Help with IMSMS ????

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by mexiken, Jan 23, 2008.

1. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Nada...they still don't have the Q version on the site and I haven't found anyone to forward me a copy. It looks like they had a couple of versions 727 and 730 that had variations issued for the Q but I haven't been able to get a copy and the ones ones on thier site leave @ between all characters.
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i don't wanna jump to conclusions but it appears to be less "great" then described by that one dude (forgot his name) too bad...
  3. DrQ

DrQ New Member

It appears in their forum to work fine for most phone but it seems like the developer got pissed off with Q'rs and said the hell with them. IMHO
  4. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

It works just fine on my Q9h. I don't know why it wouldn't work on earlier Q's. The only problem I ever had was the sound volume thing, but I posted that earlier in this thread.

I have however noticed it slows down a bit with the amount of texting I do, but the "clear current log" button takes care of that.

Even now, because of the convenience of having the persons ringtone set when they text you too, its the best program I've used. Its not perfect, but it is highly customizable, and I like that.

Maybe you should get a Q9h....:tounge:
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

well, there's the solution Fred... buy another phone :]
  6. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I have the Q9C and it is WM 6.0 and should run the same as yours. Are you saying you are running the version that is on the developers website, 734?
    He had been putting another version for the Q's.
    If you could send your CAB to FredDrQ@aol.com I would love to try it. I put out another thread requesting this version but never got a response.
    TIA
  7. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yes, I am running 1.0 734. I will gladly send you the cab file. Hopefully it works out for you.
  8. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Thanks I'll test it and hope! If not i guess I have to switch to ATT. lol
  9. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I tried using Xtreme Text 1.1, and it still doesn't show up my contact's pics. I'm bummed out.

Either way, I don't get the distinct SMS tones with it, and in the end, I'd rather have the ring then the picture, but I wish I could do both !!!!

The only way to do that I guess is to get Ringo and Xtreme Text. But then I'd have to pay for two seperate programs. I wish there was a program to do both. Ah well, guess I'll have to live with IMSMS for now.
  10. jknight4200

jknight4200 New Member

Oist is free and it allows you to set individual sms tones. (be sure to get both programs from oldsap...you can download it from my Q apps below).

Are you only using the default contacts for your Q? Not Photo Contacts Pro or anything like that? Make sure that you have the picture id associated with the contact in the default contacts program that came with the Q in order for the pic to show up in Extreme Text.

Hope this helps.
  11. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Oist looks cool and I'm really glad its free, however one glaring thing popped up. It requires wav files. Bummer. Too much trouble to convert them all to WAV, when I already have a program that does it with mp3's.

I could see me maybe using a combo of Oist and Xtreme Text if it worked right on my Q9h, but even then it would be to satisfy my voracious need to have an app do it all. Until then, I'll stick with the SMS tones and the threaded chat rolled into one. Its not perfect, but it has the most important features to me.

And yes, adding them through Outlook or on my phone makes no difference. They still don't pop up =( Really saddens me.
  12. jmwatts

jmwatts New Member

How do I make IMSMS (or any SMS app for that matter) my default app that handles SMS? I installed IMSMS but I am still receiving SMS via the built-in app.
  13. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Go into menu>settings>preferences. Then scroll down to "SMS Notify Other Applications" and uncheck it.

Save the settings. Exit the program. And then let someone text you. Should now be working correctly.
  14. jmwatts

jmwatts New Member

Actually that was already unchecked. I have noticed that when I send from IMSMS, if they write me back immediately it will appear in IMSMS. If they write me back the next day, it appears in the default app, and *not* in IMSMS. Do I need to keep IMSMS running constantly or something?
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Ah, thats another couple of settings. Make sure "Auto Display when messages arrive" is checked and "Auto start on message received" is checked as well.

If these don't work, restart your phone. It may take a couple of times. Make sure to save the settings before you exit. On one of my older Q9h units, I remember that when I first installed this program, after I found that little speaker volume hack and did it, the phone would notify me in both places. I believe restarting the phone a couple of times fixed it.

But once that is done, even if you exit, when you receive a message, it will automatically boot up and display it, bypassing the text program altogether. Works fine now on my unit.
  16. jmwatts

jmwatts New Member

Guess I'm getting a little closer, maybe I'm still a few reboots away :) thanks for your help.
  17. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yeah, I don't know if the program is conflicting with the SMS built-in or the program isn't just saving the files correctly. You know, ever since I had that problem, I never had it again.

However, I have a new problem. And its bumming me out. I'm about to switch to OIST and use the built-in SMS for now.

The program isn't ALWAYS playing ringtones. And its just for certain people if I'm not mistaken. I've tried changing the ringtone, deleting the person off the list, reinstalling the prog. Nothing works. Not good....

Worst part. I think its only for my g/f. For some reason, her ringtone just won't play.
  18. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I must have overlooked something, because now it works just fine. I changed her ringtone to something I KNEW worked before, and sure enough, it worked for her. I took her off my friends list, and let her text me, and it worked fine.

Don't know if its the proggy acting up or me. Probably me being crazy :gasp: