Help me decide which GPS Receiver to get!!

Discussion in 'Bluetooth' started by Bigworm36, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Bigworm36

Bigworm36 New Member

Help me decide which GPS Receiver to get!!

Can someone please help me get a decent GPS Receiver. I dont really want to spend more than $80. I was thinking about getting the Qstarz BT-Q818 Bluetooth GPS Receiver from buygpsnow.com, is that a good one to get that will work with windows live or google maps???? Please let me know your help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Stealth

Stealth New Member

I have the Holux GPSlim 240 paid $60 on ebay plus shipping for $20 using it with Googlemaps.. and it works really good so far, but only had it a week. I like it cause I get to use Googlemaps that have so much detail and the receiver itself is the size of a USB flash drive. However Googmaps is not true GPS software (but its free), but I do recommend the Holux.
  3. erussell

erussell New Member

The Holux init mentioned works great - I recommend Mapopolis maps - been using them for years on my Dell Axims
  4. Bigworm36

Bigworm36 New Member

Ok thanks ill take a look into it!!
  5. hanski9

hanski9 New Member

My reccomendation would cost too much...not to hear it, just what I reccomend. LOL
  6. caswnc

caswnc New Member

hmmm...

I must be missing something.

I bought a Holux 240 Bluetooth GPS and have yet to get it to work correctly?!

my Motorola Q is being used through Verizon.

Is there anyway to get this to work without hacking it or whatever crazy backwards ways I have seen floating around? I am not that smart when it comes to this and don't want to risk messing up my phone. I have yet to ever use the GPS unit and am itching to considering I have a roadtrip planned. At this point I thought getting this to work was a lost cause.

Any help is greatly appreciated:laugh2:
  7. Stealth

Stealth New Member

What program are you using? I use googlemaps and it worked fine. I did not do any hacks. I did install a program called GPSCOM.exe on my phone, ran it, and then selected a COM port. I paired it, got the normal green question mark everyone else did (see other posts), but now everyday I just go to googlemaps and select the GPS feature and it works fine.
  8. caswnc

caswnc New Member

Thanks for the help Stealth. I followed your previous info about gpscom but it comes up in French and my browser will not translate it even though google says it did.

Anyways, I have tried with Googlemaps and windows live. I am able to get the Q to connect via bluetooth but no application will pick it up. This makes me think it is something about the whole problem they had with the drivers/comports.

In time this will get figured out. sigh lol!
  9. Stealth

Stealth New Member

French?? Any way go to this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ghlight=GPSCOM join the forum. Download it. Put it on your Q. In file manger run it. Select Com 1. Make sure you have gone through the BT pairing process. Turn your phone off then back on. Make sure you have turned on BT on your Q. Start the Holux (outside), wait till orange light flashes (a minute or 2), Then Go to GoogleMaps. SelectTrack GPS location. Should work if not let me know.

PS you should NOT have to Pair the Holux everytime
  10. caswnc

caswnc New Member

I signed up and now have to wait for acceptance before I can download... grr

so do I have to unlock my registry? I read through the rest of that post and it freaked me out
  11. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Should be almost instant. If not, PM me with your email and I'll send it to you.
  12. tpipher1

tpipher1 New Member

I got in right away! Plus the thing works GREAT!, even with my old Belkin BT GPS. LOVE IT! Thanks guys. :laugh2:
  13. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Great.. So you had trouble before GPSCOM.exe?
  14. Bigworm36

Bigworm36 New Member

Well i ordered the Navibe GB735 Bluetooth GPS I hope it works with either google maps or windows live. is there anything I should do before i try to use it on my Q
  15. Stealth

Stealth New Member

I would go through the normal set up for BT. Then if you have problems try something else like GPSCOM.exe
  16. tpipher1

tpipher1 New Member

Ya same as everyone else, the notorious "Green Question Mark". But the GPSCOM.exe took care of that! HUGE help! Thanks
  17. Bigworm36

Bigworm36 New Member

Ok thanks..... hopefully it goes smooth:laugh2:
  18. Stealth

Stealth New Member

No problem!
  19. Sheri

Sheri New Member

I can't wait to hear how it works! Please report back!
    Also, does it, or any of the BT GPS receivers give audible instructions??
    Thanks!
  20. Butwait

Butwait New Member

With the above link I was able to pair my TomTom GPS receiver with my BlackQ and it works great, Thanks for the information this place is great! :smile::smile: