm 6.1
  14. DOORZ

DOORZ New Member

Am I missing something here in you not finding the correct version for Windows Mobile 6.1?

I am using the default voice dialer that came with the phone, but it seems to be a REALLY bad at recognizing commands. I can tell the phone to "Call Brian" and it comes up with crap that doesn't even come close to matching Brian.
  15. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I beleive that was when he was using his old phone that he was having trouble finding the appropriate version.

Have you tried speaking slower?
  16. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

im talking about the q1 and q9c when we first updated
    as far as gettin msvc to respond to ur contact names accurately,the only trick ive found is to spell the contacts name the way that you say it
    in my case dija became deeeja
  17. DOORZ

DOORZ New Member

I tried speaking slower and have had better results.

I need to do a little more research to find out all the voice commands, as the Saga manual doesn't offer up much.
  18. EQBob

EQBob New Member