help getting tunes and photos onto my phone

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Ben Walker, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Ben Walker

Ben Walker Member

Hello,
    still a relative newbie to windows 7 phone but getting there!
    Next dumb question.
    I have a vast bank of photos and music, all stored on iphoto and itunes on my mac.
    today I dumped a load onto my pc so I could easily transfer them to my phone but for some reason it's not working.
    I have put my tunes onto the pc version of itunes.
    But for some reason when I plug my phone in, itunes doesn't register it so I can't simply drag and drop the tunes I want onto the phone.
    Instead, zune kicks in and tells me I have three tunes ready to sync (these are free ones I got when I signed up).
    With my photos, I have transferred a batch successfully to windows live, but when I press the import button, it sees my phone and then tells me it's not possible to sync. All I can do is upload pictures I've taken from my phone up to the computer.
    I want to put stuff on my phone from my computer too and cant fathom how to do it. Not stuff I've just bought but files I have on itunes or windows live.
    I'm sure there's something simple I can do and would be most grateful if somebody could help me by taking me through the simplest way.
  2. Fleon

Fleon New Member

iTunes won't recognize your phone- iTunes won't recognize anything but an iPhone. Go figure, Apple products only work with Apple. Zune should transfer your music and photos just fine. In that respect, it's just like iTunes- just plug in your phone, let it be recognized, then drag songs/albums/playlists/photos/albums to the phone icon and it will sync up fine. You may have to import songs into Zune before they will show up if you put your music in some strange places.

You can also go to Zune's settings, hit Phone and set up wireless sync and your phone will automatically do all the syncing wirelessly as long as 1) your phone is plugged into an AC adapter for at least 10 minutes and has at least 50% battery life and 2) your computer is on.

I'm not sure about what you mean about transferring photos to Windows Live. Do you mean the live.com site? If so, if your phone is using the same Windows Live ID, you can go to the Pictures Hub on your phone and all the albums you've put up there should show up and you can view them on your phone without even having to have them stored on the phone! I recommend using Windows Live Essentials' Photo Gallery program to make uploading to Live easy and quick.

Hope that helps. You'll find that there are a ton of things the phone will do, and not all of them are immediately obvious. Post if you have more questions!
  3. Ben Walker

Ben Walker Member

Fleon, that's a tremendous help, thanks. I understand the music thing now. I just couldn't find the option on Zune upload stuff from my stick but I think I understand now.
    On the pictures front, if I'm honest I'm not sure I understand the difference between Windows live and the inbuilt photo organizer. I'll go back and take a look and come back and as some questions.
    Quick other question.
    Windows live is an account on my phone which says it will sync contacts, calendar, photos and feeds. But when I click on it to do so, it only lets me sync email. Do you know what that's about?
    Thanks again for your help. It's much appreciated.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Everything else (contacts, photos, feeds), but email is essential to phone integration, so it needs to be on all the time. Therefore, the phone does not give you the option to turn sync off.
  5. Ben Walker

Ben Walker Member

Ninjaap, do you mean that it is already syncing contacts, photos and feeds? Thanks for the reply.
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yes! :)