How do I choose my own ringtone in Mango?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Ben Walker, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Ben Walker

Ben Walker Member

I gather I can have my own tunes as my ringtone but I cannot see how to do that.
    Can anyone enlighten me.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. jaysonben

jaysonben Member

Once you create, or download the ringtone you want, open up Zune. Find the ringtone in your music collection, right click on the file in the right hand pane of Zune and select Edit. Change the Genre to ringtone. For me, I had to manually type that genre in once, then it was there. After you set it to a ringtone, click ok then drag that file to the little phone icon in the bottom left corner to sync it to your phone. You can then go in and set it as a ringtone on your phone.
  3. Ben Walker

Ben Walker Member

superb. I will give that a go thanks.
  4. Ben Walker

Ben Walker Member

Hi Jay, still having massive problems with this.
    I have chosen a file which is small enough.
    I have changed the genre.
    I have synced with my phone.
    All that has happened is that I have lost the original tune from my playlist in Zune on the PC and also lost it from the playlist on my phone!
    I have gone into 'ringtones' in my phone and there is no new 'custom ringtones'.
    I can't seem to search my phone for the tune whose genre I changes. It just takes me to a bing search on the web.
    So I'm completely flummoxed.
    As I said, I got as far as changing the genre to rington e but after that the tune just disappears.
    Any help gratefully received.
  5. jaysonben

jaysonben Member

Hmm, that is strange. Are you saving the new file as a .mp3 or .wma file? Those are the only file types that WP7 will recognize as custom ring tones.

I have done the above procedures a couple of times on my phone. The one extra step that I do is I rename the ringtone I create to "random song ringtone.mp3". That way it won't overwrite the existing files.
  6. Ben Walker

Ben Walker Member

Thanks for the reply Jay,
    To be honest I don't know how I save the file. I just change the genre to 'ringtone' and press save.
    That all goes fine.
    And syncing goes fine. But then I can't find the track on my phone.
    Where would it be? On Zune? Or in 'ringtones' in settings? It's in neither.
    I wonder if it's because the track isn't listed as DRM free. It's listed in DRM as 'unknown'. Would that be a problem?
    If you could take me through the steps after syncronization I would be very grateful.
  7. jaysonben

jaysonben Member

The ringtone has to be either .mp3 or .wmv, less than 1 meg in size, less than 39 seconds long, and MUST be DRM free. Otherwise, the phone won't allow it as a ringtone. Since you can't find it in Zune, and it's not listed as a ringtone, my guess would be that your phone either deleted it, or stuck it in limbo since it doesn't know how to handle the file. Unfortunately, Zune won't show you what ringtones you have on your phone.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help...
  8. Jack Bonner

Jack Bonner Member

Im having the same trouble. I bought a track off Zune and its on my phone and Zune collection on my computer. I tried your way and saved it as a RINGTONE in the Genre section, but its not popping up on my phone in the ringtone section. Its more than 39 seconds long. How do I create a ringtone to make it 39 seconds or less?
  9. Jack Bonner

Jack Bonner Member

Dang!! Now my song isnt on my phone anymore!! Ben - Did you find where your song went?
  10. jaysonben

jaysonben Member

To get your files down to size, you will need to install an .mp3 editor. I use Audacity. It's free and works very well. The only gotcha is you will need to download and install the Lame .mp3 encoder as well. They are both really small, and work great. Both are available here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows