~help~ Flash Mode?? Phone Wont Turn On....

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by qrasflk4, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Radu43

Radu43 New Member

So if your phone is not booting and has this error on the screen, I need to return it. Is this correct???
  2. braxtoq

braxtoq New Member

Still ticking......I've used my phone all day and have not charged it or rebooted still have 9 programs running, no issues yet.... stay tuned some more.....
  3. dcd

dcd New Member

i would suggest returning it. its totally possible that you could reflash it and never have another problem. but my point was that nothing YOU did made your flash get corrupted - if it was me, id want a device with a known good flash rom. personally i think they must have used a cheap flash chip in the q seeing how many people have this issue.
  4. dcd

dcd New Member

ok, what csnow told you about programs staying in memory is true, but it has absolutely nothing to do with seeing your phone start up in bootloader and refuse to start normally.

why dont you guys take a look at the moto modding community for other devices. hardware wise, there is little (razr) to nothing (e815) internally different about this phone from other motorolas. software wise, it runs windows mobile while others do not. but im saying that your flash ROM losing or corrupting its WM image is a HARDWARE PROBLEM. the chipset is a lousy 100mhz qualcomm MSM6500 found also in the moto E815. you could have a RAZR and run into this same issue, if your flash became corrupted. it has absolutely nothing to do with windows mobile, or windows mobile applications, or the activity of your RAM during normal operation.

your RAM is completely separate from your flash ROM. running applications use RAM.
  5. csnow

csnow New Member

Boot loader/flash mode phone won't come on

Sure, I'll quote the source again, look back a few posts.....multiple Motorola Q techs on their 800 tech line, a few Alltel techs & hours of calls/research. They have all told me the same thing, they don't seem to be dummies & I'm on my 5th Q. I listen to anyone who knows more than me. It makes sense to me and would have to be an unbelievable concidence that I have lost so many phones because they all have bad chips. No, it's ME and the way I was misusing it. I post this in case others are making the same mistake.......Don't jump around the Q by hitting home key, or directly to other programs, leaves numerous programs running, as evidenced in task manager. Shutting it down regularly or killing all programs from TM regularly are supposed the solution. If you have a better solution and credentials, I will certainly listen.
  6. dcd

dcd New Member

what they told you is true yet unrelated to the topic at hand. my source is 15 years of computer and electronics experience and as for credentials, i work IT at a fortune 50 company. I have nothing to do with cellular companies, just lots of experience.

can you explain how activity in RAM can affect anything in your flash ROM? unless im missing something, its not possible. i absolutely agree with your sources that running applications have an effect on your RAM. my point is that it has no effect on the WM image or the reason you see the bootloader. you really beleive that you messed up 4 phones just by using them normally?!?! i say you are doing nothing to cause this problem. even beyond the ram/rom point, 4 devices going bad is reason to blame manufacturing and/or a faulty component, not reason to blame yourself.

i really beleive that you could re-flash the phones that are going bad, and if they boot up, absolutely leave them alone, and they would go bad again. its a faulty chip. i do have lots of experience with electronics using cheap, unreliable flash rom chips. my last example would have been the 1.0 and 1.1 ms xbox. after time the flash rom goes bad and loses the bios, xbox no longer boots, would you beleive that is a result of just playing games? its not.
  7. dcd

dcd New Member

as for my proposed better solution, use rsd lite, grab the firmware from the "firmwares" subfolder from MSU, reflash the phone.

i can say that I have flashed my Q 10-20 times with no problems. this suggests the opposite, that the flash rom has no problem at all, but maybe its just my device.

why dont you try to reflash your phone and see what happens? if you are certain that the flash rom chip is good, this will absolutely fix the phone.
  8. dcd

dcd New Member

my intention here was to help users with this problem better understand it, not to argue my own qualifications. while alltel and motorola techs may know cellular technology better than us, their devices are nothing but simple computers. surely someone else will back me up here - we are talking about a device with RAM, ROM, a processor, and a form of storage. thats it. are you telling me that if I took a 100mhz PC and loaded up a bunch of memory-resident applications, the BIOS on my motherboard would become corrupt?
  9. dcd

dcd New Member

furthermore there is no "method to get out of bootloader"

when the q boots, the bootloader loads the image in flash rom, in this case, windows mobile.

if this image is not able to be loaded, the phone displays the bootloader. when in bootloader mode, the battery must be removed to attempt to start the phone normally again. if you are not holding * and enter, its going to attempt to load the image again like normal. either its going to load and you see WM, or its not and you see bootloader.

flash the phone and if the flash takes, you wont see the bootloader. if you flash and still see the bootloader, the image didnt write to flash correctly, and i beleive the flash is bad.
  10. dcd

dcd New Member

if you have contact information for this super moto tech who beleives that RAM activity is corrupting ROM, id like to speak with him, so I can understand how the 2 can possibly be related.
  11. csnow

csnow New Member

The "super tech" was actually several Moto Q techs, all giving the same advice (my 5 Q's now). Perhaps all Q techs have been intstructed to tell anyone with that problem the same thing. Their number is 800-657-7576 & we would love to have you talk to them. You obviously have the qualifications.

Their solution just made sense to me since I have had the same blue screen failure on previous low end computers....I run a lot of memory eating software in my engineering work, jumping between & seldom closing programs. If the chips are that bad why aren't there ever MORE of us having this problem? Just makes sense that it is user related habits.

Can't wait to hear your results.
  12. dcd

dcd New Member

thanks for the #. i need to talk to them about another issue, and 1-888-buy-moto or whatever told me that there is no higher tier cs available. i will give them a call sometime this weekend and let you know what i come up with.

about the low end computer...these days operating systems have their own method of handling memory, and have their own routines to follow when available physical memory is used up. i am not an engineer but i primarily support engineering users and i am all too familiar with the way their applications eat up any hardware you throw at them. but, at least in an xp/vista environment, my experience has been that BSOD type crashes are the result of a software problem or BAD hardware, but never just running out of memory. Actually, nowadays you get a popup window with an OK button telling you that no more virtual memory is available :). i beleive wm5 is intelligent enough to handle memory usage rather than crashing also - these devices only have 64mb, and any everyday user is going to use that up at some point. as windows mobile has been around a long time, i cant beleive MS would not have implemented better memory management by now if this was an issue.

i thought about the possibility of the operating system writing to ROM based on RAM activity. while I am no WM5 expert, I do have a contact at MS who is and will run my theory by him later. i am under the assumption that the Q operates in the same fasion as a linux-based, flash-rom storage based, low end thing i play with at home (actually running as a router right now) - on that device i have 16mb of flash ROM and 16mb of RAM. The image for the OS takes about 4mb. The remaining 12mb is writable during OS operation, but the 4mb where the OS is stored is read-only. Modifying a file stored in read-only space results in the entire file being rewritten in the available space. The read-only copy is then ignored in favor of the stored copy. I have reason to beleive the Q behaves the same - try and go into your windows folder and delete a file stored in ROM. You cant - but you can create a new file thats 0 bytes and overwrite it.

If this is true, the OS would never touch the space that gets read by the bootloader at startup time.

Have all of your affected Q's been from alltel? Have you noted the manufacture dates and/or serial/ESN #'s? Take the early versions of xbox I mentioned earlier - the bad devices were manufactured for 6 months to a year. Lets say you went to your local walmart and returned one 5 times - and got one from the same shipment each time - I can see you having the same problem over and over. I am beginning to blame motorola here, not MS or alltel or the user.
  13. dcd

dcd New Member

I've called this number twice now and its pretty clear that neither of the people I spoke with learned english as their first language.

Last night the agent I spoke with admitted that he does not understand the problem I described, yet insisted that tier 2 support could not assist with it. I wanted to speak with tier 2 since tier 1 could not even understand me. This obviously angered the agent, because he began yelling very loudly into the phone. After screaming at each other for a while I was told that a 3rd level engineer would be calling me in 3 to 4 hours. I never received a callback.

I called again today and got another agent who stumbled over his english telling me that their computers are down and they cannot help with anything.

I am beginning to wonder if I should have purchased an HTC device, based on support.
  14. braxtoq

braxtoq New Member

OK, I let my Q's battery run completely down with 10 programs running, popped in another battery and no problems! I do not think the issue has anything to do with the number of programs running
  15. aadams

aadams New Member

I don't seem to have the problems everyone is having. I have only shut off my phone probably 2 times since I got my Q. I run programs all day long and right now I have 17 of them running. No problems yet. I downloaded the Opera Browser for my Q today. It runs quicker than IE. I find.
  16. kalmania

kalmania New Member

MY phone went into flash mode

I really dont think its from running to many programs.My phone went into flash mode and i was only running 2 programs as i can recall.i forgot to charge the phone yesterday when i came home so i left it without knowing. 4 hours later my phone went into flash mode.i think it has a few bugs.i hope motorola can repair it at no cost.Any thought please reply thanks!!!
  17. QPeach

QPeach New Member

I just had the same "flash mode/bootloader version" message come up and it sent me into a state of panic, especially when I read this thread. (And especially since I had forgotten the Q on my deck all night-under a canopy, but in the rain, nonetheless, and had left it on. This morning, I switched out batteries and it worked fine, then all of a sudden around 6 hours later....the dreaded message. I called Sprint and they won't have any phones in for a couple days and my business depends on my having access to my phone. Anyway, out of quiet desperation and a glimmer of hope...and what the heck, it can't hurt, I removed the battery, put in a fully charged one and VOILA..it is working. I am hoping that this error message was just due to me not keeping a charge on my battery...who knows...it is working now and honestly, the only real complaint I have is battery life. My husband has the Q and he got the 3200 battery...we used to get about 6 hours...now he is getting a couple days worth...I just switch out between his old battery and mine. Ok, nuff said already....
  18. louwho04

louwho04 New Member

hi

Hello, I am not very techy so I hope you guys don't tell me to do something difficult. I was on my Q the other night and my friend sent me a text. When I got off the phone with her, I tried to open the text and it wouldn't let me. I shut my phone off and turned it back on. When it came back on, it wouldn't go past the Windows Mobile screen. It plays the music and everything but the screen stays the same. Please help if you can!! Thanks
  19. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard.. how long have you had the Q ? if you didn't install too much and/or personalized it you may want to consider a Master Reset. before that describe the screen you say it stays on.
  20. aeonfluxx75

aeonfluxx75 New Member

Naysayer - tsks

I'm a naysayer to this proposed cause. This is my first motoQ and I always - ALWAYS - ended running tasks via taskmgr right after using an app or utilizing anything. I do not have an SD card so therefore knowing that memory was somewhat limited AND not wanting to bog down or self-induce performance drags or hits I would go right to taskmgr and kill all then return to home screen. However, I would frequently use the home button to get to home screen to quickly access taskmgr. So maybe the bootloader flash mode is tied to the home screen button. I never really used it until recently when I noticed problems with startup and shut down, slower than usual performance and issues with it coming on or holding\reporting charge appropriately. Either way it certainly isn't running tasks in my case, unless it's the frequency of which one uses kill or kill all.