Hiding Contacts/SMS - Q Black Book?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by EchoBinary, Aug 10, 2007.

1. EchoBinary

EchoBinary New Member

Hiding Contacts/SMS - Q Black Book?

Hello! I am a new Q owner, and I am wondering if there is an application out there that will hide:
    contacts
    call history
    sms history

- based on a white/black list that can be locked down or unlocked?

Thanks!

:Echo

(b.t.w. - loving my phone!)
  2. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Hiding Contacts

Not that I've heard of. You might be able to password-protect the applications themselves, but not the individual records.

Are you trying to hide something from your wife/girlfriend? :laugh2:

Steve
  3. ranchosteve

ranchosteve New Member

I am also looking for something like this.
  4. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

Face it, there is money to be made for a program that would allow you to inobtrusively lockdown your phone so you could hand it off to your girlfriend for an afternoon without fear of an imminent breakup during which your Q would be inevitably demolished.

When I say "inobtrusive" I mean that it needs to run stealthily, like a desktop keylogger program so that it doesn't scream "I AM HIDING SOMETHING!". It just needs to sit there, in the background, and divert incoming calls and text messages from specific numbers into a holding pen for later retrieval - all the while allowing calls, text messages, etc from "allowed" numbers.

It shouldn't be that hard...really.
  5. ranchosteve

ranchosteve New Member

When I had a treo 650, it had an opione built in to hide numbers in contacts.

I think mabey photo contacts pro might do this, tho.

This with a call filter app, are must have tools for a player.:wink:
  6. Marvelous Merv

Player 1.0 would be simple. You just add in phone numbers you want cloaked, then they would never appear in your call log (I mean, who REALLY cares if they ever show up in your call log) and - when activated - divert all calls, voicemail notifications, text and picture messages to an archive you could only call up from a button sequence. How hard could that be?
  7. ranchosteve

ranchosteve New Member

That's what im talking about.

Magicall and/or callsmsblocker can talk care of the unwanted call problem, But the other half remains.

I find myself having to delete number off my q so no one goes trough my phone and make problem's.

I was looking at photo contacts pro, and it also offers call filtering, I am going to try the demo.
  8. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Hard?

You don't think so? There were three requirements specified by the original poster (and I'm adding two more):
    1. Hide specific contacts.
    2. Hide SMS messages (and MMS presumably -- you don't want your girlfriend seeing the other girlfriend's nude picture she sent :laugh2:) from certain people in the Messaging program.
    3. Hide calls from certain people in the Call History program.
    4. Block specified incoming calls (for the same reason you'd hide them in the Call History).
    5. Receive unobtrusively (or block) SMS (and MMS again) messages from certain people (for the same reason you'd hide them in Messaging).
    The first task would require either a new Contacts program (because I don't believe Contacts has a "private" field) or the ability to remove contacts to a hidden database and restore them back when done.

The problem with the first solution is that you'd have to completely hide the existing Contacts program (which would display an unfiltered view), but even if you did, any knowledgeable user could run Contacts from the \Windows folder.

The problem with the second solution would be if you forgot to restore the data and synced it, those records would be deleted in Outlook. Restoring them on the device later would recover them, but it could cause confusion in the meantime.

The second and third tasks would be similar (without the ActiveSync issues). Maybe there's a way to hide the Text Messages folder completely, but that could be suspicious, too.

I think software for the fourth task already exists. You can reject calls from certain numbers, but it requires set up, and I don't know if there's a way to quickly enable/disable the blocking.

The fifth task could be similar to the fourth.

Even with all that, you'd have to wrap all of those tasks up in a neat shell that could be run quickly. Does that really sound easy?

It's probably best to name "unsafe" contacts with something innocuous, delete any unsafe texts from the Text Messages folder and delete any unsafe calls from the Call History program (why would you keep those anyway?).

You'd still need the blocking software, of course.

Steve
  9. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Making Problems

Don't you really mean "so nobody discovers the problems I'm creating for myself"? :laugh2:

Steve
  10. ranchosteve

ranchosteve New Member

lol, Yea.

I have had a couple of bad experience's being caught up by my phone. But it's all part of the game.
  11. Marvelous Merv

There once was a time, a few short years ago, when the notion of handing your cell phone off to someone else for an afternoon was no big deal. Now a few short minutes with a Q in the wrong hands could lead to break up, divorce, years of therapy...

One of the things I really liked about the Q were the pre-built profiles that basically allow the phone to be shut down without turning it off (Silent mode). One of the other issues with the Q, or with a Treo or any candybar style phone is that if you leave your SMS screen open, and you get an incoming text message, and the phone is sitting right there on the kitchen counter...it could be very damaging, as all someone needs to do is glance down to see what has popped up...
  12. sulster

sulster Active Member

The wife in me can't surpress a shudder at the thought of this.:2cool:
  13. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Yeah, these guys are putting an awful lot of thought into hiding something they shouldn't be doing in the first place. Let's hope those same wives and/or girlfriends don't know anything about this site. You might want to clear up your history on the pc--wouldn't want them stumbling onto this interesting thread now would you!!

Unbelievable!
  14. EchoBinary

EchoBinary New Member

So - I'm curious. Is it that sex and unfaithfulness to a relationship is the only reason folks can think of to want to hide SMS and call history? Let's also not forget that Women cheat just as much as Men do. So assuming that it is only the wives/girlfriends who will be hurt is a wrong assumption.

Moving on.. what about business applications, and military applications. Someone with top secret clearance. Living in Wash DC there are tons of ppl who have Q's Bleckberries, and Treos who have a phone they'd have to hide business contacts from others. Or someone who is moonlighting, and doesn't want their boss to know. There are any number of situations that might be unexpected and cause unpleasantness when the phone is nosed about in. Thats just life. Its not all about sex. That said - it often times is ;) But not always.

Also - lets say you have children - and a relationship with someone who you love very much. and you two send each other naughty pictures. The children are nosy enough to grab the phone and check things out. Well - do the math.

The point is that there are any number of reasons and situations to hide information. Not all of them are bad.

Is there a forum for co-dependents somewhere close? ;)
    http://www.codependents.org/patterns.php
  15. blademonkey

blademonkey New Member

Yea but sex sells, and obviously people buy into the image of what they want/don't have.
  16. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Hiding Information

Most businesses -- and certainly the military -- would require better security. I doubt the military would be using text messaging for Classified data.

And why would you have to hide business contacts from people? If they're family, you can probably trust them; if they're not family, just say you can't loan them the phone.

So you don't give your boss the phone. If it's a company phone, then using it for moonlighting is probably doing something wrong anyway.

Every phone that I'm aware of can be locked with a PIN or password. If you leave your unlocked phone unattended, that's pretty foolish.

And, if you can't be bothered to lock the phone, what makes you think you'd remember to put the phone in "embarrassment" mode?

Yes, there's probably a market for something like this, but most cases brought up so far can be addressed by existing means, I think.

Steve
  17. EchoBinary

EchoBinary New Member

SMS was only one aspect of my original question. Further - you are responding to someone who thinks that "Military Intelligence" is an oxymoron - so - those doubts are taken with a grain of salt.

There are all types of business situations. And there are all types of situations where careful diplomacy is required. I am not one to speak for all of them. But anyone with half an imagination could come up with a use case in less than a day. Most likely those types of situations are 10 pay grades above mine, I'd imagine.

I agree - but that doesn't mean that ppl dont do that. How many people use work email for private messages? Case in point.

What about cases where it is situationally impossible to loan an unlocked phone to someone. I realize the obvious reply is "buck up and face facts and life" but that is easier said than done in some situations, and near impossible in others.

I agree - thats why i figured id ask here :)
  18. EchoBinary

EchoBinary New Member

OK - I can and probably will Google search this myself after work when I have time. But does anyone have links or info re: WM 5/6 emulators and development? I will look into writing this myself.
  19. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Look in the Helpful Developer thread. I posted links there to several development resources.

Steve
  20. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Instead of finding a forum for co-dependents perhaps a mirror would suffice and you can ask yourself what are you trying so hard to deny?