How I like and setup my week old Q9C!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by DrQ, Feb 2, 2008.

1. DrQ

DrQ New Member

How I like and setup my week old Q9C!

A little long winded but I've been saving this up.

I've had my Q9C for a week and thought I'd let everyone know how I like it and how I've set mine up. When I got my Q a year ago, I kept reading and trying out new stuff for the first 6 months. I would read lists of what the more experienced users had for apps then search them out and decide after reading up on them, whether they were something I'd like to try.

All in all, I love the Q9C and feel it is much better than the original. Some of the features that were not on the original that I like: mellow start-up sound, HTML email, included memo pad, better keyboard, seems quicker to me, built in GPS works as good as my generic BT-5 GPS receiver (probably will sell it, PM if interested), came with the extended battery, I'm using a BT-60 regular battery with VZ door mostly and get 3 times the life of my original Q battery, better Task Manager and Sprint TV (works if EVDO).

Loaded on my device:
    Facade w/Der Alta' Superman ver 3.1 HS, Agenda One, Quicklauncher (allows the camera button to launch a number of my favorite URLs like m.wund.com for my zipcode and some apps),
    SmartToolKit Rel 08 (see below), Inboxextender and PDANet.

Loaded on my 4GB Top Ram, non-SDHC Storage Card:
    Esmertec Jbed Java App w/ Opera Mini, FizzWeather, Slingplayer Mobile, TCPMP Core Player 0.72RC1 w/AAC Codec, FlashVideoBundle 1.4.4, Smartphone Notes, Windows Live Search w/ 128 MB cache to Storage Card, Sprite Backup 6.1, Profimail (now with WM 6.0 HTML mail I only use this to download and keep a copy of my IMAP saved folders on my storage card so they're on my device if I need them), Total Commander & PHM Registry Editor (for Registry Edits), WorldMate from Mobimate.com (for currency conversions and world times), Viigo (RSS feeds), WMStopwatch and Mobipocket Reader (for Ebooks)

The rest are on my card but used very infrequently: JB5 Browser, Playlist Manager SP, Wordpad (WM 6.0 Memo Pad seems fine), IMSMS (haven't got it to work yet), SmartToolKitLite, PocketSnapIt, Office WM 6.0 (came with Documents to Go), OggSync and Slick (WM 6.0 has it's own IM app but haven't used either yet).

As for hacks, I have the FATFS change cache size to 4096 and MaxConnectionsPerServer from 4 to 50 hacks, Also the hacks to put my email, attachments and PIE to my storage card. The cabs for WM 5.0 to do this did not work on the Q9C, so I did the actual registry edits.

All of this leaves me with:
    500 MB free on my storage card (1000 songs on it)
    24 MB free of device storage
    23 MB of free RAM

All this being said the Q9C is a nice little phone out of the box but it can be so much if tricked out. This should be done slowly, if you are new into this or you'll be looking at the proverbial Master Reset. I got this the way I want it because of one years worth of searching, reading, asking, trying and trying again.

Most of my commonly used apps can be started with only two or three key strokes. I have 10 apps (less used ones) on my Facade Launcher Tab, taskmanager and memory manager on my QuickLauncher plus 2 URLs, 5 apps on STK Popup Launcher and of course 6 apps on the STK Start Button.

As for SmartToolKit Rel 08; I found this version stable if I delete the Task Bar short cut, so clicking home key once brings me back to HS. I then use the Start, Gadget or Task keys and all work fine. I put a separator on the first line of the gadgets popup launcher menu as this first position locked up on me. I use it's keylock (not automatic) in the first position on the gadgets menu and the popup launcher in the second. This gives me a 2 key press keylock with a clock and message bar on the screensaver.

I hope this helps someone find an app of their liking and am certainly willing to answer questions but feel most will be better served by researching here, on Google or one of the other forums. That way you'll get a few different insights into their use, conflicts, problems and caveats.

This set-up is running smoothly and quick enough with better battery life and no lock-ups.
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

A good review on (my opinion) a great phone.:thumbup:
  3. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Very nice....Thanks!
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

cool review... glad you like it.
  5. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Thanks, I just hope it helps some find a trick in their setup they might like. I like the STK/Facade/QuickLauncher combo and I know you use the Right Menu/Facade combo.

The Q offers so many choices thanks to EQ and its members.
  6. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

I also use the STK/Facade combo, and it's definitely a good one. I don't use Facade's app launcher, though, b/c with 6 apps pinned to STK's start button, 2 apps in STK's quicklancher, and 6 apps in STK's popup launcher, I have everything I would need on a regular basis. The remaining apps are not so crucial that I can't spend the extra second to scroll down to them from STK's start menu, and I wanted to avoid unnecessary screen clutter (I like the 2-tab look vs. 3 tabs). I have phoneAlarm running in the slot right above my Facade tabs to handle all notifications, so I've disabled most of the regular plugins Facade uses by default (SPCarrier, SPProfile, SPMissedCalls, and SPMessageCount), and increased the Facade Tabs height to 130. The end result is a nice-clean layout with lots of real estate for the PIM info I need, and easy access to my critical apps.
  7. TCKelsey05

TCKelsey05 New Member

Where can I get the Facade App?
  8. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Click on the Big "Everything Q" on the top of the page and that puts you in the EQ Store. Then go to software and it's on sale till Feb 12 for $10.95 instead of $14.95
  9. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Updated my configuration: changed HS to Der Alta's Superman v3.1 and added some apps; Worldmate from mobimate.com, PHM and Mobipocket Reader.

Ebook reader added because when reading RSS's via Viigo I found a site with FREE Science Fiction books. Baen Free Library. Top authors and some good titles.
  10. apple249

apple249 New Member

Mail attachments saved on Mini Sd card

How do I set the phone up to save mail attachments to the SD card vs the main memory on the device?

Thanks,

apple249

11. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

I believe there's a hack for that described in the Q9c Hacks Thread - it's a Sticky in the Q9c Forum.
  12. wideris

wideris New Member

Hi, you seem to know quite a bit about the new Q9c. I was wondering if you were able to get Memo Pad to synchronize with Notes in Outlook (using 2007). It doesn't give me an option to sync Notes when setting up the device in Windows Mobile Device Center. Thanks very much!
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i believe he's in Africa for a couple of months so he may not reply anytime soon...

aand welcome aboard.
  14. kingfala

kingfala New Member

sync notes w outlook 2007

I've just gone through a lot of steps to set up sync between my Q9c and outlook. As far as I can determine, M/S eliminated the notes sync with Outook 2007. However, you should familiarize yourself with "One Note". I was able to copy all of my "notes", paste them into "OneNote" and now use "OneNote" as I did the old "notes".
    Luck
    KingFala
  15. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

or use smartphonenotes and you dont have to copy and paste anything
  16. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Wow, this is an old thread. I remember when this was originally posted...and I haven't seen DrQ or rainmakerrc posts in a while.
  17. sherri

sherri Active Member

Rainmakerrc hasn't been here since July!:embarassed:

DrQ travels, and pops in occasionally...:laugh2:
  18. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yea where the heck did he go ?

ah yes....
  19. sherri

sherri Active Member

^^^Maybe he will grace us with more pictures of his exotic locales (as I'm sitting here doing yet more laundry!!!):tounge:
  20. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Yeah, that'd be cool to see.