How do Mac users install the Q firmware update?

Discussion in 'Mac and Motorola Q' started by Spotshooter, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Spotshooter

Spotshooter New Member

2. alphadog

alphadog New Member

Someone else on another site says that a Windows Machine is the only way currently. Even the store can't do it.

Sorry. :(
  3. jbean382

jbean382 New Member

Is there a way to make this a .cab file? Then you could just run the update on the Q itself... Wish I knew how to do that.
  4. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I got lucky...well, sort of. I did an unit exchange with Verizon and the replacement had the update. My understanding is that Mac users will either have to bring into a VZW Store when it becomes available OR borrow a friends PC. ActiveSync will not work with Virtual PC. I have to stop by a Verizon Wireless Store to get a battery replacement and will ask them. I'll report back..

-Chris
  5. jbean382

jbean382 New Member

Well, I'll probably just end up using Windows (boot camp), but obviously that's not an option for everyone.
  6. chris

BootCamp puts all of these issues aside for Mac users. I for one cannot wait to add that functionality into my Mac life. Today's iMac releases are very tempting.
  7. EBone

EBone New Member

Chris, you won't be dissapointed with an Intel-based Mac. I ordered the 17-inch MacBook Pro when they released it. It, like all the new Macs, is an awesome machine. I picked up a copy of Windows XP at Costco for $99 and installed Bootcamp and XP in about an hour. It is so amazing to be able to simply reboot and have a full-fledged Windows machine for times just like this update. All of the USB and FireWire ports work, the built-in iSight camera works, even my bluetooth MightyMouse works in Windows.
  8. chris

I've always been a PowerMac guy, but the new iMacs have me thinking about going in a different direction. I think I'm just looking for a reason to get rid of my DELL monitor. The self-loathing has remained since the day I purchased it.:(
  9. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

I just ordered a MacBook which I should have this week. I'm looking forward to running both XP and OSX. I got it through the company so it's technically a work machine, but the IT guy is already giving me a hard time because of all the software I'm having them install. He said "you're configuring this thing like you're going to use it for a primary PC". I laughed and said, "nope, I'm just testing with it". He's right, I plan on making it my primary machine. :p Why wouldn't I? I can have the best of both worlds on one machine.

Oh, our company phased Mac's out completely last year. I get to keep my Mac's at work because I use them for testing purposes. I guess I'm lucky to be in QA. :whistling
  10. Steve-san

Steve-san New Member

Can VZW Stores update your firmware?

So ... ? I have the same need, and found that a small VZW store near me has no idea about this, but there's a bigger store I could go to. Was your store able to update the Q's firmware? :2cool:
  11. pw1981

pw1981 New Member

I run VMWare on my MacBook Pro and did the update under WinXP right from my OSX desktop. :)

Other than having a working copy of Windows on your Mac either via VMWare, Parallels, or Boot Camp your only option is a trip to a friend's house.
  12. Xcolored

Xcolored New Member

You could just use Crossover which runs just the program, not the whole Windows OS.

X