How are people getting 2 day battery life?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Sosly, Sep 24, 2007.

1. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Your welcome....I'll just be Fred then...happy Q'ing
  2. KOOLWATER

KOOLWATER New Member

I'm not even in an EvDo area. I got 1X and right now my phone is reading 3 signal bars. I know I'm using some other carriers towers because, I can't do the quick calls to verizon services (like #3282 for data check).

But yet I still have great battery life. I don't understand it, but I LOVE IT.:2cool:

example: today I woke up to my alarm (Alarm Master app) Checked my schedule, agenda, and tasks for the day (Extreme Agenda) Checked the weather, news, sports scores (yahoo!go 2.0) I'm an educator so I have notifications that ring to let me know when its 5mins. before the point that I need to dismiss the class (Alarm Master) Made 5 calls of maybe 2-3mins. each. Got on PIE and bought some tickets to an event. And I still have FULL Battery life. its 11:30am. I will still have Full batterylife when I end my day at 8:30pm tonight.

Maybe I just don't do as much as you all...
  3. lexluthor

lexluthor New Member

As far as I've seen, the difference is mainly signal strength.

I generally hover around 1 bar at home and maybe 2 bars at work and I generally end the night at about 50% battery with moderate use.

I have the Seido extended battery and have disabled EvDO. I find that disabling EvDO in an area where it's going in and out adds a good 35% to the battery life.

There have been days where I've been in full signal areas and done a lot of internet and I'm amazed at how long the battery meter doesn't budge.
  4. cheri

cheri Active Member

looked like you wrote Francois, Fred sorry.
  5. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

This saved me a ton of battery life if you are an Exchange Email user.

CONNECT AUTOMATICALLY AND CHECK FOR MESSAGES:
    Set this to NEVER.

Many assume they will not get email if this is set this way. Wrong. The Exchange server will STILL forward your email. Your Q will not check the server automatically, but Email still gets pushed to you.

After I did this I actually made it to about 36 hours on a single charge (from about 12-16 hours). I have noticed no difference in when my email arrives. Honestly, I can't tell any difference between NEVER and EVERY 30 MINUTES.
  6. mehoff88

mehoff88 New Member

Wha???

Are you guys serious?? I overclocked my cpu in the phone by about 80%, but if i have just 3 or 4 programs running it slows my phone down considerably. I just have the battery that came with the phone, and ill tell you what, what a frickin joke. I wonder if motorola even tested to see how long the original battery would last. Ill have a full charge right before i go to bed, 8 hrs later i wake up and its dead. My old nokia would stay on for 3 to 4 days before i have to charge it. sorry for the rant....
    running most of the time:
    Photo Contacts PRO
    (ya, thats it)
  7. Aries

Aries New Member

I have the battery that came with it(the slim one) and the bigger battery that also cam with it..which one is this?whuts the 3200 one i read about?is that the extended one?or an aftermarket one??i dont get it??

I charge my q once every 2 days on average...somtime it lasts for 3....i however dont really do much cept play games and listen to music....and sinse i starteed killing all apps when not in use things have been great....

i wouldnt get that candle light thing...when i want to use the light i jus turn the cam on and turn on the flash?that lights it up for as long as you keep it on.....if you ask me its jus more junk cluttering up your phone if you have it...unless it does somthin else im unaware of..
  8. I use mine for about 3 to 4 calls a day, a few texts... Live search, from time to time. I keep it plugged in pretty much all day while I sleep.

When I'm done with my day, I usually shut it off and turn it back on so that I can get it to check for time zones...as it doesn't do it automatically!! (what a joke)

I never use the alarm on it, I'd never hear it anyhow...

long story short, when I'm done in the morning, it's asking to be plugged back in. I just picked up an extended battery, perhaps I'll get a day and a half out of it then.
  9. toenail

toenail New Member

get the 3200mah extended battery for the q (got it from the qstore)... best $50 ive ever spent... dont know how long the phone will last no being on the charger since i religiously put it on the charger when i crash out... however i can go through an entire day and still be around 85% of battery life on the phone when i stick it on the charger.. dont think the phone will ever die now that i have this battery... before the extended battery i would go around 4hrs till i had to charge the bad boy up.... 3200mah battery and pdanet are well worth the money...
  10. frosty1

frosty1 New Member

my battery the 1640 1 that came with the phone barley lasts me a day with light usage and only txt messaging here and there. and yes i kill all apps all the time.

How do i make it so it doesnt have to search or go to EvDo since my phone switches to that and 1x sometimes?

also how do i disable the email thing so it never checks?
  11. MoWorse

MoWorse New Member

Kept my Q charging all day. I didn't think I needed an extended battery as I kept mine sync'd most of the day or hooked to my car charger when on the road. My job took me out state of an extended period of time and I found that my original Q battery lasted only about 4-5 hours before I was searching for a plug! Ordering a new battery tomorrow.
  12. toenail

toenail New Member

make sure and get the 3200mah, twice the size of the extended battery that sprint sales
  13. micholkim

micholkim New Member

I this done on your Q active sync or on your pc. I can't find this setting "Never" anywhere on my Q or on my PC. I must be missing somehthing.
  14. windtrader

windtrader New Member

I never found anything on the Q that allowed a "never" setting either. The closest I came was in the Options of Activesync on the Q under Menu|Options|Schedule, you can set the sync timing. "As items arrive" plus the other time intervals such as 5 minutes, 2 hours, etc.

Here is what happens from my own testing using a hosted Exchange Server. When set to "As items arrive", the email is pushed to the Q as soon as it hits the Exchange Server. If any time interval is given, the mail item is NOT pushed to the Q from the server until the time interval limit triggers the Q to receive the email; either the Q asks for the synch with the Server, or maybe the Server pushes the updates to the Q if the Q had told the server of the time interval when it was set. Either way, the power use on the Q would not be very much if the interval is higher.

The way it was described in the other post with email being received on the Q as it arrived at the server with all synch settings, even Never. I think it depends on the amount of email flowing to the Q. If there is lots of inbound email and the Q has to start the Internet link to get the email, that is what takes the power. So lots of emails are going to use power, in his scenario.

I found my Q with my Exchange service only receives inbound Exchange email when it arrives in Exchange if the interval is set to "as items arrive". Any other setting and the Q waits. So power is saved when there was not much email flowing in and the synch interval was set to something quite frequent, let's say 5 minutes. Then you set it up to 2 hours. That would save lots of power since in two hours, at 5 minute intervals, the Q makes 24 Internet connections, verses one connection in two hours. You may now save power but your mail synch is delayed as well.
  15. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

• I deleted my exchange account and readded it via the Q. This is where the NEVER setting comes up. I don't know if there is another way to get it.
    • Mine is set to NEVER and I always get my email seconds after it hits my Exchange server. I'm not making this up. Every single one. Now, I DO NOT get a ton of email, but it consistently works this way.
  16. windtrader

windtrader New Member

We are on different services, OS, patch level, something since I do not see the option you get. I deleted my Activesync account and reentered and still do not see this setting. The only place I see options to control when email is to be received is in the section I stated in my earlier post.

My details are:
    Moto Q - Sprint MOL3 - OS 5.1.195 Build 14960
    mail2web as the Exchange host.

I am always, like many Q owners trying to optimize the battery drain and the more I thought about the email aspect this is where I am. You may be on an older or less optimized version since it seems you will always get the email pushed to you no matter what your settings. This can be a bad thing for battery conservation since every time you get a email your Q makes the data connection active (little PDA icon) for some number of secods. This places the maximum drain on the battery when data connected.

My Q email setting allows one to control when the data connection goes active and thus you can control the draw down of the battery to a great extent.

Scenario 1:frequent emails (6 per hour average)

If you set "As items arrive" then each message makes the data connection go live but you get the message immediately. Fastest response, worst for conserving battery. So the data connection goes active 48 times in an 8 hour day.

If you set it to some time interval, say 1 hour, then the data connection goes active only 8 times in a day. Much less draw on the battery.

Scenario 2: You get occasional emails (4/day)
    If you set "As items arrive" the data connection goes active 4 times in the day and you get your email immediately . If you had set it to check each 60 minutes, you make 8 data connections and the email may be delayed up to an hour.

This is how my version of the Q works and provides the ability to fine tune the amount and type of email push depending on your own needs, balancing immediacy against battery drain.
  17. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

This option is available in both MOL1 and MOL3, both of which I have/had on my Q.
    Do not use ACTIVESYNCH to configure your account. Delete the account from the Q. Then on the Q go to let's say TEXT MESSAGES. MENU > OPTIONS. E for CREATE NEW ACCOUNT. Enter name, and email address. NEXT. User/pass/domain. NEXT. POP3, Internet. NEXT. Fill in server names. NEXT. Download following messages. xx days. NEXT.
    CONNECT AUTOMATICALLY AND CHECK FOR MESSAGES. NEVER.
    It works, damnit. ;)

I don't care what OS/Patch/Service you use, this option is available on every Q.
    If you use a real Exchange server (I have an MS SBS [Small Business Server] 2003) you will get your email in real time. Mine has been set like this for 3 months and my email is ALWAYS in synch. And my battery life has improved.
  18. windtrader

windtrader New Member

I found the NEVER option while setting up a new POP email account. What is confusing is the use of the term Exchange email and Exchange Server.

AFAIK you can setup a POP email account without having anything to do with Exchange Server or Outlook Email. The way I understand the NEVER option is that it controls when the Q sis going to poll the POP server and up/download emails in that account. This does not require any Activesync or Exchange services.

The way my Q is configured is to use an Outlook Email setup and have it pointed to an Exchange Server account via Activesync. This gets the Q and the Exchange Server talking together on it's own protocol. Emails, contacts, calendar items, tasks are all synched between the Q and the Exchanger Server via Actrivesync. This is completely independent from the way you described using a POP email account on the Q.

Again, my understanding is with POP email, if you set the option to NEVER, the Q will never initiate and establish any data link with the POP server. So, you do save a lot of energy being consumed by the Q. It was not my understanding the Q would receive any POP email unless it requested the sync with the POP server.

That said, there are some 3rd party email implementations that use SMS to notify the Q an email is waiting and that triggers the Q to request a connection with the POP server and the email is downloaded to the Q.

Thanks for the help and clarification as it is clear to me now we are talking about two totally different Q mail protocols.
  19. bigfrog

bigfrog New Member

Not sure if this is what others are talking about but here is where I have found a place to schedule getting emails for Outlook

Start menu
    Active Sync app
    Menu (right soft key)
    Schedule
    You should see Sync During:
    Peak Times
    and option for Manually, and a bunch of other options

set it to manually and
    Left soft key Done.

Helps my battery life.

good luck.
  20. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

That's it exactly, BigFrog. Thanks!
    I have mine set to AS ITEMS ARRIVE. and SEND OUTGOING IMMEDIATLY.
    I have been paying very close attention to this since this thread was started. I can guarantee you, IF your Exchange Server is set correctly AND you set this setting to AS ITEMS ARRIVE this method will work in 100% real time and will cut down on your battery drain.
    There is no reason for an Exchange enabled account to check email every xx minutes. As long as your Exchange Admin hasn't changed anything. By default with Server 2003 it is set to work this way by default.

Had a slow email weekend and got nearly 4 days of battery life.