~help~ Flash Mode?? Phone Wont Turn On....

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by qrasflk4, Apr 23, 2007.

1. StinkyMojo

StinkyMojo New Member

This problem happened to me earlier this week and I just got my replacement this morning.. a frikken refurb from Motorola.. the direction and select buttons are sooo mushy.. makes me mad.

Has anyone tried to open up their Q or know of a guide? I think I'm going to have a little operation tonight to get some damn buttons to click! :angry:
  2. csnow

csnow New Member

I'm a pretty good judge of character (and tech knowedge), being an engineer myself. This guy was pretty sharp. The techies at Motorola told me he was the expert on the Q. You can call their tech support number and ask them yourself if you doubt his credibility.
  3. geoff101

geoff101 New Member

experts on q's are anyone willing to put thier reputation at stake...no offense and props for trying to figure out 'what' causes this...but I had a q that had nothing running and it bombed...i am dying to find a common denominator on the flash boot thing...but i dont think it's programs running...I had an aquaintence that got the flash mode and he power cycled and it came back up...I was like, "you are kidding me"...so there is a way in, and a way out of it....but only God knows how....
  4. csnow

csnow New Member

Point taken. All three times I have lost a Q to boot loader/flash mode, I would have sworn there were no programs running......because, the phone was just sitting on my desk, not in use. The tech said, that is immaterial, because one of its quirks is that programs start and stay memory resident, whether your return to the home screen or not. Going to task manager and checking TSR's is supposed the answer. Unfortunatey, I cannot start it right now to verify his contentions, because I have not yet received my fourth Q. The third one only lasted 2 weeks, but right out of the box, it would shut itself down repeatedly, up to 3 times in a row. But, after 2 weeks, it just wouldn't restart.
  5. csnow

csnow New Member

Boot loader/flash mode/phone won't come on

After hours of research, Alltel & Motorola techs, I became obsessed with this problem, seeing how many others have had it (I'm an engineer & 5 Q's for me now!!). I am firmly convinced it IS INDEED a problem with programs running (TSR's). You naysayers responding to this thread previously should send apologies when it happens to you. Multiple Motorola techs inisist that it is a problem inherent in WM5, & the Q, that ANY PROGRAM you start: ie: contacts, calandar, media player, tasks, IE, camera, etc. will stay running ESPECIALLY if you simply hit the home button or jump to another app. These do not have to be 3rd party softwares you installed. Prove it to yourself (if yours still comes on) & go to "system tools", "task manager". There you will see several programs running. As I posted before, it's analogous to blue screen computer failure, more memory than the Q can handle. It gives you NO WARNING, just shuts down & goes to bootloader/flash mode. OS failure is fatal & Q must be replaced. Solution: Regularly kill programs not in use from "task manager", or turn your Q off at night/when not in use. Last Moto Q tech this morning, said it will eventually happen to anyone who leaves Q on all the time. I told her to join this forum and speak up - get it published in the manual.
  6. braxtoq

braxtoq New Member

OK I'll bite! I have 12 program running currently and I'll leave my phone without killing any of the apps until tommorow evening......stay tuned!
  7. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

be interesting to see your findings!
  8. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

Or you can just "autobrick" the q and put it into the mode yourself by pressing the A and the Enter keys at the same time.:laugh2:
  9. csnow

csnow New Member

Good Luck!!

I'm excited to see your findings as well, though I think you're probably making a BIG mistake!

Suggestions: 1. Q insurance paid up. 2. Q backed up. 3. Can you do without Q for a few days or have a spare?

Comment: Follow the thread back & note it has less to do with how many apps, more to do with memory used by apps.....e.g.: I use my contact list constantly & it has over 600 contacts with 5 to 10 of the available fields used per contact.....stands to reason that the file when memory resident takes power! So does my calandar events. Anytime I use contacts to dial a number & then go to say my calandar or task list, I find contacts is still running an hour later. GOOD LUCK!
    :gasp:
  10. geoff101

geoff101 New Member

We all wait with baited breath...o'er yonder I think I hear the faint sighing of a trumpet playing 'Taps'...Godspeed...Godspeed

but seriously, if it fries, you'll get another...
  11. FourTwenSesh

Geoff, I know how to get INTO bootloader mode, but I don't know how to get out. Its a combination keypress of the A key and the Enter keys at the same time. Hopefully that lets you get some sleep. I just don't know how to get OUT of that mode.
  12. geoff101

geoff101 New Member

eh...no lost sleep...I would KILL to know how to get out of bootloader...
  13. FourTwenSesh

Think we could push for a free one to test it out with? I found this answer in a thread somewhere else as well

15 ) Q: how do i check wot bootloader my phone is running on?
    A: to enter bootloader mode, switch off ur phone, then hold down * and # keys WHILE u're powering ur phone on. to exit bootloader mode simply switch on phone and switch it back on normally.

Found @ http://www.motomodders.net/Default.aspx?tabid=68&articleType=ArticleView&articleId=8
  14. csnow

csnow New Member

Boot loader/flash mode phone won't come on

Sorry folks, I thought I covered my research findings on that "in & out of bootloader/flash mode" before, guess I forgot. Moto Q techs told me, yes, it's easy to get into it, using several keystroke combinations mentioned previously in this thread & a couple of related threads (wish we could tie all these related threads together Mr. Moderator). HOWEVER, bootloader is just that, a way to load software, updates, etc. They say getting OUT is NORMALLY simply turning it off or removing the battery for 5 minutes. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE PROBLEM WE'VE BEEN DISCUSSIING. Q automatically goes into this mode when the OS "fries". When too many TSR apps cause it to shut down (& go into this mode), you are just out of luck!
    :embarassed:
    I also agree with another comment here: the Q DOES shutdown sometimes & fortunately come back up. My 2nd or 3rd Q (can't remember which), did that numerous times before its death. My 5th (hopefullly final) just arrived!!! I'm a new man & much better educated now....
    :smile:
  15. FourTwenSesh

So shouldn't you be able to flash the phone's OS back onto it again, even if it is fried? Bootloader= type of BIOS, correct me if i'm wrong, so why is it automatically assumed that the phone is bricked if your phone goes into bootloader mode? Has anyone actually just continued the steps to flashing the Q's OS or not?
  16. csnow

csnow New Member

Boot loader/flash mode phone won't come on

My understanding is, that's what THEY do when you return these "fried ones", but if it is, the dozen or more Alltel & Moto Q techies won't tell me how to do it, or provide the tools/instructions. Wouldn't you have to have the complete OS (not updating) on a disk & software to upload it? If it that easy, why wouldn't they WANT us to do it rather than all the insurance claims, RA numbers & shipping costs? One Alltel tech told me they reload the OS if possible, refurbish & send it out as a replacement to me or somebody else with the high end insurance. Alltel's policy is NO NEW phones, only refurbished following the 3 or 4 day "remorse date". It would be interesting to see if one of the hackers from other threads on this forum could do it.
  17. FourTwenSesh

Definitely, I'd love to solve this problem, Motorola would hate me.:laugh2:
  18. Radu43

Radu43 New Member

I have the same thing happen to me.

I guess I need to bring it back to the store.:angry:
  19. Radu43

Radu43 New Member

General Questions

Do you think rebooting the device once every week is a good idea???
    To avoid this from happening.
  20. dcd

dcd New Member

wow lots of misinformation here

the only thing that is going to make your phone boot into bootloader and not exit, is if the flash is corrupted.

you can run motorola software update, or just flash the .shx file with rsd lite, and in theory that will restore the phone.

however for the phone to be in bootloader mode in the first place, its likely that the flash is bad, and flashing a bad chip wont fix it. this is why they warranty this problem. the biggest peice of misinformation i read in this thread is that this is caused by "loading TSR apps" ?!?!?!?!?! could you please cite your source here?!?!?!?! NO WM SOFTWARE IS GOING TO CAUSE THIS