Hiding Contacts/SMS - Q Black Book?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by EchoBinary, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Hiding Phone Data

I was just using SMS as one example. I suspect that any business or government entity that allows you to store sensitive data on your phone would also have prohibitions on letting other people use the phone. If you're violating those prohibitions, you're putting your job (and maybe your country) on the line.

Yes, I'm sure we could come up with one. So, instead of demurring further, what did you want this capability for? :wink:

Not at all. Your employer has a legal right to check your E-mail (at least in most states). Your phone isn't comparable to a work PC.

Yes, people may leave unlocked phones around their children, but again, if you can't remember to lock the phone, what makes you think you'll activate the "embarrassment" mode? Locking the Q is almost trivially simple, and you can also set the phone to automatically lock after an idle period of time in case you forget to lock it yourself.

Steve
  2. EchoBinary

EchoBinary New Member

Clearly you are not the target audience.

I am a name on an internet forum to you. You don't know a thing about me. I am very self-aware (for better and for worse). However this kind of statement makes me wonder why you bothered to say it at all, and makes me believe that it is you instead who should go read the co-dep link and hold a mirror or self evaluation on yourself. You can do it. You don't even need to tell anyone about it. Just keep it to yourself. No one has to know you looked at a self-help site :)

I won't bother replying to that kind of thing further - i had a serious question and don't want/need to get into a flame war based on imagined motivations.
  3. EchoBinary

EchoBinary New Member

I suspect that if your statement were true we wouldn't hear in the news about how a govt. hard drive was stolen or a smart card with sensitive info was lost. or credit card numbers given out on lost laptops...
    http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1294
    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure: /...ency-misplaces-hard-drive-with-employee-data/
    http://tech.netscape.com/story/2006/10/13/govt-reports-788-cases-of-lost-data/
    ..i could go on... do some Goggling, i think you get the point.

I have my uses. As would anyone who is within the target audience.
    Not that it is any of your business - but I own my own Verizon work phone and it has personal and business information on it. And I am in a situation where I dont want to be a) bothered with sorting through business contacts and SMS at home, and personal stuff at work. Call me lazy. *shrug* I can also think of situations where as a contractor I can lose business if I am found to be working for competitors. And further - in the spirit of client relations I have been in a situation where I had to loan my phone to a boss/client because they left theirs somewhere. That is called positive face-time. I am not going to say no, if I don't have to. This application would further that endeavor.

Again - I agree - but that doesn't mean that it isn't used as such.

Beats me. Thats a good question. Why do people forget to close the blinds before changing/having sex/going to bed? Perhaps they shouldn't own a house. But at least it came with blinds - whether or not the owners use them.
  4. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

[/QUOTE]
    I too, am a name in a forum. You had no problem with stating the above quote just when the tables are turned. Interesting!!
    And I thought that the target audience was a q user, which I am, maybe in looking in the mirror I missed something.:gasp:
  5. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

The Human Element

I don't need to Google, because I know about those.

The point is that the human element screwed up in all of those, I believe. And, even with your "hiding" software, the human element could still screw up by not running the software.

It's my business because finding out why you need this can help me to suggest other possibilities.

For example, to avoid being bothered by personal contacts at work (and vice versa), you could categorize your contacts into Business and Personal categories, and then filter the contacts appropriately. The filters don't seem to stick, but maybe that's better than having to look through them all.

I don't know of a way to do that with the SMS account or Call History though. Of course, why would somebody be snooping through there anyway?

Yes, if you have to loan your phone to somebody, and don't watch them use it, they might be able to see things they shouldn't. So offer to dial the phone for them and watch them use it. :wink:

Again, that's not to say that the application isn't useful. I'm just offering work-arounds until such an application exists. When you write it, please post back so we can check it out.

Steve
  6. EchoBinary

EchoBinary New Member

To what tables are you referring? I initially asked a question. Got many replies, and judgment from some posters, including yourself. The target audience is Q users who are in need of or have knowledge of such an application. You have identified yourself as a Q user. You have also said that you do not need such an application. Thus removing yourself from the target audience.

As for the judgment - I see no need to reply further. I posted the link to be helpful not insulting. Further - my attempt at helpfulness was as vaguely directed as your judgment was. So if you assumed it was directed at you then perhaps you should evaluate your motivations in this thread in the first place. It seemed to me a very co-dep thing to say. And I responded in kind. Who else would take the time we have now devoted to this issue on a completely unrelated thread? Prove me wrong?

As for the assumptions made about me and why I have need for such a thing, I believe i clarified up above.

Have a nice day!
  7. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Thanks, I fully intend to! Same to you!
  8. sulster

sulster Active Member

I was mostly trying to be funny in my one post.
  9. ranchosteve

ranchosteve New Member

10. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

great find!!
    do you have a link?
  11. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Skb Software

I added Skb Software to my links page a few days ago and didn't see that product. In fact, Skb's product page doesn't list the Mobile Safety Suite, so I'd be interested in a link, too.

However, given the screen shots, I think it's a Pocket PC program, not a Smartphone program, and probably won't work on the Q.

Steve
  12. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Gretting ready to recomend this same program myself. I have the Data manager and it works. Trust me! I have some videos that my girfriend would leave me for in my phone.:2cool:
  13. n99hockey

14. muscles007

muscles007 New Member

steve, you mentioned callsmsblock, is there a link for it? i tried finding it and was told i'd need to pay an adult site. there must somewhere else i can download it? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
  15. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Call SMS Blocker

A simple Google on callsmsblocker found a forum discussing it (with a link, too; it was broken, but a little work fixed it). Check out Call SMS Blocker.

Steve

P.S. There are two Steves (at least) participating in this thread. I wondered why I couldn't remember having mentioned this program. :wink:
  16. ranchosteve

ranchosteve New Member

There is also magicall, which is almost the same as call sms blocker. But I think it might be better.
    MagiCall

I bought call sms blocker, I am going to try the demo of magicall.The only thing about call sms blocker, is that i find the menus and filters kinda confusing, but when it works it works well.
  17. muscles007

muscles007 New Member

thank you i got the people @ magiCall to give me another trial run. but now it seems i can't access my contact list. if its not one thing its another.
  18. IDontKnowOfficer?

IDontKnowOfficer? New Member

19. n99hockey

hey i was surfing around www.handango.com and came across those programs that ranchosteve & Shaun0207 were talking about from SKB
    turns out there is a whole slew of Smartphone apps that they have that are NOT listed on there site!
    Check out the Handango.com software link to check it out
    (when i say slew i mean all the PPC apps they have they have ones for smartphones too):laugh2:
  20. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Not Surprising

I wondered if it was on Handango or Smartphone.net. It's not surprising that their Web doesn't list them as their Web site kind of sucks (it doesn't work properly in Firefox, for example).

I also like Handango's promotion:

I think you're actually spending a lot more than you need to because the Safety Suite includes eWallet. :gasp:

Steve