Hi new and lots of questions !

Discussion in 'Mac and Motorola Q' started by canes185, Aug 6, 2007.

1. canes185

canes185 New Member

Hi new and lots of questions !

First of all thanks to anyone who answers or helps me out in any way. I was recently given a q as a gift and im already feeling overwhelmed with all the stuff im reading on this site. First of I have a mac :smile: and so far have had a fine enough time using bluetooth to send pics and sound clips. My question is for videos how would the files have to be formated for play on my Q. Also why use "missing link" if bluetooth works fine enough? As for mini sd card what do you guys use them for and how do i go about saving files such as wav or mp3 to be used as ringtones, when i have the sd card does the Q automaticlly find and read the card?
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

some prefer using Missing Link (or Active Sync) because it also charges the Q while connected. if you download and install TCPMP you can use almost all formats (some do need an extra codec) the mini sd card can be used for a lot, mp3's, extra storage and you can install programs on it..
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

most video formats work on the Q with WMP and if not you can try TCPMP which you can DL from my apps page at:
    www.scottschrob.com/q/apps.htm

if it works for you and you can sync your data without it then dont use it...

you can get up to a 4gig card..but becareful with the 4gig card you need a speacial kind...which is listed in the 4gig thread.....but a 2gig should be just fine...
    if you put mp3s on there keep them in the root directory so you can use them as ringtones..meaning dont put the ones as ringtones in folders otherwise they wont show up to be used as tones...
    and yes the card should read when you put it in..make sure its all the way in and you hear a click sound

goodluck!
  4. canes185

canes185 New Member

Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it, as for the sd card I should be fine with just a 2gb, anything under is gonna be too little anymore kinda overkill. As for ringtones ive been saving them as wav files is there better quality as mp3 or take less space? What format do you use for ringers?
  5. n99hockey

i like to save them as mp3s...
  6. canes185

canes185 New Member

i just got my memory card and every time i put a mp3 file on it and try and open it it keeps telling me its corrupt or not playable any suggestions
  7. canes185

canes185 New Member

I fixed the issue, but now that i have the files on my memory card i dont know how to set them as ringtones.
  8. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Move them to either the root directory on your Storage card ie. not in any folder or put them in application data/sounds folder on your device.

Then either go to settings/sounds for your general settings or to an individual contact to assign ring tones either generally or to an individual respectively.

I would suggest cutting them down to 20 to 30 seconds. A lot of people use Audacity and I use MPTrim. Some just download them already trimed to size. Lots of threads regarding this subject.

The search feature above will give you a lot of info and caveats to any particular task. The more old threads you read the easier and more obvious the task will become.
  9. canes185

canes185 New Member

Thanks, and yes I have been using audacity had the program for a while. So what your say is that as long as they are not in a folder they should be shown when I scroll through the ringtones of individual contacts. I dont want to put it in my sounds setting folder to save memory. But they should be able to be used directly from the memory device.

EDIT:

I worked it out thanks for all your guys help!
  10. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Yes ...no directory and they shold show up.....although I keep mine on the device in applications/sounds as they all are fairly small and I don't have a large selection (I guess I need more special friends)

I have read that some people think they run faster from device memory but most report no difference.
  11. holdie1

holdie1 New Member

Installing Missing Sync

Hi there.

I've got my new Moto Q (my first smart phone) and I'm working on getting it set up with my Mac. I've successfully installed Missing Sync on my computer, but after uploading to the Q via Bluetooth, the Q's telling me that it can't run the installation, because there's no appropriate application to run it. Any advice?

Thanks.
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome holdie1.. what exactly did you copy to the Q and trying to run on it ?

.cab = installer for (amongst others) the Q (looks like a .zip but is not)
    .msi = Microsoft installer, should be run from a pc (sorry, msi is not Max installer :}
    .exe = more often then not an executable for the pc, sometimes also an executable on the Q
    .zip = file that need to be unzipped on the pc/Max, then 1) installed via the Q or 2) just copied to the Q (for example if it is a home screen)

hope this helps somewhat..
  13. holdie1

holdie1 New Member

hey there. thanks for the response.

well, it's none of the above. it's a .dmg extension which i've just read, isn't readable by PCs, so I'm trying to figure out how to convert it. if you've got any thoughts about that, i'd appreciate it. but i'm going to work to jigger it myself.

h.
  14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

my question is why would you want to copy a DMG (which as far as i know is a Mac disk image file) onto a Windows based device ?
  15. canes185

canes185 New Member

Hey loving my phone but for some reason when i put one of my ringtones as a text sound it doesnt stop playing when i open it, it keeps going till the end of the song anyway to change that?

o and how do you lock the key pad?
  16. n99hockey

you cant stop a text tone only a ring tone

best bet is to pick a short ring for text messages
  17. n99hockey

oh sorry...

you can lock the key pad by hitting
    home then space bar or hold down the home key and then click on key lock
  18. holdie1

holdie1 New Member

duhhh

so, i finally figured it out. i thought i had to install the missing sync on the phone as well. clearly, i didn't :2cool:

and i successfully completed my first sync.

thanks much.