Home Screens

Discussion in 'Q Home Screens and Wallpapers' started by gadget, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Fred

Fred New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I have some additional information. I've done as you suggested, and now the background is black and when I move down through the home page, I get a red background with white text, and then when I move to the next section in the homepage, it goes back to "black on black".

My settings are as follows:
    Home Screen Layout: My full layout
    color scheme: default
    background image: default
    timeout: never

Additionally, I have not changed the XML file.

Thanks for the help.
  2. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

I've been private messaging a few users who are using that home screen successfully. Have you tried re-downloading the XML file? Make sure that when you download it that you Right-Click and choose Save-As. Sometimes opening it in your browser and saving it may corrupt it.
  3. Fred

Fred New Member

I've tried redownloading the xml. When that didn't work, I opened the file and changed the background color to #FFFFFF from #000000 and can now see the home screen with the background black, but cannot see the background image.

At least it works; yet I would prefer to see the background image. Any ideas?

Thanks
  4. dyakir

dyakir New Member

this is great... can i replace the picture with one of superman
  5. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

Do you have the file "vzw_home.jpg" in your home directory? It should be there by default on VZW Q's (unless you are on Telus).

I just tested out the XML file by putting in a bad file name for the BGImage and it behaved exactly as you've described. Please check for the existance of the background image (and reset the bgcolor changes you made) and let me know if it works.
  6. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

You can replace the background image of any home screen through the home screen settings page. Just copy the image you want to use into the \Applications\Home directory and choose it in the "Background Image" list on the Home Screen settings page.

I do not know what dimensions you should use for your background image off the top of my head (sorry).
  7. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Hey gadget,

Playing around with your XP Mobile and I like it so far. I emailed the files to my Q and then put them in the right folder and selected them.

Two things:
    When I down button to get to the second screen, that works fine. But when I up button, I actually have the recently used apps line at the top. I have to up button once more to slide up one more line to then show the battery meter, signal strength etc line appears.
    Secondly, new mail from my additional pop account shows up as a second email line, instead of showing up as "Email", which still shows as 0.

Any thoughts? And thanks!
  8. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

On multi-page home screens, if there is anything that is selectable on the first screen, it will hinder seeing the icon bar. I have seen work arounds that put the carrier information on the first screen and the MRU at the top of the second screen. Check this post over at SBSH's Facade forums:
    Motorola Q HomeScreen Thread - SBSH Mobile Software Forums

If you want to get all of your email accounts to show up in the "email" count, then modify the XML as such:

Original:
    <text lang="0x0409">Email<unreadMsgs name="ActiveSync" /></text>

All Email Accounts:
    <text lang="0x0409">Email<unreadEmail/></text>

You can then get rid of the "<!--standard others plugin-->" section if you don't want individual lines for each email account.
  9. gadget

gadget New Member

What he said :laugh:
    You can put the MRU plugin (Most Recent Used) above the icon bar and that will jump it back to the top but I personally don't like it that way.

I just hit the up button twice to get back to the top.
  10. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Ok let me play with that. Thanks guys.
  11. beaseac

beaseac New Member

Is it possible to have two mail counts; one that shows activesync mail the other pop?
  12. bpatt

bpatt New Member

13. myersguy

myersguy New Member

My Full Layout v4

SDMahan

In your version you have the program bar of facade in a TAB. Is that a setting in the program or do I need to down load your XML to get it to work that way. I love that idea and it will give me a little more room on the first screen.

Thanks
    Guy
  14. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

I don't believe that you can "create" the program tab in Facade. I believe that you have to make the launcher part of the "tabs" in XML by hand. Once it is part of the XML, any changes you make to in in the Facade Settings application will make the changes within the Tab.

The XML documentation for Facade explains how to set it up either way.
  15. tngirl

tngirl New Member

sdmahan-you have been such a help,thank you. one last dilema... i sucessfully downlopaded yopur first home screen but when i have a vm and click that tab it opens the text/email/mms screen. any way to have some sort of shortcut to vm on that homescreen? THANKS!
  16. gadget

gadget New Member

Since this is in the Homescreen thread I'm assuming you mean "Is it possible to display 2 email accounts ion the home screen"

Here is how to do it...

Code:
         <plugin clsid="{62E5C279-1E55-4bbb-95DA-D576093C23BE}" name="MessageCount" height="20">
             <background>
                <format state="selected" bgcolor="COLOR_HOMEHIGHLIGHT"/>
             </background>
                       <label>
                                 <text lang="0x0409">Outlook <unreadMsgs name="ActiveSync" /></text>
                       </label>
                       <label>
                                 <text lang="0x0409">Email <unreadMsgs name="Pop3 Account" /></text>
                       </label>
                       <label>
                                 <text lang="0x0409">SMS <unreadMsgs name="SMS" /></text>
                       </label>
                     <label>
                                 <text lang="0x0409">MMS <unreadMsgs name="MMS" /></text>
                       </label>
                       <label>
                                 <text lang="0x0409">Voicemail <unreadVMail hidezero="true"/></text>
                       </label>
              </plugin>
    In the line that reads
    <unreadMsgs name="Pop3 Account" />

Change "Pop3 Account" to the name of your Pop3 account exactly as it shows when you open your Messaging app. Upper and Lower case.

Then you should delete the next Plugin -
    <!--standard others plugin-->
    entirely
  17. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

The plugin used to show all message counts on one line will always go to the messaging app. There is another plugin that can be added to the homescreen that will only show voicemail counts and when it is selected, it dials your voicemail.

The reason I didn't add the seperate voicemail plugin is that it ends up being redundant and wasting screen real estate. If you have voicemails, you can hold down the "1" key, your voicemail speed dial, and go straight to voicemail.
  18. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Wohoo! I finally got everything to work! I downlaoded Facade and SDMahan's facade home screen and everything is looking (and working) fantastic!

One potentially dufus question though. What do SMS and MMS stand for? Is one of them text messages? Sorry for the dumb questions- this silly "smartphone" makes me feel so computer illiterate!
  19. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

SMS = Short Message Service = Text
    MMS = Multimedia Messaging Service = Pictures/Audio

Glad you got the home screen(s) to work. Once you get the hang of the plugins and the XML, you can mix and match features of home screens that you like.
  20. beaseac

beaseac New Member

Gadget,

I tried using ActiveSync and POP3.charter.net as you had described above but neither showed up on my screen... Are you using something similar on your Q?