HELP!!Dropped phone in water!!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by raiderq9c, Jul 21, 2008.

1. sherri

sherri Active Member

NOOOOO! You can not soak the Q in rubbing alcohol! They had spoken about pure alcohol, and used sparingly! (I use it on a Q-tip to clean between the keys and the screen)
  2. Flint the Mint

Flint the Mint New Member

I know, but htis dude said this on page one....

3. sherri

sherri Active Member

Before you do that, let me speak to him on FaceBook...Can NOT see immersing my phone in anything!!!
  4. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

I like to immerse mine in Jack and Coke on occasion!

Yea doesn't sound like a great idea...may not harm it as long as its not on..But i won't be trying it anytime soon.
  5. RCars2

RCars2 New Member

I work as the phone repair tech at a third party sprint dealer. Now normally if i receive a phone that water has gotten into (which as a side note, if ya decide to open your phone and remove or replace all the water indicator stickers, we can still tell if its been water damaged), its an insurance claim and we don't fix it. However, in the case where someone doesn't have insurance on their phone I can attempt to clean it but basically their warranty is void at that point and I make no guarantees on the repair other than at best this is a temporary fix and the phone WILL fail again at some point.

That being said when i do a cleaning on a Motorola Q, i start by stripping the phone down (a set of percision torx screwdrivers and a small flatblade screwdriver is all you need to take it apart, ill double check the size of the torx at work tomorrow). There are hidden screws under the panel the covers the camera lense, to remove the panel take off the batter cover and you will see a tab at the bottom left of the camera panel, use a screwdriver to pry up and slide the panel up. At this point all thats left is to remove the 6 torx screws and then carefully pry the faceplate off the phone (i have a special plastic tool for this but a plastic butter knife or careful use of percision screwdriver would work just fine).

Once apart I dry any visible water pooling with paper towel and canned air and then swab all corroded parts and any areas that have come in contact with water with a q-tip dipped in de-natured alcohol. Make sure its de-natured and not rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol will react to the metal traces inside the phone and will leave white residue when it dries (trust me, bad times). After that its just re-assembly and crossing my fingers hoping it works.

If you want to see how to take your Q apart you can google "Motorola Q disassembly" or if you would prefer i can take my own personal Q apart at work tomorrow and post up pictures for reference.

Hope that helps some.

-Rob
  6. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I have to agree on this; if it's been wet long enough for corrosion to begin, generally the corrosion will continue to progress. even after it's dried out. Although if you get it dried out fast enough after it happened you can avoid most of the corrosion.
    and the size is a T6. you can pick up a driver set that has one from radio shack
  7. sherri

sherri Active Member

Thanks, Rob..I am mobile, or I would hit the "thank you" button. I knew "immersing" the phone in alcohol didn't sound right!

Have said it before, though...I would sooner remove my own appendix with a kitchen knife than take apart my Q...
  8. RCars2

RCars2 New Member

I dont blame ya, taking apart a phone is daunting if you have never done it before (my first day as a tech was a little nerve-racking, thought i was going to break everything i touched). Thankfully Motorola made the Q mostly easy to take apart. I will say i would much rather take apart a Q than a Blackberry any day of the week (Blackberrys have rediculous pressure switches that nearly break everytime it comes apart and a stupid clip on the bottom) but sadly (or fortunatly for us who actually own the Q's) people break more Blackberries than Q's.

Oh and thanks for the "thanks". I figure its the least i could do to share how i would fix it. :smile:
  9. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Welcome RCars2.........also thx for the information!
  10. bommor

bommor New Member

Three weeks in and no problems. I didn't even lose any data! Oven at 125 degrees Fahrenheit worked like a charm. I wouldn't try the rubbing alcohol if I were you - it just sounds like a bad plan. I work in a research lab, so I use pure alcohol pretty often to sterilize stuff, but I always burn it off. If you let it evaporate, it will leave a residue, no matter what.

I also didn't take my MotoQ apart at all - just put it in a disposable aluminum tray, stuck it in the oven and waited three or four hours. Then I let it cool and tried again.

Oh, also don't put the battery in the oven: heat is murder on battery life. Batteries are generally sealed anyway, so usually you can just wipe them off with a paper towel and they're good to go. (I'm still using the same battery that fell in the water.) I also took out my memory card, but you don't need to unscrew anything or take it apart. If you're on a GSM network, you should take out the SIM card as well.

The best advice is probably to do all this as soon as possible. If you've waited long enough that corrosion has set in, there's not a whole lot the average person can do. I know some people who have continued to use their phone recovered by this method for several years, with no problems.
  11. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

I chased a football into the river yesterday without thinking and my Q was in the side pocket. Totally drenched the shit out of it, stickers on both battery and phone are very red. Dried it out over the vents in my house and let it sit overnight. Put my battery back in this morning and the Q powered up again.

I have had nothing but good luck with Motorola phones, my wife's krzr fell victim to a mosh pit at a concert and even after being soaked in beer and stomped on for 3 hours, it still worked as well.