Help...My Q shut down and won't restart

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by BJ Checket, Jun 19, 2006.

1. BJ Checket

BJ Checket New Member

Help...My Q shut down and won't restart

With no warning, my Moto Q shut down and nothing I do can get it started again. Has anyone experienced this problem? Does anyone no of a solution?

Thanks.

BJ
  2. jerryjr

jerryjr New Member

Remove battery, replace. Give that a try.
  3. eppyramot

eppyramot New Member

I had the same problem. Returned it to verizon, got a new one.
  4. jerryjr

jerryjr New Member

Just great... my phone just randomly turned off and will not restart. I have taken out the battery and tried to restart once again... but no luck. It is stuck at the verizon wireless logo screen. What a pain in the butt.
  5. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Jerry, I had a similar issue this morning and it was due to the phone being out of juice. I plugged it in and everything is back to normal.

-Chris
  6. jerryjr

jerryjr New Member

I had more than 1/2 battery though. This is the 2nd time it has happened. The first time, I just plugged it in and it worked... I think it may be a pretty serious bug. Do you happen to know the exchange/warranty policy for a new phone? I hope its longer than the first 15 days!
  7. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

To your first point, that might be possible. One of the first things I was hearing about the Q on these forums and elsewhere were battery issues. I found it quite curious that Verizon was offering the extended battery for $40 off retail -- out of the gate. I picked one up, but haven't installed yet. I plan on switching to the extended and using the regular as a backup.

I think Verizon in general are pretty good about supporting their phones. To be on the safe side, you could always add the insurance. I know quite a few people have had zero problems exchanging Treo smartphones with Verizon.

If this is indeed a "known" issue, then I wouldn't think it would be a problem. If you bought it at a local shop, it wouldn't hurt to give them a quick call - explain the problem and see what they recommend. After a certain amount of time, they "might" transition you to a reconditioned Q rather than a new Q. That's down the line of course...

-Chris
  8. jerryjr

jerryjr New Member

Well, I just went to a VZW store and got a new phone. I tried putting the phone on a charger but it just kept attempting to startup. Hopefully a new one will do better... we shall see.
  9. Snarl

Snarl New Member

I had the same problem with my first Q, not sure if you altered your registry or not, but that's what I did. And that is for sure what screwed it up...I went too far, altered too much, screwed something up. One day I went to turn it on and it stayed at the carrier screen, had to get a new phone. I find it odd that this is the only smartphone on the market without a master reset or key combination on the outside of the phone...oh well, still love it!
  10. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

Actually, there is a way to master reset a Q if it will boot up. There is a utility called master reset in the system tools folder of the start menu.
  11. jerryjr

jerryjr New Member

I think he was talking about a master reset button on the outside of the phone for cases when the phone does not start up. That would be a nice feature... hopefully we would not need to use it much!
  12. houshane

houshane New Member

q is stuck at carrier screen 'verizon wireless' logo

I had this problem with my motorola Q after trying to power it off after taking it off the ac charger. I really took good care of the phone and dont' see how it just died randomly, luckily when I took it back to verizon they were able to exchange it for me at no cost. Anyone have any information on what would cause this problem ?
  13. yaxpac

yaxpac New Member

My Moto Q, which is about two weeks old, just did it to me this morning. It had been on the charger all night so it had a full charge. I had it off the charger for about 30 minutes and went to check it and it was dead. I pulled the battery but no luck. about an hour later I pulled the battery again, this time for a few minutes, and when I put it back on it worked.

I might go into the store to see what they say.
  14. Munich

Munich New Member

Autistic phone

The problem when this happens is that your phone receives the calls and does not ring, but for the caller it seems that you are not taking their calls. This is my first post here, and I hate to be here looking to what might be causing my phone to behave the same way.
  15. houshane

houshane New Member

the last two post seem to be offtopic

the phone has a serious software flaw that it will not just recover from a few hours later, if your phone is stuck at the verizon wireless carrier screen don't waste the time waiting for it to "wake up" it's not going to, this is a documented problem and you need to take your q back to the verizon store where you got it and they should replace it for you at no charge
  16. mccarob

mccarob New Member

Just like with laptops there is a certian amount of time you should wait after removing the battery. While its not as long as an hour, but a minute or so should do it. Even when a battery is to dead to run the phone, the phone is still using some power. Consider leaving it out kind of like a mini reset.

I have had this problem before, and always removing the battery for a minute and turning it back on worked.

Also some of the other times i have had this problem, if I turn it on and start to see the carrier screen I quickly plug it in to a power source(usb or wall) and it starts up and starts charging just fine.

--rob
  17. CMantis

CMantis New Member

This just happened to my 3 day old phone! I haven't even taken the plastic off it let alone abused it in any way. It was working fine when I went to bed. I woke up and wondered why it was not turned on only to find it would not turn on at all! The first couple of times I could see the Sprint screen try to come on but then nothing. So I tried plugging it into my computer and nothing. However when I went to remove it there was a plain screen with text saying Motorola flash. Im guessing somehow the phone got whiped and needed the bios to be reflashed. It only took 1.5 hours on the phone (POOR connection) to India and 6 different reps only to get hung up on. All I got out of it was I had to purchase a new Q and sign up for a new plan. Of course when I called retentions they had a new phone sent out for me within 10 minutes. Now Im kinda worried if my new phone broke after 3 days. I have never heard of this with a cell phone before.
  18. inf3st

inf3st New Member

My first advice if you are having these issues is do a hard reset. While the phone is off. Press and hold the silver action key for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds, while still holding the silver action key, press and hold the end key. The phone will prompt you for a master reset. Press yes. Once the phone has done a master reset. Run it WITHOUT 3rd party software. If the issue still happens with no software/hacks then you have a defective phone. If it doesn't happen then you just messed something up.

Master resets wipe your phone completely. Back up your phone first!
  19. Shqiptar

Shqiptar New Member

I had the same problem with my 3 day old Moto Q from Sprint. I was charging it overnight, pulled the plug in the morning. It stated that the battery needed to be charged even after letting it charge overnight. I hit the OK button and it turned off. I tried to power it up but it would be stuck on the Sprint logo....until it refused to do that either. I pulled the batter out and left it out but it would no longer restart! This is a serious flaw.
  20. houshane

houshane New Member

phone stuck at verizon wireless logo

any post having to due with static in the battery and easy fixes are not going to apply, will motorola employees please quit posting here ... If your q is stuck at the verizon wireless 'carrier' screen take it back to the verizon store and request a replacement, this thread is NOT for simple troubleshooting. It is intended to direct people with this issue to the verizon wireless store to get their equipment replaced.