Help...My Q shut down and won't restart

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by BJ Checket, Jun 19, 2006.

1. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Why isn't it for troubleshooting?
  2. mccarob

mccarob New Member

So I guess the best thing to do is just tell anyone that has a problem to call or take the phone to their carrier. Wow, they will be happy when their issue is that don't know how to mute the sound, or play a video.

If you don't like the suggestion someone is making, keep it to yourself. Do not bring down the entire community when someone shares their thoughts/idea/suggestions when it comes to peoples issues.
  3. BSUBRAY

BSUBRAY New Member

New Q's

So I just got my new Q about a week ago. I am now on my second Q, and I am going to get my third tonight. It just dies out of nowhere. I wonder if it is some setting I have it on? But I left it plugged in and charging all night, and woke up (like many others) and it was dead. I leave my phone on all the time (24/7) and I don't know if that is what kills it or not. Does anyone know if leaving it on all the time would just kill it like that? Thanks!
  4. mccarob

mccarob New Member

It shouldn't, mine stays on 24/7. Most of the time while I'm at work its sitting next to me charging on my computer. I find it hard to believe that anyone would develop a cell phone for higher end users that wouldn't be allowed to be on 24/7. I would take it back. The only thing I notice is I think every now and then when I set mine down the battery might slip a bit and cause my phone to shut off. I will be fixing that tonight with a popsicle stick between the battery and the battery cover. :D.

--Rob
  5. CMantis

CMantis New Member

I am on my second Q with Sprint. The first one I plugged in to charge overnight and the next day it had turned itself off and wouldn't wake up. Finally got my replacement Q and have had it for 3 days and today when I went to take it off the charger it would not turn. Sometimes I could get the splash screen other times not. When I plugged it back in it would not charge. I took the battery out and replaced it several times and it still wouldn't work. So I left the battery out while I walked the dog and when I came back I was now able to 'charge' it. Apparantly the battery had totally drained itself while it was plugged in supposed to be charging all night. I am getting really frustrated. From what I can tell the Q is a nice phone I just wish I could actually try it out without something going wrong.
  6. CMantis

CMantis New Member

I just wanted to update this by saying I plugged my Q in to charge overnight and woke up to a dead Q. I have had this repacement Q less than a week and this is the second time its died instead of charging. What the heck is going on here? It sounds like others are having problems too. When are the carriers going to do something about this. This time they don't want to exchange saying I have already exchanged one.
  7. RyTRiX

RyTRiX New Member

I'm sorry but this is really getting me pissed off; I'm having the same problem and I don't see why anything has been done about this if it is such a common problem.
  8. qnoob

qnoob New Member

I had my first occurrence today. It was on and when I went to use it, found out it had shutdown. It only turned back on after I took out the battery and put it back in. It happened twice today. Everything has been kosher since.
  9. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

It seems like the Sprint versions are causing more trouble. How many are running up to date vzw Q's and having these problems?p

Just curious. I'm not trying to start a vzw vs sprint debate. Just trying to isolate it.
  10. qnoob

qnoob New Member

there a FAQ here which have the current sprint and vzw software versions? if not, maybe a sticky is in order?
  11. houshane

houshane New Member

mccarob

I will state my opinion wherever and whenever I choose, it's not bringing down anyone it's helping people. Taking the phone back to the store instead of wasting time with something you can't fix is the quickest solution. I don't think you heard me the first time when I said this is a known issue, the initial thread was 'Help My Q shut down and won't restart'.. this is a KNOWN issue with the Q at both motorola and verizon/sprint and cannot be fixed by taking out the battery.. and that is a pretty obvious step that goes without saying and has been stated multiple times. This is not a simple issue that can be fixed such as the two simple issues you cited as examples. The main cause of this is a firmware problem, while changing the registry and static in the battery can produce the same effect the main cause is a simple firmware bug.

"issue is that don't know how to mute the sound, or play a video."
    uhm, you can figure both of those out from RTFM (reading the manual)

Everyone else: If you are having this problem with your Q please take it back to the verizon/sprint store where you purchased it, if they are unwilling to return it then get a manager or go to a different store/call corporate. They know about this issue and will replace your phone. You can also claim this against the insurance twice in a 12 month period or if for some reason they won't return it directly.. you can send it back to motorola.
  12. kruze

kruze New Member

I have sprint. I am on my second Q. And guess what? It is doing the same thing. I havent returned the other Q yet but I brought them both with me to work just to see if one shut down and the other didnt. Well I go to grab them off of my seat and BOTH are off. I had to remove the battery from both. Nothing has changed. I think I am out of my 30day period too. But this is really upsetting. I spend all this money for a phone and I can barely use it.

If anyone has heard of a fix yet let me know. Thx!
  13. inf3st

inf3st New Member

If you are running this phone with any third party software. Try running it without any software. See if that might fix the problem. Also try it without any mods(if you have done any). If it were me I would do a hard reset. And run it for a bit. If the problem isn't fix after a hard reset with the phone stock. It is a defective device. Verizon will give you a brand new phone of your choice after your 3rd defective device. I don't know about Sprint. But you could ask them about it.

Remember to back up your phone before a hard reset. It does completely wipe your phone out.
  14. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

You shouldn't tell someone that your opinion should be heard and is rightfully voiced in the same thread you tell someone not to help someone troubleshoot an issue because this thread (which you didn't start) 'isn't for troubleshooting'. Seems fairly hypocrytical. On that note, regardless if the Q shut-off is a known issue, it is a symptom, not a diagnosis, so how do you know it's not caused by a bad setting/malicious software/poor battery contact? All three of those items have caused this issue which is simply solved by a master reset, an alcohol wipe, and making sure the battery is seated correctly.

For those of you outside of your 30-day period -- good thing the device you have has a 1 year warranty. If a master reset doesn't solve the issue (might as well try it as Sprint/Verizon will ask you to do it anyway), master reset it, wait for the behavior to do it again, and bring it in to the store. Hopefully you're lucky enough to live close to one, because an anal person might tell you to take the battery out and it's magically fixed. If it's in a mall, I'd oblige, wait the normal 15-20 minutes, and when it happens again, bring it in again.

Anyone that has a customer that is willing to be that patient will more than likely help you out than a customer that comes in making demands.
  15. kruze

kruze New Member

See the thing is, I just got this phone in last nite. So All I did was activate and fully charge it. But I did a master reset and just waiting til the next fall.
    Where do I get this 'MOL2' software for this phone? BTW its a sprint. THX!
  16. SorsCode

SorsCode New Member

mine did the shutdown last night and I couldn't get it turned on after plugging it in.. I could get to go to the Verizon Boot Screen and it would just sit there and about 2-3 minutes later start flashing white... So I left it plugged in thinking it was fried so I call Verizon and they sent me one right away while i'm on the phone I look over at and hanging up the phone and noticed it finally started up.. The battery was so low it would start even plugged in.. Worked fine ever since..

Bought the phone in October and this was my first issue.
  17. qnoob

qnoob New Member

My last time bringing my Q back to VZW store, I made sure I documented my symptoms. Printed it out, handed it to him and explained it to the tech guy.

He obviously noticed I knew my way around a tech support ticketing / tracking system like Remedy (gave him my ticket number and asked him to update my work history my acct) and almost immediately said he'd replace the Q for me instead of going through the usual BS with any ol' customer. I also reminded him to perform a master reset on the Q being replaced (didn't want any of my work contacts out in the wild, would be probably breaking an NDA from work anyways) and made sure he did it in front of me so we were both witnesses.

He told me he'd have my new Q ready to picked up in about an hour. Picked up the new Q and everything has been kosher for the past 24 hours.

18. tsxguy77

tsxguy77 New Member

I feel bad because I just got this phone as a gift for my girl. I bought it unlocked because she isnt eligible for an upgrade yet and she has been dying for a PDA phone for a while now and after my research and also based on looks, I went with the Q over the Palms since she has sprint. So she has been having the battery life issues but thanks to the forum, I made the fixes everyone suggested and that helped out a lot!

But today she called me to say her Q had 3 bars this morning and was talking to someone and it died and wouldnt turn back on after charging. So I told her to take the battery out and leave it and we will see how that works, but I hope it is no a reoccuring issue since I did not go through Sprint. Id have to go through Motorola to get a new phone or a fix.

I wish I knew about the battery issues before I got it though, because I really doubt I still would have bought the Q for her.:angry:
  19. newqf00

newqf00 New Member

i just had to come in here and reply to the idiot who said "Don't try to troubleshoot blah blah blah"

well my phone died this evening and when i plugged it in and tried to turn it on, it wouldnt go past the verizon screen. so i saw this thread and your post and was like "f///, my q is screwed. i fiddled with it for awhile and then i got the verizon screen with white flashes going through it and at that point i was just like "yep, my phone is REALLY F///ED" anyways, long story short... i fiddled with it on and off for a couple hours while doing some other work and WHAT DO YOU KNOW... after tweaking back and forth and trying different combinations of plugigng/unplugging, putting in/removing the battery, it WORKED.

i'm still going to get the phone replaced, but at least now i can back everything up and i'm not stuck without a phone.

so to the numbnuts who jumped down everyones throat for troubleshooting this issue; you're wrong.. plain and simple.

thanks and have a nice day :)
  20. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

The non-numbnuts thank you :) Glad you got your phone to a useable state!