Horrible Night time Pics

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by Ric Hatermann, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Ric Hatermann

Ric Hatermann New Member

Is anyone else having this issue? Ever since the updates with the anti-shaking setting to on my Samsung Focus now takes excellent daytime pictures. However I have tried to take 20 pictures at night time inside a restaurant or bar with inside lighting conditions and all 20 turned out with white dotted eyes. it's obviously something to do with the flash. I've tried holding the camera button down half way as well as switching the flash to on, off and back to auto and have had no luck. I can't believe nobody is not having this same issue?
  2. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

Have you tried changing other settings like ISO and white balance? The same instructions I've posted in your numerous other articles concerning pictures on WP7 apply to every scenario, with adjustments.
  3. Ric Hatermann

Ric Hatermann New Member

I've tried them but it's still a little tough to tell what works and what doesn't because you must have a human to test it on ( human eyeballs ) I was playing around with it the other night and I'm thinking that just keeping the flash off may be the solution. I really don't know what ISO does. Do you think if I went with no flash and an ISO setting of about 400 in a somewhat light setting would work? These pictures are taken inside where there is lighting but it's usually dim.
  4. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

n99hockey likes this.
  5. Ric Hatermann

Ric Hatermann New Member

This is a good article and it's starting to make sense. I also have noticed that since I did a hard reset to my phone, my camera seems to be working properly. Not totally 100% sure yet but it seems to be. Thanks again, rich H
  6. Ric Hatermann

Ric Hatermann New Member

I give up on this camera phone. I just took this picture yesterday as I thought that maybe since doing the full reset to the phone would be the answer. Once again I took a picture and tried to use the flash and the picture looks like crap. I just can't believe that I'm the only person in this forum that has reported this issue. This is the case with 100 out of 101 pictures that I've tried to take with using the flash. The person's eyes's are ALWAYS whited out. Do you think I should look into replacing the phone. I'm wonderinig if it's just a defective flash or sensor that could be causing this? see sample picture attached

Attached Files:

7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Hmmmm. That is wierd. I have never seen that on any of my pics.
  8. Ric Hatermann

Ric Hatermann New Member

I know. I have a Kodak digital camera and it takes great pictures. I've never seen this and that's why I'm thinking it has nothing to do with the settings. I think it's something to do with the camera/flash sensor or something because I've taken 100 pictures with the flash on with this camera phone and 99 of them come out this way ( zombie eyes ) and nobody else on the board seems to be having this issue??
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Well since you're thinking of replacing the phone anyway, have you tried doing a hard reset?
  10. Ric Hatermann

Ric Hatermann New Member

Yes. I just did the hard reset last week and that's the main reason I'm so disapointed now as I was hoping that would do the trick. I've been having this issue for three months.
  11. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

Since it's July 4 and I'll obviously be out tonight looking at fireworks, specifically on a beach, I'll try and take some pictures with my Samsung Focus. With that I will have some evidence of my pictures, and I'll gladly post the settings I used.
  12. Ric Hatermann

Ric Hatermann New Member

That's great. Keep in mind though, I have been using your settings and the camera takes fantastic pictures with your settings in the daytime. The problem is that when I need to take pictures at night ( with or without your settings ) on a human being and need to use the flash. 99 out of 100 pictures will display the person's eyes as whited out ( racoon eyes ) It may work good on fireworks at night but not on real people. I just wanted to make sure you understand my actual issue here?
  13. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

Yeah, I tried taking pictures of fireworks last night regardless and was very disappointed. They definitely need to improve the camera on the Samsung Focus device at least. I had an iPhone 4 to test as well and only looked a little better. I will try to take a picture of a person at night time next, you're right I wasn't exactly replicating your scenario.
  14. Ric Hatermann

Ric Hatermann New Member

I appreciate that. I do want you to know though that I did use your exact settings out at the beach about a month ago and the phone does take excellent "daytime" pictures.
  15. Fleon

Fleon New Member

None of the camera phones are going to give you a picture like a real camera will- the CCD is too small. I took some shots of the fireworks, as well, and neither the iPhone 4 nor the Samsung Focus did well at all. I think the iPhone might be slightly better on the still shots, but the Focus seemed to do a little better with video recording.

As for the white eyes, do you have something you could upload that we could see exactly what you are talking about? That sounds just odd. I haven't had anything similar in my shots of people.
  16. Ric Hatermann

Ric Hatermann New Member

Here's one that I just took and out of the 100 pictures that I've taken at night with this phone, this is how 99 of them have turned out. Look at the eyes on the kid to the left. Thanks, Rich H

Attached Files: