How do I edit XML?

Discussion in 'Q Home Screens and Wallpapers' started by tngirl, Aug 7, 2006.

1. tngirl

tngirl New Member

How do I edit XML?

I feel like I am beginning to understand some of the language of XML and I would like to try to go in and edit my homescreen that I have been using. It is SDMahan's version using Facade and I like it a lot and would like to make some minor adjustments.
    How do I open the file to go in, rewrite the code and resave it? Do I need a seperate program or something? He has said that opening it in the browser may corrupt it, but how else do I access the code- and then once I have, how to change it and save it???

I am sorry if this is a "duh" question!
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

anyone??? help
  3. redmarker

redmarker New Member

i'm not familiar with XML at all, i looked at the code and shat myself. but what i do know if that you can use Notepad to edit it. also microsoft released a freeware program for editing XML file a couple years ago, i'd search that up.
  4. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I copy and pasted into notepad, editted and saved but in order for it to work on my Q it has to be saved as an XML file not a notepad file. suggestions?
  5. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

Try this: when you're done editing in Notepad,

File -> Save as -> Call it whateveryouwanttocallthefile.XML and change Save as type to All Files
  6. redmarker

redmarker New Member

don't copy and paste into notepad. try this: open notepad, file -> open -> change "file types" from ".txt" to "all files" -> open file -remember to back up the original .xml file before editing just in case- then just "save", not save as. doing that will keep in it's orignal form with your alterations. the "save as" technique should work just as well, i usually try to shy from doing that sometimes though because of translation errors. but with .xml and .txt your should be fine, just an fyi.
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Oh My Gosh! I finally figured it out thanks to your help!! I was able to make minor adjustments to SDMahan's home screen and it is now exactly how I want it!!!! WOHOO! Thanks!
  8. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

Glad you got it working TNGirl. I wasn't ignoring you, I just hadn't looked at my private messages in a while (I'm in the middle of relocating). Another great tool for editing XML files is Microsoft Frontpage. I just right-click on an XML file, choose Open With, and choose Microsoft Frontpage. You can use the same technique to open XML files in Notepad or other editors. If your program in not in the Open With pulldown, use the Choose Program option to find your editor.

So TNGirl, I'm curious what customizations you made. Why don't you PM me the XML file and I'll load it up (unless you can take a screenshot and post it here).
  9. q-rocks

q-rocks New Member

OK SDMahan, where is this wonderful home screen xml file of yours? Can you attach it here? Just add a txt extension to the end and we can take it from there.....if you re willing to share of course.

q-rocks
  10. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

11. anindamaitra

anindamaitra New Member

I work with XML for my job. Many of the guys in the office use EditPlus (available as a trial version). It does a lot of the formatting for you and it changes colors for different types of syntax.
  12. scottjb

scottjb New Member

@tngirl,

If you are making a lot of changes, it's definitely esier to do that on a computer. Then you can use IE to check the syntax too.

When making smaller changes, I make them right on the Q using Oneta Notepad.

Just be sure to name it your_name.home.xml. It won't show in the home screen list without the "home" in the name.
  13. jaymatic21

jaymatic21 New Member

i too have been taking homepages I've found in different place and change the wallpaper to make it different. I would like to make my own xml, I'm a web designer with little knowledge of scripting code but use dreamweaver to 80% of my coding. Can you use that to edit xml like you would html? I think dreamweaver is alot better then front page so I would think so. anyone know or have done this themselves? thanks!
  14. jnmobley

jnmobley New Member

I have edited using wordpad but got totally confused when I tried to use MSWord 2003. It opened the file in an xml editor but would not let me make any changes.
  15. rdstoll

rdstoll New Member

My question is whether there is any program out there where I can see how my XML adjustments look as I make them instead of having to save the file, reload it to the Q and change my home screen. Sort of a cumbersome process to do that...would be a lot easier if I could just make changes and "preview" what those changes look like. Any help?
  16. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

I second that or bump that or whatever the lingo is. :smile:
  17. jharg

jharg New Member

Where are you coping the hml from? I can't open it on my descktop and can't copy it from my Q.