HELP!!Dropped phone in water!!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by raiderq9c, Jul 21, 2008.

  1. raiderq9c

    raiderq9c New Member

    HELP!!Dropped phone in water!!

    Knocked phone into my dogs water bowl tonight. Whats the best way to get this thing back to working condition. Here is a break down of the events..
    -arm pushes phone off couch into bowl
    -grab phone out of the water
    -phone is off
    -take back door off
    -battery and all components behind door are dry
    -tried to shake out and dry off water

    Im too scared to put the battery back in and check. I do have the replacement thing through sprint. But I don't want to drop 50 bucks to get a refurbished phone since they dont make them anymore. What do i do?
  2. MisterTedster

    MisterTedster New Member

    put the phone and battery in a bowl of uncooked rice overnight. The dry rice acts as a dessicant. Good luck!
    -from my Q9c
  3. Weapondrift

    Weapondrift New Member

    dont you worry, weve all done this once or twice. Something that worked for me is to put the phone in a glass of RUBBING ALCHOHAL. NOT I repeat NOT! the alchohal you drink. Let it sit for an hour or two and let the phone dry. The alchohal will actually cause the water in the phone to evaporate leaving a nice workable phone. Let me know what happens.
  4. Weapondrift

    Weapondrift New Member

    heres a site that might also help
    http://www.microsoft.com/student/socialize/windows-mobile.aspx?articleid=save-wet-cell-phone
  5. gr8mick1

    gr8mick1 New Member

    remove battery pre heat oven to 150 and place phone on middle rack for 1 hour.
  6. raiderq9c

    raiderq9c New Member

    Ok so i did a few of the little tricks before i powered it on this evening.I put in in a full bowl of rice all night, this did a fairly good job. Then I put it in the oven at 100 for 3hrs. This seemed to do a good job of drying the back of the screen which has been a pain in the ass to dry out ( the area the rice failed). Then i ran a vacuum over it for around 20 min while watching t.v. (with headphones). Powered it on and everything seems to work fine. Thanks to all that helped. I cant beleive this thing still works!!!
  7. taseedorf

    taseedorf New Member

    Dont put phone in oven!

    PLEASE DONT PUT PHONE IN OVEN!

    Use a hairdryer, this worked amazing for my q. take out battery. also, take as MUCH of it apart as you can safely and dry it out with the hairdryer....dont hold the hairdryer in one place too long either....


    by using the over you will harm your device in the long run, use it as a last resort I guess.
  8. raiderq9c

    raiderq9c New Member

    I have heard that the hairdryer will do more harm to the phone, by forcing water into smaller areas. Thus using radiant heat at a low temp or a vacuum works the best. Why do you say not to use the oven. The oven seemed to work the best and the phone acctually works just as good as it did before.
  9. rudeboy

    rudeboy New Member

    tell me you are joking.... and/or forgot the smiley.
  10. taseedorf

    taseedorf New Member


    The reason I say not to use an oven is for a variety of reasons. First being some of the glues and sealant used should not get that hot. It can deteriorate the phone. Secondly, the pieces on the outside of the phone are not meant to take prolonged heat for that long. The internal pieces MAY be okay, however, it is not a good idea.

    As for the hair dryer. You keep it about 5 inches away and move it around the phone. This works, I know from experience.

    There are a few pieces in the phone that if they got damaged and didn't get clean quick enough, it's kapuuey anyways.
  11. taseedorf

    taseedorf New Member


    I'm glad it still works, but I still would recommend no oven next time ;)
  12. Peregrine

    Peregrine Member

    Keep in mind he said to set the oven at 100 degrees, fellaz. It gets much hotter then this every day in Arizona among other places, and we don't see a lot of phones dying in AZ, NM, TX.... from heat anyway.
  13. thangee

    thangee New Member

    haha. this reminds me of my post.. i recently jumped into the pool w/ my q9c in my pocket. i tried the rice n blowdryer thing and it never worked again. it turned on, but only got the the M screen, then just went blank again. i just ended up buying a new q9c. i tried to bring it into Sprint, but apparently there's a small white dot behind the battery cover that is an indicator if it touches water, the dot turns pink.. oh well, i learned my lesson. from now on i double and triple check my pockets before jumping into the pool. that was a pretty expensive mistake on my part. lol.

    :angry::2cool::tounge:
  14. sherri

    sherri Active Member

    Either that, or get insurance for the phone!:wink:
  15. thangee

    thangee New Member

    i dont think insurance covers water damage, does it? when i brought it into the Sprint store, they told me that insurance doesn't cover water damage.. i hope they weren't lying to me..
  16. sherri

    sherri Active Member


    I don't know who Sprint uses for their insurance plan...Verizon and AT & T both use an outside company called Assurion. It absolutely covers water damage. Also covers all physical damage (like dropping the phone from a moving truck...and cracking the screen) and even theft.

    Some say it's too expensive ($5.99 per month), but I wouldn't have a phone without the insurance. I even got a FREE new chocolate for my son, but I have the insurance on that also!(He's 12, and chances of loss/breakage/or theft are quite high!) There is a $50.00 deductible.
  17. sleepy6288

    sleepy6288 New Member

    i've done the oven thing with 3 seperate phones and its worked like a charm in all 3 occasions

    sanyo mm-8300
    moto q9c
    blackerry curve 8310
  18. raiderq9c

    raiderq9c New Member

    EXACTLY! I live in Houston and down here it gets mighty hot during the summer. Im pretty sure that leaving my phone anywhere outside or in my car during the summer would have ruined it months ago. I highly recommend putting the phone in the oven on no higher than 100 degrees. for a couple of hours. Or just wait till the middle of the day and put it in your car. LOL. Nothing on the phone was even remotely damaged, and it works like a charm.
  19. Fritz G.

    Fritz G. New Member

    Anything that will drive out the moisture without causing condensation will work, as long as it is not heat at a level beyond what the device is rated for. 100 degrees isn't usually too hot...the thing you have to be careful of with an oven is most are not that accurate. Also, a gas oven usually also produces combustion byproducts and moisture issues.

    I have seen several different electronic items (i.e. phones, pagers, two-way radios) dropped in the water. If you immediately (!) remove the battery, shake out any excess water and allow it to dry, it can be ok. I've seen people put their devices on the dashboard of their car for a couple of days, in a window sill in the sun, in a bowl of uncooked rice, or oven and it all work. Just don't be impatient, give it more time than you think it needs, and NEVER use a microwave!

    None of these things may work, but at least they are things you can try, and good luck to any who need to try:laugh2:
  20. rfarrah

    rfarrah New Member

    My daughter soaked her phone - we shook out the water and put it on the floor vent (heater) for a couple days. Good as new.

Share This Page