Help - Q9h locked up - started with memory issues???

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by dan j, Sep 18, 2009.

1. dan j

dan j New Member

Help - Q9h locked up - started with memory issues???

Over the last week or so I occasionally received a message saying that my memory was running low and that I needed to delete some programs or move them to the storage card. That seemed weird - I hadn't downloaded any new programs in months - but I deleted Bing.com and reinstalled it on the MicroSD card. That fixed things.

Then yesterday I got the same message about there not being enough memory. The memory manager said I was down down to zero free space - again I haven't downloaded anything.

This morning the phone is locked up. It either is stuck on the green 6.1 screen or the screen goes black except for a line of pixels on the outside of the screen. None of the keys work either so I have to turn it off by pulling the battery.

On a different thread I found the following advice.

mike250rs suggested:
    you can try putting it in bootloader mode and retry the flash. Hold in "E" & Z" while turning it on.

and Tranzystor82 suggested:
    Try reflash device one more time press *(Z) ,#(B) + power button and download RSD Lite and upgrade firmware manually .

Now, I didn't have a failure after a recent firmware upgrade so I don't know if those will work and I don't want to do something that would make things worse.

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks,
    dan
  2. dan j

dan j New Member

Oh, is it possible it's a virus? I don't know what else to think.

Thanks,
    dan
  3. dan j

dan j New Member

Should I try upgrading to the newest firmware? Can I even do that with a phone that's locked up? I do use a password to unlock the phone so if I can't use any keys that might be a problem :(

Gotta run, but I will check back soon and appreciate any help!
    dan
  4. LuvrGirl

LuvrGirl Member

You might not have downloaded anything new but emails, text messages, mms and internet browsing (if you haven't done a hack to redirect cache to your storage card) ALL take up memory space on your Q.

If you can't power up to clean/delete some of that stuff up... I would probably suggest a hard reset first. Hard reset wipes everything clean and starts fresh. Then I would upgrade to the latest firmware (if you haven't already). Or, you might just be able to flash the device and upgrade the firmware - since that does wipe it clean as well.

~Maria
  5. dan j

dan j New Member

Before it died I did delete the few texts and MMS I had as well as the cache from IE. It did not help.

How do I do a hard reset? I see there's newer firmware, but I'm not on it. I think my last update was about 6 months ago, maybe a little less.

So, how do I do a hard reset or flash the Q?

Thanks,
    dan
  6. LuvrGirl

LuvrGirl Member

Hard Reset:

Turn phone off. Press and hold Z and E and press the power button to power on. Leave the phone alone for a few mins.
  7. dan j

dan j New Member

Where'd my stored numbers go!

J/K ;) I knew I'd loose them.

The Hard Reset seems to have worked, but I'm cautious. Thank you though for walking me through it! I'm still wondering if it was a virus. Most of my emails are small, text based, only a few are pictures. My wife gets TONS of PDF's without issues.

dan
  8. dan j

dan j New Member

Hmmm, phone's already starting to slow down :( Coming out of standby it's slow to recover.

Something else I noticed is that the battery life stinks all of a sudden. It did that in the days right before the hard reset too.

Really wondering if it's a virus.
  9. dan j

dan j New Member

Ok, it's happening again :( "Memory is low, please delete items". WTH!

I guess I need to do the new firmware.
  10. LuvrGirl

LuvrGirl Member

I would highly suggest for you to upgrade to the newest firmware :)
  11. dan j

dan j New Member

It's happening again!!!

Damn! I did do the firmware update ( ATT_Q9h_01.09.28DR_Standalone_Update ) which was weird, because it was 6.1 which is what I was on. Anyway, here I am, 10 days later and it's happening again. It says that memory is low, and so on.

Since the firmware update I've downloaded Slingplayer Mobile and Live Search. Actually, they were stored on the microSD card, I didn't download them again, just reinstalled them. The ONLY things I have stored on the phone are 3 days worth of email, my 15 closest friends/contacts, and two pictures - that's it. I find it incredibly hard to believe that I'm out of memory.

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, what can I do? Any help? Is there an anti-virus program I can run on the Q9h before I re-install the firmware again? And, is that the right firmware?

Thanks
  12. asom98

asom98 New Member

What other programs besides the ones that came with the firmware update have you installed? Usually when its taking a long time at the green WM6.1 screen some program and services are starting up. Looking in task manager and see what process are running. Another tool to use is Install SKTOOLS lite (it's free). Once installed run an auto clean. Let's see if the memory goes down after that.
  13. dan j

dan j New Member

The only programs I installed were Windows Live and Slingbox Mobile. They were already on the microSD card so I didn't have to download them again.

It takes a while to get past the green screen at start-up, but I don't know if it's too long.

There's nothing running according to the Task Manager.

What is SKTOOLS Lite? I found the download, but what is it?

Thank you
  14. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

it helps keep your device clean and unclutter more or less