home page "email" spot

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by jmaynard1986, Feb 25, 2008.

1. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

I was curious what that last line is for...the "other mail"?
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

wild guess... for the other mail ? :}
  3. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ok..fine! It goes SMS, ActiveSync (now unread mail), then other mail. Just thinkin at least one of the last two would pick up some mail!! I'm Verizon free so I don't think I can load up this HS and see. See? :wink:
  4. jefffree

jefffree New Member

Editing a Home Screen .xml File

5. Giddaltti

Giddaltti New Member

I'm also a Newbie here, Don't give up, part of the fun is messing with the phone, reading up and down this forum is a must. This site is very helpful but your gonna have to do lots of reading (a bit of paying your dues..:laugh2:) to edit your phone. I'm sure these guys here get tired of answering the same questions over and over. So, I've skimmed your thread, but let's see if this helps: Have you unlocked your phon? That is to say open the register?

Before you can edit your xml you need a registry editor. But first I recommend you know how to reset your phone in the event you mess up your apps.. making a copy of your reg. is fine. But if you lose apps and can't get into your phone back ups don't help. I don't know all the Q lingo yet but work with me and you'll understand. To reset your phone from within your phone menu it tough if you lose apps.

so to reset to a out of the box condition if things go terribly wrong press
    and hold the silver pad while pressing the power button, don't let go the silver pad till the screen reads master reset or something to that effect.

Sprite is a good back up tool..$29 - save having to undo most changes since a back up is saved in your card (you do have a micro card right)

here are some very helpfull sites..and if you already know this stuff cool if not welcom..and enjoy exploring the possibilities of this phone.

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/moto-q-9c/official-q9c-hack-thread-14410.html

http://www.resco.net/smartphone/explorer/downloads.asp

http://wiki.everythingq.com/page/Di...creen for a non-Outlook email account?t=anon

I hope I'm not off the subject here, but this is how I got mine to read my yahoo mail. After several resets. The best thing is that you find a screen that you like which already has the proper xml. Ofcourse the screens are really sweet and can be a bit addictive, I'm working on my first screen and hope to share it soon.
    Hope this helps!
  6. Geekster

Geekster New Member

* Don't save it as a "text file". The phone is looking for a .xml file. Open your original.xml file and make your changes and save as yournameofHS.xml. Then you can move it back into the home folder.
  7. nicholsj1956

nicholsj1956 New Member

I use outlook and alltel.net email. My homescreen show "email" "SMS" "MMS" and "Vmail"...i could live without the vmail link. When i go to email, it takes me to the last account i was using. Is there a way to edit the xml file to show my outlook, alltel, sms, and mms on the homescreen?
  8. nicholsj1956

nicholsj1956 New Member

Well i figured it out... now it shows outlook, alltel, sms, and mms. I copied the format of the other accounts it looks like this

<label>
    <text lang="0x0409">Alltel <unreadMsgs hidezero="true" name="Alltel" /></text>
    <text lang="0x0C0A">Alltel <unreadMsgs hidezero="true" name="Alltel" /></text>
    </label>

The hidezero makes alltel not visable unless there are unread msgs...but when i select alltel and i click it, nothing happens. The others all take you to the corresponding accouts...
  9. gorgarath

gorgarath New Member

Since when do I need to edit my registry to edit a simple xml file? Hehe, I know you're new, but I couldn't restrain myself from this one as I got a good chuckle out of it. You can actually edit/create the xml for homescreens without even having a Q. Though why you would and how you would test them is beyond me. But then again, I've not gotten into any HS modifications until after I've done all my registry edits either. Resco's always the first thing I load back on my phone. Followed by Sprite. Even though all I wanted was a Pepsi. Just one Pepsi.
  10. Giddaltti

Giddaltti New Member

Your correct G! The reg. editor (I'm also using Resco) is not needed to edit XML files. But Resco does allow you to unlock the phone first! Afterwards you can edit your phone XML Files. That's how I removed the line that read "Email" since I don't use outlook. It really bugged the heck out of me. Ofcourse, I then found that HS Mods is really the best way to do it!
  11. gorgarath

gorgarath New Member

Odd, I didn't need to do anything to my phone to edit the xml files. Of course, I'm editing them on the PC and copying them back with a new name so that I still have the original. Perhaps that's the difference?