How Is Windows Phone 7?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Michael Melton, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Michael Melton

Michael Melton New Member

Been on the everythingpre site, Chris remembers me, and got away from webos and back on blackberries. I hate android, and ben curious about WP7. Sprint has the Arrive, but the keyboard and 3.6 inch screen is "meh" to me, plus I don't like HTC that much but the mazaa is interesting. Mango 7.5 looks really sweet and with 7.1 and nodo, WP7 is getting nice. For those using WP7 I have questions:

1) How is Gmail on WP7? Fast delivery and attachments handled well?
    2) Facebook. Differences in the People Hub and the APP. I mostly read friends post, like or comment on them and do the same to pics. Not much more. What can each do and can you have both on phone and not have them both updating all the time?
    3) How good is the cameras with that dedicated camera button?
    4) How good is bing maps and searching?
    5) Does WP7 do well in a variety of signal strengths? I hate Balckberries that act crappy in low signal strength, even webos and android do well in low signal strength locations.

I been reading of new phones with more "umph" coming and my sprint contract is up in days, but HTC Arrive is very meh to me, my wife loves querty and I want a 4 inch touchscreen, good camera etc. Thanks.
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

1) Gmail is great, besides the fact that there threaded email is currently missing (hoping mango brings it).
    2) From the People Hub you can like posts and pics, but not individual comments. You can also see your friend's pics, without updates/posts from the Pictures Hub.
    3) Hardware-wise: believe the hype. It is extremely useful going from a locked screen to taking a pic with just one button. Software-wise: depends on the phone. The Focus has more camera settings than my Surround. But my Surround seems to take okay pics automatically, whereas I had to mess around with the Focus' settings a whole lote to get a good pic.
    4) Bing maps is quick and has built in nearby search and offers driving directions. Can't compete with all the bells and whistles of Gmaps but it serves it's purpose well. Turn-by-turn will come with mango update.
    5) I've noticed with my Surround, if it shows 2 bars or less, data is at a stand still. Calls still seem to go through though.
  3. Michael Melton

So on the people hub, I can see posts and make comments on posts and the see pics and make comments on the pics? That is 90% what I do on the facebook part on a phone. I don't' care about threaded email, it is nice but not needed. I am want a windows phone 7, but the htc arrive isn't that good. Just wonder when more sprint phones coming....
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yes you can.
  5. Michael Melton

6. mmbond

mmbond New Member

Ninjaap: great job of helping Michael make the only choice - Window Phone OS! A minor correction regarding Facebook and the People Hub: you can make individual comments, but you must select the contact, otherwise you can only make comments off of other peoples existing comments. I hope this helps! Btw, Michael, if you're on the fence, give it 30 days. You have nothing to loose and EVERYTHING to gain.
  7. Michael Melton

Explain the commenting situation on a new comment got chose the person? I want a phone but the htc arrive isnt for me i will wait on a new model.
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I think what mmbond is refering to is posting on someone's wall.
  9. Michael Melton

Oh posting on a wall, i will use the main app for that but 99% I like and comment on stuff when not on my tablet or pc at home.

HTC arrive is nice, but I want a nicer phone. *sigh* I got my upgrade, now have to wait. Grrrr.....
  10. Michael Melton

I caved. MS Store had the HTC Arrive for 1 penny and for an upgrade. I played with the HTC Arrive and in person it is much nicer than I thought. So it is coming to me first of the week.
  11. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Sweet deal!
  12. Michael Melton

Been with the arrive and wp7 almost a day, loving it.
  13. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Late to the conversation, but nice to see you in this neck of the woods. Sounds like you are a believer already. :) Just wait until Mango gets here. So you basically got the Arrive for free?
  14. Samuru

Samuru New Member

I love Windows Phone 7 thanks for share it.
  15. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Welcome to eWM, Samuru!!!