help! screen sideways!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by sitlet, Aug 31, 2009.

1. sitlet

sitlet New Member

help! screen sideways!

i just did a master reset on my 6.1 q9c due to some freezing issues. last night i installed some of my programs and the phone was working great. today i noticed the phone was a little quiet on the ringer, so i did the volume hack using phm regedit. i did a soft reset, and when the phone came back, everything is sideways! how do i fix this?
  2. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

Did you try undoing the volume hack?
  3. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

1. try that ^
    2. reboot (& pull out battery)
    3. mater reset
  4. sitlet

sitlet New Member

yea i undid the volume hack. i know i didnt change anything else in the registry when i did it... i also tried removing the battery for a few mins...still doing it. while it is kinda different having the screen sideways, its getting annoying. i didnt want to do another master reset cause i spent 2 hours last night getting everything back to the way it was. but i guess i might have to
  5. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

its prolly best
  6. bberryhill0

7. gnath9

gnath9 New Member

my Q9c got stuck on a half screen once ..... it took many master resets (more than 5) before correcting itself... very odd. that was months ago and still no problems :)
  8. sitlet

sitlet New Member

yep, master reset fixed it....just kinda odd that changing the volume in the registry made it do that
  9. bberryhill0

Of course now you have to try it again and see if the same thing happens.
  10. txter

txter New Member

just turn the phone till the screen is correct
  11. sitlet

sitlet New Member

well of course i did...but everything is normal, so far...

the only thing i cant figure out is, before i reset it, whenever i got a message, the right soft key would change from contacts to message. now that doesnt happen. i am sing the sliding panel home screen right now. how do i fix this?
  12. sitlet

sitlet New Member

ok guys, need some help here. as i said, i did another master reset, and it fixed it. spent almost a whole day setting everything up and transferring contacts and such. worked fine all week. now today, the phone locked up, so i shut it down, and when it came back it was sideways again. i really dont have the time to reset again and put everything back on it. do you think a sprite backup and restore would carry the problem over?
  13. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

it is possible if its program or software related

what are you installing or reg hacks are you doing?
  14. bberryhill0

What were you doing when it locked up?
  15. sitlet

sitlet New Member

well i found a copy of Midori from a samsung when it locked up. the only hack i had done was the volume hack like before, but this time it had been working fine after the hack. as for software, nothing too out of the ordinary: bing, google maps, skyfire, tcpmp, sktools, smms, youtube, and windows live.

edit: well i backed up the registry when i first came back from the reset. i just restored that, and while i obviously dont have any of my programs or anything, the screen is back to normal. so obviously something is messing with the registry. and maybe more interesting, is there is obviously a setting in the registry that will change the screen orientation....
  16. bberryhill0

Isn't it CERegEdit that has an option to compare registry backups?
  17. sitlet

sitlet New Member

seems like a good idea, find whats changed in the registry and put it back. well i downloaded that. loaded the messed up reg file from the phone, then hit 'compare registry' and selected the backup of the normal registry. i dont know if theres something wrong, but ive been sitting here for a half hour and the progress bar hasent moved.
  18. bberryhill0

I think I had a problem with the compare also. It would be very useful if it worked. Where is CellZealot when you need his input?
  19. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

I'm just sitting here wishing I knew nearly as much a folks seem to think I know...:dft012:wink

Anyways, I just made a little screenshot of a registry file compare in CE Reg Editor and I didn't do anything special.

It does sound to me as thought the OP just downloaded CE Reg Editor and was trying to open files that were previously created with a different app.

If so, then this won't work as far as I know. On my laptop, it was very quick to complete the compare after selecting two backups of the Q9c test phone I have saved.

[​IMG]
  20. sitlet

sitlet New Member

yep that was the problem. i was using backups made with PHM rather than this program. did the compare, and found a few hundred differences. i dont really have the time to go through them all and change them. most of them deal with the programs i installed and email i set up. so i will just do another master reset and install everything one by one, and backup the registry as i go, that way if it happens again i can go back to the program that messed it up.

if anyone is curious and has some time, and would like to see the two files to see if they can figure out what changed the screen orientation, let me know and ill send you the two files.

otherwise, thanks for all the help