HELP!!Dropped phone in water!!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by raiderq9c, Jul 21, 2008.

1. gmardre

gmardre New Member

Is her phone still working?
  2. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

Yes, but she's moved on to an Iphone now.
  3. acunn1

acunn1 New Member

I had to do this to my daughters phone. Held it in my hand and used the blow dryer, that way it would not get too hot.
  4. steinj1

steinj1 Member

you're lucky you got the phone working again. My girlfriend dropped her EnVy in the toilet. I (unfortunately) had the lucky task of fixing it. Most important is to NEVER turn it on while wet. The moisture on the pcb will destroy the phone. You may have gotten your phone to work but I would suggest taking it apart. There is possible corrosion inside that will wreak havoc over time. When her phone dropped in the toilet it sat about an hour before i started taking it apart. within that small time frame it had started to corrode. I dried the phone components and took a (new) pencil eraser to anything that had started to corrode. Its a P.I.T.A but itll buy some insurance.

Hope this helps
  5. PACanesFAn

PACanesFAn New Member

^ Yeah that.

Remember folks, water and circuit boards mix. Water and circuit boards and electricity do not. I worked at an army depot for a while and to clean the circuit cards, we used a brush and 409. If we didn't have 409, we just used water. Also, we commonly sent bigger things to be steam cleaned. Just be sure they are perfectly dry before using again.
  6. rlaughton

rlaughton New Member

Refrigerator

I was surprised not to see it here, unless I missed it, but about the driest place in the world is in your refrigerator. There is no humidity.

I have saved dozens of watches, cell phones and other electronics (i.e. rain soaked GPS) by putting them in the fridge. NOT THE FREEZER!

Just leave it overnight and it should be fine.
  7. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Very interesting. Makes sense.

On another note: If it does finally dry out and work again. Im sure you still couldn't replace it under warranty, since that little "moisture dot" will have chg'd color. agree?

potq9h
    aj
  8. phil3315

phil3315 Member

i've also heard of putting the phone in a bag of rice to get the rest of the moisture out. the only problem with the fridge is that water will condense on the phone when u take it out of the fridge.
    i've also soaked wet phones in 70% rubbing alcohol to displace the water. there may be issues with that, but it worked for my E815.
  9. rah1420

rah1420 New Member

Not just phones

My daughter did the toilet-phone trick and made the fatal mistake of turning it on. However when she did the same thing to her PC she was smarter and asked me what to do about it. I set the convection oven to 100 degrees and stuck it in there for about 4 hours with the cover open and the CD-rom door open. Viola, it's still going strong. :laugh:
  10. sherri

sherri Active Member

How the he** do you drop a laptop in the toilet???
  11. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Who left the lid up?
    That's got to be a big toilet or a very small pc cause there isn't that much water down there.
  12. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

I had all sorts of "visual" thoughts of that too but was too embarrased to ask. :) -Q
  13. rah1420

rah1420 New Member

LOL Sorry for the miscommunication. Two separate events, both having to do with water. Phone ==> toilet. Laptop <== glass of water.

That'll teach me to post without proofreading to see if I any words out. :embarassed:
  14. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

I have to ask..... was the glass half full? :p
  15. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Sorry, I wont be drinking at your house if you confuse a glass with a toilet.
  16. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

ever been to a Denny's?
  17. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

18. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

OUCH !!!!! LOL +1, man !!! :) -Q
  19. bommor

bommor New Member

The oven thing worked! I knocked my phone into the sink as I was doing dishes, immediately grabbed it and took out the battery. I'm in a college dorm, so no uncooked rice to try :( I left it overnight to dry, and that didn't really work - it went to a white screen, when it did turn on. Then I saw this thread, decided to try the oven. As soon as I took it out and let it cool down, it turned back on perfectly. No problems so far, *knock on wood* Thanks everyone!
  20. Flint the Mint

Flint the Mint New Member

so you can soak the entire phone in rubbing alcohal, screen and all? tell me someone here has done this.