Help regarding getting a faulty phone replaced by Sprint

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by bananapants, Sep 20, 2009.

1. bananapants

bananapants New Member

Help regarding getting a faulty phone replaced by Sprint

So my girlfriend has a Blackberry Curve. She's had it for not even 10 months and the USB port/charger on the phone is broken and loose, so it won't hold a charge. It wasn't of her doing, and searching the internet it seems like numerous people have had that problem. Most people seem lucky enough to have it happen to them within the first three months and they just get a new phone.

My GF went to the Sprint store and they're not saying that the broken port is her fault, but they're not willing to replace her phone, and they're claiming the 1 year limited warranty doesn't cover this USB port problem. She keeps going back and forth between Sprint and Blackberry's customer service and no one is willing to help her, they just keep bouncing her back and forth between the companies.

The store manager for Sprint tells her that he can't give her any discounts or bump up her 1-year discount by 2 months. He says the best he can do is have her mother upgrade her phone in some Buy 1 Get 1 Free promotion her mom is eligible for, but her mom wasn't really planning on upgrading at the moment, even if my GF pays for the upgrade. If she doesn't do this, she's going to have to pay list price for a new phone, which is like $200 for the shitty low end models and $500+ for the higher models.

She threatened to leave Sprint, which I thought might do the trick because they're losing customers left and right (which with policies like the ones in place here, I can't blame customers for leaving), but it would cost $150 for her to break the contract and go to a new provider. Do any providers have any offers where they'll pay you back for breaking your contract if you switch to them?

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with Sprint in this situation? It seems completely unfair that she's going to have to pay list price for a new phone just because Blackberry made a shitty product.
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

best bet is to get their insurance.. worked for me many times. Little to no hassle swaps.

A decent repair shop (or you) can reconnect the port fairly easy/cheap
  3. bananapants

bananapants New Member

She ended up going back to the store, and her mom was willing to upgrade her phone to the same one my GF had, so I guess with the promotion they were running, they both got the blackberry curve 8330s for $50+tax each phone after the rebates clear. And she's going to her phone insured as well, and I think buy the charging dock too to avoid wear and tear on the USB port.

While I still think its absolutely ridiculous that the faulty USB port wasn't "covered" in the opinion of Sprint employees, $100 for two phones isn't too bad because her mom gets an upgrade out of it, the GF gets a fully working phone, and its still cheaper and mildly less hassle than repairs, switching carriers, or paying list price.

The charging dock might have worked as a fix, but then she'd still have a phone that was basically a brick without the charging dock, or if something went wrong and she needed to connect via USB, she'd be SOL.

I learned about this only after she and her mom worked out doing the upgrade, but apparently you can get Sprint to send you a new phone without even having to deal with humans:

https://indirect3.sprint.com/apps/advanceexchange/aeCriteria.do?method=displayCriteria&FROM_SPRINT=Y