Help...My Q shut down and won't restart

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by BJ Checket, Jun 19, 2006.

1. themack

themack New Member

this same crap is currently happening to my verzion Q

ya, seems like there is a huge defect that they are trying to cover up
  2. jetson Q

jetson Q New Member

Random Shut Off Solution

My Q would shut down while in the lock mode.
    I found that one of the battery saving tips seem to cause this.
    The battery saving tip is to shut down the "beam" in connections.
    Looks like if you turn this off the Q will shut down while in the lock mode.
    Hope this helps
    Start-> Settings -> connections -> Beam
    Keep the box checked and it solved my random shut off.
  3. sjcruiser36

sjcruiser36 New Member

Battery Cycling

I had this problem two weeks ago. I cut the phone on and before the Windows Mobile Screen could fully load, the phone would shut down and restart. It did this even after I removed and replaced the battery. I took it to the Sprint store and they informed me the battery was "Cycling". They told me Motorola sent out a download to fix this problem. It would not have helped me because the phone would'nt stay on. Needless to say, I walked out the store with a brand new phone.
  4. sjcruiser36

sjcruiser36 New Member

Defective Q's

You can see my other post pertaining to the problem. A lot of Sprint Reps. were given the Q to "Test out". I was told this when I took it in for service of the battery cycling on and off. Three reps. in the store returned their Q's for the Treo, after THIS consistent problem. I was told that after the second return for the same problem they would replace the phone for my choice. I did buy a Treo at the same time I bought the Q for another family membe and I did not want the Treo. My current Q has been working fine for two weeks, so we'll see how long it last.
  5. sjcruiser36

sjcruiser36 New Member

You can see my other post pertaining to the problem. A lot of Sprint Reps. were given the Q to "Test out". I was told this when I took it in for service of the battery cycling on and off. Three reps. in the store returned their Q's for the Treo, after THIS consistent problem. I was told that after the second return for the same problem they would replace the phone for my choice. I did buy a Treo at the same time I bought the Q for another family membe and I did not want the Treo. My current Q has been working fine for two weeks, so we'll see how long it last.[/quote]
  6. sjcruiser36

sjcruiser36 New Member

Shutting Down

I found that in order to maintain good battery life. You have to "Kill All" Runnig Programs. This took me a month to figure out on my first Q. When it was charging at night, I didn't have a problem. But during the day, the more Programs running in the "Background" the quicker the battery will drain.
  7. Squid ink

Squid ink New Member

Yes, it is curious that there is no easy way to quit or exit some of the programs. This seems to go against the fundamentals of good programming practise. It's no wonder the units hang or reset themselves occasionally. Furthermore, I don't want to have to purchase a third party application that closes down other applications for me, when the option should have been there in the first place! :gasp:
  8. bahamatt

bahamatt New Member

white screen

i have reset this phone 5 times now and it just seems to be doing it more and more often, this is really getting old... i cant even seem to reset it now i am so fed up, it is such a nice phone too bad it just has this horrible glitch
  9. gmarotti

gmarotti New Member

Possible problem with battery charger--not phone

I left MotorolaQ on charge all night and experienced the same problem as the others booting up. I finally went to another charger and it started charging immediately. I wonder if the chargers have some sort of an internal lockout if left on for a long period?
  10. KOOLWATER

KOOLWATER New Member

Yes once the phone has charged fully, (when turned on) A notice comes across the screen to let you know that.From that point on... the Q is not charging.

You will notice that the battary icon that jumps up and down during charging (when the phone is off) no longer moves. this indicates that the phone is no longer charging.

I have this cool car charger that has a digital screen to display minutes that it took to get a full charge. When its charging the q the screen is red and when the q is fully charged, the screen turns blue. When the screen is blue the battery indicator at the upper right corner is displaying the battery and not the "plug"

So yes, when the Q is fully charged it does not draw power from a power source.
  11. cs12

cs12 New Member

You can Master Reset by holding in the center button after the phone is on. I keep having the same problem with the phone sticking on the startup screen and attempting to restart. Doing the Master Reset didn't help
  12. bahamatt

bahamatt New Member

charger

thats really weird i left my charger at home and am using a charger from my old motorola v180 i believe. if it isnt in a certain way it wont charge, once it is in right i can hardboot... but i shouldnt even have to reset the phone. i called sprint andi got "oh were sorry sir we have no prior knowledge of this problem occuring but if you come to the store we can exchange" only problem is either i walk about 30 miles to the store or am phoneless
  13. WhiteWarrenGee

WhiteWarrenGee New Member

Sorry to dredge up an old thread...

I've been having lock-up, and start up hangs for quite a while with this phone. (Phone is stock (normal), no hacks/software, etc, no external memory, reg. battery) If the memory would fill up w/internet cache and cookies; clearing your Temp. Internet files usually solved the problems (until the file sizes get large again)

Once I figured this out, it took care of most of my problems. But, if the phone completely discharges, it can be difficult to restart sometimes. I've had to do a, "Forced shutdown," (unplug adapter, remove battery) as many as 3-4 times to get the phone to complete the start up sequence. Usually, letting the phone charge for a bit before attempting to restart solves this issue, but not always. Last night I plugged the phone in when I got home (the low battery alert screen was on), when I checked it a few minutes later it was off. So, attempted to turn it back on, got nothing. Unplugged it, pulled the battery, reinstalled, plugged back in. Tried start up, white screen (first time for that). Repeated this cycle several times after letting it charge some and it eventually "fixed itself". Frustrating, but no biggie.

I can't wait to get a miniSD and check out some software and hacks on this phone.
  14. Toronto

Toronto New Member

Moto Q Shut Down

I've had my phone for six months and the shut down problem seemed intermittent but occurred only days after I got it. I've done most everything suggested in the Forum including a Master Reset--that only seemed to make things worse. Last night I picked up a replacement phone from Bell Canada. They'll check the original phone to determine if I did anything wrong, but this Forum convinces me it's the Moto Q. I really like this phone when it works...I think I know why the sales guy was so keen on selling me extended warranty and maybe why I got such a great deal when I bought the phone--the price of inconvenience? If I get a report that there was something I should have done differently I'll post it here.
  15. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

check the hacks section for "white screen" this may help some with start up issues. A cradle charger is a good investment as it is the only thing that will charge a completely dead battery.