Help with IMSMS ????

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by mexiken, Jan 23, 2008.

1. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Help with IMSMS ????

Hey all. Just a quick question:

For those of us who have tried IMSMS, have you noticed that the text volume level isn't as loud as the regular volume ???? I have the sound all the way up on the "alerts audio level", but its just not as loud as it normally rings or texts. Has anyone found a way around this ???? Is it a setting in the sound profiles or something, a registry hack, anything ????

Other than that, the program is EXCELLENT and by FAR the best SMS threader I've found, feature wise. And I've tried them all. Like I said, I do about 10-15K messages a month, so I need something that does what it actually says and doesn't slow my phone down. This is the only one that does. And it rings the individual contact ringtone when you get a message too, just like the Motorola's do !!!! YAY !!!!
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

3. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I read that thread through, and didn't find the answer, thus I started my own thread =)

I also emailed the developer, who is on vacation at this time (he stated so in his official support thread on another forum), or else he generally responds within 10 minutes, which is quite amazing given he doesn't charge for the program, nor does he even take donations. He just sees a need, and wants to help. I came here hoping to find someone who maybe already asked him about this and got a solution, or maybe I missed a thread/post about it.

I also read there, and now read here, about your very subtle discouraging of his program. Since you're not politically correct, I won't be either, moderator or not.

All those posts about his program not running were a couple of months old (Nov and Dec). He updated the program almost WEEKLY, sometimes DAILY, not monthly like some others I have tried. His page has the link to the official forum where he asked people from the VERY beginning to post in that forum (that was the original request when he started the thread in this forum), so he could maintain all comments in one forum. People here started posting on the thread here anyway, instead of just granting his request. And I read his official support forum, 31 pages of it, and he maintained that and this one, still always answering within 20 minutes.

Look, lets cut the BS. I get it. I get the loyalty, the business model side of it, the personal moral duty you are choosing to take (which I commend you for), I get it. But don't knock something that you haven't tried, subtle or not. Many people here look up to you, and with good reason, you are (almost, now) always very helpful, passionate about helping people, and quick to respond. You were the first to respond to this thread =)

I can tell you, I've tried both, and even with this slight imperfection of the audio, which is not a bug, just a difference, it STILL knocks the socks off ANYTHING I've ever tried (I've tried about 6 different SMS threaders), free or not. At least this program does that. Not only that, but the support is unrivaled of any of the SMS programs, rivaled only probably by Navizon, who has a dedicated forum mod who relays problems to the developers. Shes not one and the same. I've tried asking for support from these other programs, I've posted threads in their own forums, I've sent emails directly to the head, and never got so much as an acknowledgement my email was received. I'm not asking anyone to hold my hand, but if you're asking for financial compensation, at least some sort of response to know my money was well spent would be appreciated.

All I'm saying is, (and thank you for providing the thread, I have been known to miss a thread or two before and post things, and for that I have and do apologize, and which is why I searched for it meticulously this time) there is no need to discourage someone is trying, subtle or not. He has video tutorials, FAQ's that are general and also very technical for those problems people mentioned in those old threads. He has the official support thread. In the end, people will decide what they would like to use.

One more thing. Could you clarify what you meant when you said you didn't want to mess up your database as a reason to why you won't try it ???? I assume you own the Q so maybe I'm a bit confused on how it interacts with the Q as opposed to the Q9h. I read over all but couldn't find anything about it messing up databases or anything like that. I'm confused =(

Sorry for the breathiness. I'm not trying to start trouble or anything. I consider myself a rather amateur programmer but I fully understand the scope of a project like this. Not just making it work on Q's, but on all Windows Mobile devices....Credit is not being given where credit is due, even if just for effort.
  4. DrQ

DrQ New Member

A little wordy but worth being written. I was not aware of this program till this new thread emerged. Amazing with all I read here, how much I miss. Seems like something I would like to try out when I get my WM 6.0 device. I can't justify a paid version as I don't text more than 10 or 15 a month (not thousands).

All that being said, I don't think you should be hard on RB. He tries to answer (unnecessarily sometimes) as many post as he can. I believe his intentions are good even though his personal preferences are obvious and come out in his posts and being quick to comment he relys on his memory. In this case old posts in a quickly changing environment.

RB: I do agree that "not too many happy campers" could discourage people from looking further.

Again I'm glad this post popped up as it got me to do a little searching and reading. (where have I heard that before) Keep contributing guys.
  5. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I don't mean to be hard on anybody. I did and do commend him for being so helpful. I have no problems with any of the mods here, they've been nothing but cordial.

I figured anyone who takes the attitude of, "ok, well you may or may not know my policy on political correctness.. i don't do it, so if you are offended, not really my problem :}" would understand where I'm coming from. If not, I guess thats too bad I suppose.
  6. mexiken

mexiken New Member

In any case, I have found out a bit playing around with it.

For the Q9h, other than changing the volume in the app, the volume when you hold that key on the side, which is for in call volume, changes the volume of the sms ring. Nothing in the profile settings changes it. I went through them all.

I used to change that volume key on the side when I wanted to make the ringer louder or softer. Works for that, but it doesn't change the profile setting, at least not permanently. Raising or lowering it in the profile settings has no effect on the app. As in, I changed the ringer setting in profile setting to one, and the black bar for the side volume didn't change. Still all the way up, and still had the same volume for a SMS. It must really be the in call volume. Weird how it works on the ringer though.

Anyway, thats what I found. Hope this helps anyone. Let me know if you're confused, I know its hard to explain.
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

wow.. you sure talk/type a lot, cutting the bs from the get go (i don't do political correctness as you already know :}

i did/do not see my comment as knocking the program.. i would like to know the names of all 6 threaders you tried, i know incl. this one of two others (Txtman and eXtreme Text) yes, i admit i never tried the program because 1. i was already (beta) testing/using XT 2. a few well knowledgeable members were trying it, so my opinion was based on their experiences. members may look up to me, i hope and regularly suggest they try software and i am not convinced members here base their software use on what i say/find. november/december posts may look old to you, i did not see the developer coming back asking for more testing and/or listening to opinions/experiences of members, as for example Brian/Birdsoft did/does do. re. the datebase Brian (again) spoke about possible database corruption while he was developing XT, so i brought it up. i am not going to argue about who gives better support nor was this post meant as a defense for what i say/do..

lastly, no hard feelings...
  8. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I've used Textr, Txtman, GroupSMS (dont think it ended up doing threaded in the end, though they said it did), PocketCM, Extreme Text, and now, IMSMS.

Makes 6 no ????

And of course not. No worries.
  9. mexiken

mexiken New Member

By the way, I have found the hack for those who WOULD like to increase the sound !!!!

Apparently the engine in this app uses the ring preview driver of the phone, so you need to modify that. Look here for it:

HK_C_U\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\RingPreview

Change the InitVol to 5 for max volume, 1 for lowest. I have it at 5 and can't be happier =)

Restart phone. Done and done.

Enjoy !!!!
  10. gqmoto

gqmoto Member

Thanks That also solved my problem with Photo Contacts Pro
    Gary
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i can still learn on a daily bases... like said, i knew of 3. the one letter issue is resolved ? (from what i remember that was the -obviously- most annoying one making it un-usable at that time)

hakuna matata :}
  12. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Glad I could be of help Gary =)
  13. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yes sir. That issue got fixed already.

Seems to have been eliminated from all subsequent versions. The most recent version works bug free on my Q9h.
  14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

that's cool... that was the issue that made it impossible to use at the time. just curious, any reason why the developer doesn't visit us anymore ?
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I haven't checked his official thread of support lately, so I don't know if hes back yet. He started a thread on here, asking people to visit the other thread and post any concerns there, citing the fact that he just didn't have time to check them both.

Of course, I don't speak to him personally, so I wouldn't know. I'm just going off what I have read.
  16. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

not sure if you are just looking for SMS threading program, if so, then I have been using Birdsoft's xtreme Text application and it works very well for me.
  17. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

besides from the fact that this is all over the forums already :} some folks rather not pay for software..
  18. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yeah I've tried that. Doesn't work too well for me:

1: Its pretty slow switching the app to the foreground when you receive a message. I have the Q9h, it has more RAM and ROM memory than most Smartphones, this shouldn't be happening. And I wasn't running any other apps in the background.

2. It says it pops up photos next to the person's name, but it only did for like one or two people. I couldn't figure out why it doesn't read the photos I have attached to people. Very odd. I emailed support about it and never heard anything back.

3. In the earlier versions I tried, you would actually have to scroll down to the person's name when you received a text, so if Vanessa texted you, you'd have quite a bit of scrolling to do. Quite cumbersome. They have since fixed that, and it seems to work well.

4. The messaging system had a kind of time bug. My 3G and GSM towers are not synchronized, time wise. One is about 30-45 secs ahead of the other. So if I got a message on one tower, it might be a minute ahead. This would cause the messages to NOT appear in the order they were received or sent. Also, other networks time's are off slightly, further complicating the problem. Quite annoying. The whole point of a SMS threader is to be able to read them like a convo. The time issue really made a mess of it. Again, I emailed support with this concern, explaining in detail what I thought was causing it, how it could be fixed, and no response, no acknowledgement of the problem, nothing.

IMSMS does virtually everything Xtreme Text does and THEN some. The only thing it doesn't do is the picture thing, but neither did Xtreme Text properly on the Q9h. Other than that, its just much more customizable as far as color schemes and general looks, it gives custom ringtones for texts from people, so I know whos texting me just by the ring. It archives logs, backs em up, does all kinds of neat stuff I haven't even bothered to play around with. All in all I'm quite satisfied with it. All the threaded SMS programs that are commercially available ought to take a cue from this developer. Its got more features than any other program, and its free. Plus it works PERFECTLY on my Q9h, all the features it advertises, it does. Can't be more happy about it.
  19. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

no issues on my end
    running a Q1 on vzw....

have several photos on contacts...
    perhaps you should have tried the newer versions...or signed up for his forum and asked the question

this is correct...so a non issue

this is not an extreme text issue...this is a carrier issue
    if your towers are off then how can the program correct it?
    extreme text uses the default text message app to pull the messages...so if your devices gets them late then the program will

all things that are possible for future releases...

sometimes better to get the program working right off the bat than have it crap out and wait months for it to 'function'

but if your happy then fine
  20. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

One thing I like about xtremetext over others including the Palm own threading messaging application, is that it make use of the existing text messaging database. So I can always switch back to poutlook to read the message, or more importantly, applications that make use of standard texting database (e.g. Jeyo) will not break as a result.

And it has been working fine for me, in the sense that it has small footprint, it doesn't require any .NET installation, (maybe because WM6 already has it) and the only gripe I have is that I have to scroll the contact list whenever I add new receipient, which is not an issue as I can use poutlook to create new SMS, and xtremetext to view conversation.

Does IMSMS do that as well? (sorry for the OT here)