Help me decide which GPS Receiver to get!!

Discussion in 'Bluetooth' started by Bigworm36, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Verbal instruction depends on the software you are using, and most likely you will have to pay some type of charge for that program.
  2. Bigworm36

Bigworm36 New Member

so i got the Navibe GB735 Bluetooth GPS tried to pair it with my phone like i do with my headset and it shows up on my phone so i click it and then it says service not found the service you are requesting is not supported on the device. i tried to download the gpscom.exe and a window pops up with a title that says common language runtime debugging services with a error that says application has genereated an exception that could not be handled. wondering if anyone can help me out. I have no idea what to do. Im new to this bluetooth stuff and not very good with this type of stuff:frown:
  3. Bigworm36

Bigworm36 New Member

Ok i was able to pair it with my phone by typing in a password (0000) and a nickname but the GPS reciever is soppose to be a solid blue light when connected but it keeps blinking. when i got to bluetooth manager and then to serial ports it says inbound COM Port BTC5 and Outbound COM Port COM1 and under default device for outbound connection it says none. And there is a little box that is checked that says select new device for the next outgoing serial connecting which is faded out.
  4. Bigworm36

Bigworm36 New Member

i think i figured it out
  5. ddcarter3

ddcarter3 New Member

I have the same problem with the same BT GPS unit. Please post the fix.
  6. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Did it pair?
    Did you use GPSCOm.exe to set to com 1?
    Did you do a soft reset (turn off then on)
  7. ddcarter3

ddcarter3 New Member

See answers in quote.
  8. ddcarter3

ddcarter3 New Member

This is exactly what I see. I have tried Map4pda and Windows Live Search. The GPS receiver is never found by the programs.
    In BT Manager it shows the receiver in the paired devices with a green question mark??
  9. Stealth

Stealth New Member

As does mine. I too got the green "?" and then went back to home screen. Turned off then on. Then don't try to pair anymore. Just go to the software (I have been using google maps) and under the Menu I turn the GPS on from there. It always links right up.. I guess PM the guy who got that receiver to work

Obvoulsy make sure you have turned BT on, on your phone before turning it on in the GPS software..
  10. ddcarter3

ddcarter3 New Member

Big thanks to Bigworm36 for the fix on this. :2cool:

From Bigworm36:
    What i did was pair it with the q by going to bluetooth manager then settings and from there go to paired devices. make sure the gps is on and then pair it with the q. you will need to type 0000 i think for the pasword and enter a nickname if you want. When pairing you might not see the device right away and if you dont hit the right soft key and click on pair all devices then it will show up. Once paired the light on the gps will still blink blue which is ok. What you need to do next is go to settings then connections then click on USB to PC and make sure the enable advanced network functionality is checked. Once you do that go into windows live search and go into map view. Once in map view click on menu and click on center with gps. Once you do that it should locate your position and the blue light should turn solid. Let me know if this helps Bigworm36,

From ddcarter3:
    Thanks for the help. The only thing I did different was a restart of the Q after checking the Avanced Network check box. Everything fell into place after that.
    Thanks again,
    David Carter
  11. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Glad you got it to work..!!!:laugh2: Funny how differnet receivers and programs require different things. However I still recommend trying google maps if you like to view the sattelite imagery. It is soooooooooo much better than WLS... at least the last time I looked it was.
  12. ddcarter3

ddcarter3 New Member

Stealth816....I use Map4PDA (for the speedometer), WLS just because it was the first one I got and Google Maps at your recommendation. I have to make sure I kill the other map program before I try the other one. I like them all. I own DeLorme Street Atlas also. Just got to get them to map the maps work on the Q. I just got it working today, so I have some time. I checked out the Speedo in Map4PDA. Very accurate. My Dad wanted to get a speedo for my bass boat. This a better choice. Anyways, who needs a speedo in a boat??
    Thanks for your help as well on getting this to work.:2cool:
  13. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Just curuoius.. Have you had any troble with Map4pda locking up your Q. I liked it a first but, the tiles DL'd very slowly and it locked up several times. There has been a new update since I last tried it, I wonder if that helped?
  14. ddcarter3

ddcarter3 New Member

The last update was April7, I believe. I have not tried it in the country yet. I am in Houston, TX. I usually have pretty good download speeds. Does Google Maps download better? No problem with locking up yet.
  15. N7AS

N7AS Member

I just got the Holux GPSlim 240 off eBay for about $60 +19.95 shipping (ripoff) but everybody there is charging 20 bucks anyway. I tested it today, and it even tracked me inside a department store. I'm using Windows Live Search. Setup was a snap in under 3 minutes.
  16. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Yes the houlx 240 is great. $20 I guess cause it comes from Tiwan
  17. N7AS

N7AS Member

It came from Manassas, VA - first class mail - 9 ounces - $2.15. I guess the rest was "Handling Charge".
  18. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Wierd mine came from tiwan.. had foregin packing and everything.
  19. neoshi

neoshi New Member

It seems the general concensus is that Holux products are the way to go. I was going to try the rebranded Holux GPSlim 240 which costs half the price of the 240. I was also considering the iTrek M6 (for its SiRF III v3.2 chipset with WAAS) and perhaps the iTrek M5+ (MTK chipset). Thoughts on these considerations? SiRF III seems the way to go, though MTK is great too I hear in terms of sensitivity. Should WAAS be the sell point? Too many receivers out there with too few reviews! Maybe I should just get that ASUS UMPC...
  20. infoman

infoman New Member

Pharos GPS receiver

I just got the Pharos GPS-360 with blue tooth adapter to work with Google Maps. After using the GPSCOM.exe utility and a reboot it aquired sats within a few seconds...a lot faster than the same receiver did with my old iPAQ....coincidentally has a Q in the name <sassy>