Help uploading music, please!

Discussion in 'Windows PC and Moto Q' started by GOclimb, Sep 28, 2007.

1. GOclimb

GOclimb New Member

Help uploading music, please!

Hi folks,

Just got a Q9m, and have managed to do everything else but set up my music. I thought I knew how to do this, too, but it doesn't seem to be working right. I need help!

So here's what I did. With the phone plugged into my PC, I copied five folders from my itunes folder (on my PC) onto the memory card on the q9m. Each folder is named for the artist, and each folder contains a subfolder for each album, and then the MP4s in that subfolder.

None of it showed up in any of the music applications or libraries, so I went and clicked on the library icon in the home screen, and selected <update library>.

Here's what that did:

From the home screen library - Music, I now see one album named "unknown" with 17 songs on it. Don't know where this comes from. Seems to be a mix of two different albums I uploaded.

From the Start page - Windows Media - Library - My Music, I see no songs at all.

From the Start page - Media Center - Audio - Files Available, I see no songs.

And just to be clear, on the Q, I can browse through file manager to the SD card, and all the music is there, in the right albums. I can even click on any of the songs, and it opens Windows Media and starts playing the song.

What did I do wrong? Help!

And one other question: From the media home screen, how do I stop a song once I've started it? The only options I see are pause, go back, or go forward.

Thanks so much!

GO
  2. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

I've only done only a couple CDs myself, but learned that by using the PC's Media Player and syncing with the Q, it groups the Artist's music in the Qs Playlist. It also looks like you said...a whole bunch of songs from all the CDs I synced in my Music folder, mixed up. I thought heck..dont need the music in both folders, deleted Music Folder, and the Playlist couldn,t find the music. Probably a better way, but at least now in Playlist I see Artist Titles.

As far as stopping the song, menu >> stop
  3. GOclimb

GOclimb New Member

Sorry, not following all that. Basically, you're saying, don't manually copy and paste, but instead synch through Media Player? Okay, I can try that.

Uh... I don't see a menu. This is the Media Home page. It looks like:

[​IMG]

Where's the menu?

GO
  4. Q9MNewb

Q9MNewb New Member

play pause from multimedia menu

So what you just posted as the pic is the multimedia home page. The Menu is the circle. The icons in the circle are the controls, adn the 2nd one from the top on the left side allows you to pause/play. Scrolling with the thumb wheel to it and clicking in should do it. (same thing with fwd, reverse, etc.)

BTW, this is from reading the manual... I haven't even gotten my q9m (should arrive tomorrow), but have dled the manual... page 24 starts the multimedia display basics. Hope that helps!

Oh yeah... I don't think there's a stop option... don't see it in the manual.
  5. SPJ

SPJ New Member

I'm also having trouble locating my music folder.
    when I search for the folder, I get no results, and I don't frankly know where to move my MP3 files to so my music player will recognize them.

The directory doesn't seem to exist. I'm pretty sure I haven't deleted anything, I've only had this thing for less than a week.
    Could someone please post where in the file system the Music folder ought to reside ?
    Thanks !
  6. GOclimb

GOclimb New Member

So far as I can tell, there is no music folder as such, you have to do the "update library" thing. But I'd certainly like to hear from someone out there who actually knows how you're supposed to load music to the Q and has done it successfully/regularly.

I have to admit I'm surprised - I posted to the forum a week ago, and still no answers. I thought this was something the q9m was supposed to be really good at - part of why I bought it.

GO
  7. GOclimb

GOclimb New Member

No offense, but anyone who actually *owns* a Q care to weigh in? I agree, I don't see the menu option referred to by TreeFrog. Anyone else know where it is?

GO
  8. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Sorry, didn't realize that was a Q9m question when I replied. :embarassed:
  9. Q9MNewb

Q9MNewb New Member

success

None taken. So I actually got mine today, a few hours ago, and after a few attempts have achieved partial success.
    I used the Windows Media Player 11 Sync option from my PC to move a few songs. At first it didn't work: even though I saw on the PC the progress indicating successful sync, it just didn't show up in the my music view of the q9m WMP library.
    Thats when I noticed that the PC's WMP11 showed 2 devices connected, one was the phone and the other was the storage card. When I chose the other device (the phone, not the card) and chose sync... it showed up in my library on the q9m and I was able to play it...

Not a full answer, and no good for the long run, but it might point you in the right direction, or at least allow you to play a few songs while you wait for a more experienced person to answer!

Ok, GOClimb, my apologies, I just reread your OP and noted that you were able to transfer and play files, and the problem you are having has to do with organizing, and having WMP see the files in the storage card as part of the library... that's pretty much where I'm at, too. There must be a setting in WMP that says look in SD card for library files, but I'm too tired to look into it more now.

Good luck, and i'll be looking for more answers....

try this post: http://www.everythingq.com/forum/software/storage-card-not-recognized-in-media-player-1765.html

if you go in WMP, menu - library - menu - library, you can choose between storage card and my device... that allowed me to play the stored songs on the card, but its kludgy, there's gotta be a better option.
  10. Q9MNewb

Q9MNewb New Member

stop in media home question...

I don't think its possible from the Media Home screen without hacking it.
    You can program a stop key in the Windows Media Player app however.

If that's something you're interested it, you can do this:
    WMP - Menu - options -buttons -scroll to command - menu assign
  11. GOclimb

GOclimb New Member

Wow. Is there really no simple standard way to load audio files to your Q9m that anyone is aware of?

Amazing and disappointing!

GO